Who's In...Who's Out?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Re: Who's In...Who's Out?

Post by FossaFerox » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:01 pm

Yikes. That's terrifying. Did they look real out of curiosity?
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Monkeystyle
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Post by Monkeystyle » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:39 pm

FossaFerox wrote:Yikes. That's terrifying. Did they look real out of curiosity?
Just jumped to page 4 then had to go back to page three to find the context to this statement... it was funnier without tensed story before it... :?

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:33 pm

Holy crap. Jesus, it's only a freekin ticket to a party in the desert. It's not like you're waiting for a kidney transplant....
Praise the Lowered

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:02 pm

(Contrary chorus) Oh yes it is!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Actually, i think I left my liver out there last year. I'm gonna go back and look for it this year.

My first year, I bought some tickets off a guy on craigslist at the last minute for about half price. I worried all the way up there that I might get turned away at the gate with fake or otherwise invalid tickets. It was fine though..
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:43 pm

remi wrote:
dragonpilot wrote:Personally, I don't give a huge fuck that you got your ticket...quit gloating!
Obtaining a ticket is a good practice of radical self reliance. Once acquired, the overwhelming feeling of accomplishment justifies the needing to express one's feelings in a forum thread that was started specifically for this one purpose. I'll gloat all I want and couldn't give a shit that you "don't give a huge fuck."
Well...I don't give a fuck that you don't give a shit that I don't give a fuck...and getting a ticket to Burning Man is radical self reliance by sitting at a computer and hoping you're lucky enough to score one? That's about as much radical self reliance as microwaving a frozen TV dinner.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

remi

Post by remi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:21 am

dragonpilot wrote:
remi wrote:
dragonpilot wrote:Personally, I don't give a huge fuck that you got your ticket...quit gloating!
Obtaining a ticket is a good practice of radical self reliance. Once acquired, the overwhelming feeling of accomplishment justifies the needing to express one's feelings in a forum thread that was started specifically for this one purpose. I'll gloat all I want and couldn't give a shit that you "don't give a huge fuck."
Well...I don't give a fuck that you don't give a shit that I don't give a fuck...and getting a ticket to Burning Man is radical self reliance by sitting at a computer and hoping you're lucky enough to score one? That's about as much radical self reliance as microwaving a frozen TV dinner.

If it was that easy, then why don't you have one?

I was just pointing out that maybe you should get mad at people for being happy about having a ticket in a tread meant for people to do that. There is a difference between venting and being a big jerk.

And my passive aggressive response to your post was a jerk move, so I apologize. Good luck procuring a ticket.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:36 am

I apologize

i appreciate your canadian-ness.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:48 am

I am in.. Within an hour of confirming the ticket a strange feeling came over me..
I was deciding in my mind if I really should go this year.. WTF was that all about.

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2022
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:43 am

remi wrote:
dragonpilot wrote:...and getting a ticket to Burning Man is radical self reliance by sitting at a computer and hoping you're lucky enough to score one? That's about as much radical self reliance as microwaving a frozen TV dinner.
If it was that easy, then why don't you have one?

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:45 pm

Deep breaths, folks.... now's that slightly awkward period where some of us are excited about having gotten our tickets out of the way, while others are trying not to panic because they don't have their tickets out of the way yet. Sure, some of those who missed out simply spaced out on the sale - but most didn't. Let's not get into a haves vs. have nots thing. I took this thread to be less about gloating (or sour grapes) and more about sharing excitement and determination.

From what I've seen on the boards in 2011, 2012, and 2013, those who are determined and vigilant (as in keep participating vs. check in once every two months to complain about tickets not having appeared in their laps) get their tickets sorted out. I've got a couple ticketless campmates too, but am confident they'll get them in plenty of time.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:55 pm

i just said if I dont get the tickets , ill take a bike trip,about 3000 miles or so , take 2 weeks off . So one way or another , im going to have a good time :)
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:15 pm

Time to stop thinking about the ticket you didn't get, and start thinking about the ticket you're gonna get!!! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:56 pm

Shit, in 2008 the guy at the gate took my ticket, hardly looked at it, ripped it and gave me the stub, and kept the big part of the ticket.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Yolo_Fairy

Post by Yolo_Fairy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:18 am

First time I tried but I got through to the sale page in about 30 seconds after they went on sale.....I guess for some people it was just meant to be huh.

C187
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:27 am

Trilo is right. If you keep a look out for one, you'll get one. Even if you're the only burner in your area you'll be able to find one in time.
So don't worry. You all still have the OMG sale, STEP, random people, and even scalpers offloading at the last minute.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:06 am

^THIS^

***serious face on***

i have told all of my friends the same thing because it is true.

RELAX....go about your lives....plan your art, do your art, enjoy, and stop freaking the fuck out.

sit, like a zen spider, and wait...

2 weeks before the event it will begin to break as plans are changed, people get sick, people flake out and chicken out and someones cat's grandma died at the bar mitzvah they could not miss.

TRUST ME PLEASE, if you are diligent , the closer it gets, the wider your options will be and you will get what you seek.

be careful as always, but there will be PLENTY of legit ticks avail from legit people at face value...

DO NOT GIVE IN TO FEAR AND BUY FROM SCALPERS......thats what they want.

if you really want to get there you will get there, this is a truth, i have seen it many times, under many circumstances, its just part of the process.

i hope everyone who reads this takes it to heart, because its fucking true.

***serious face off***
Frida Be You & Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:25 am

Did you wake up on the mellow side of the bed of nails this morning or what? :shock:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

TT120
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:32 am

FIGJAM wrote:Did you wake up on the mellow side of the bed of nails this morning or what? :shock:
I was wondering about that myself. Maybe he forgot to log on with his nice sock. :twisted:

Simon, you alright man?
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:41 am

TT120 wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:Did you wake up on the mellow side of the bed of nails this morning or what? :shock:
I was wondering about that myself. Maybe he forgot to log on with his nice sock. :twisted:

Simon, you alright man?
His profile must have been hacked.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Monkeystyle
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Post by Monkeystyle » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:45 am

So I'm not the only one that found simmons post strangely comforting for people? Good good...

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:48 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:^THIS^

***serious face on***

i have told all of my friends the same thing because it is true.

RELAX....go about your lives....plan your art, do your art, enjoy, and stop freaking the fuck out.

sit, like a zen spider, and wait...

2 weeks before the event it will begin to break as plans are changed, people get sick, people flake out and chicken out and someones cat's grandma died at the bar mitzvah they could not miss.

TRUST ME PLEASE, if you are diligent , the closer it gets, the wider your options will be and you will get what you seek.

be careful as always, but there will be PLENTY of legit ticks avail from legit people at face value...

DO NOT GIVE IN TO FEAR AND BUY FROM SCALPERS......thats what they want.

if you really want to get there you will get there, this is a truth, i have seen it many times, under many circumstances, its just part of the process.

i hope everyone who reads this takes it to heart, because its fucking true.

***serious face off***

Simon speaks the truth.

*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:04 pm

trilobyte wrote:Deep breaths, folks.... now's that slightly awkward period where some of us are excited about having gotten our tickets out of the way, while others are trying not to panic because they don't have their tickets out of the way yet. Sure, some of those who missed out simply spaced out on the sale - but most didn't. Let's not get into a haves vs. have nots thing. I took this thread to be less about gloating (or sour grapes) and more about sharing excitement and determination.

From what I've seen on the boards in 2011, 2012, and 2013, those who are determined and vigilant (as in keep participating vs. check in once every two months to complain about tickets not having appeared in their laps) get their tickets sorted out. I've got a couple ticketless campmates too, but am confident they'll get them in plenty of time.
Now this is what I call radical self reliance...determination, vigilance, as well as plumbing every conceivable source available to get that ticket. For the last, what, two years...this is how many of us have procured our tickets...trolling every possible resource and receptacle, tapping everyone we know, leaving no tern unstoned. Your excitement may come from winning the "lottery" which wasn't more than being first in line. For many of us scoring a ticket the hard way is wherein lays the truest and purest excitement. As always, YMMV.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

PermaBurgin
Burning Since: 2018

Post by PermaBurgin » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:13 pm

Just mentioning this. Of the 8 people I know trying to get tickets, two of us got them. BOTH of us say that we qued at 11:59, though it is possible our clocks were off.
EDIT: Also I've seen some legit-looking burning man tickets available for face value online, and I haven't been searching. Is it really that hard?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:38 pm

PermaBurgin wrote:Just mentioning this. Of the 8 people I know trying to get tickets, two of us got them. BOTH of us say that we qued at 11:59, though it is possible our clocks were off.
It's probably just random luck of the draw. I'm not even sure if your initial placement in the queue -- if there was a queue -- really mattered. Maybe it was just a matter of timing when your page refreshed. Or maybe people closer to TicketFly's servers received service first. Who knows?
EDIT: Also I've seen some legit-looking burning man tickets available for face value online, and I haven't been searching. Is it really that hard?
Do they come with a bridge in Brooklyn? No tickets have been issued yet and many of these "tickets" sold online are sold by people betting that they can buy a ticket later and just resell it. Your best bet is to sign up for STEP, jump on deals when you can find them (especially through regionals or your friend network) and wait it out. I know that if I decide not to go, my tickets will be sold to friends first before being distributed back into STEP. It's just how it goes.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

fabigothangel
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BRTA Playa Airport

Post by fabigothangel » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:38 pm

: Also I've seen some legit-looking burning man tickets available for face value online, and I haven't been searching. Is it really that hard?[/quote]

Yes It will be hard for a while, we will have better chance when the event get closer to start, some people will have tickets that want to sell for multiple reasons
live free and thrive

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:53 pm

No one will have tickets to sell until tickets have been issued..

There areNO AFTER MARKET TICKETS AT THIS TIME..

fabigothangel
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BRTA Playa Airport

Post by fabigothangel » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:54 pm

There are[size=200]NO AFTER MARKET TICKETS AT THIS TIME.. [/size][/quote]

We heard you loud and clear :-)
live free and thrive

kiss-o-matic

Post by kiss-o-matic » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:28 am

BBadger wrote:
PermaBurgin wrote:Just mentioning this. Of the 8 people I know trying to get tickets, two of us got them. BOTH of us say that we qued at 11:59, though it is possible our clocks were off.
It's probably just random luck of the draw. I'm not even sure if your initial placement in the queue -- if there was a queue -- really mattered. Maybe it was just a matter of timing when your page refreshed. Or maybe people closer to TicketFly's servers received service first. Who knows?
Clocks were probably off. Of course I don't know for sure, but do we really have any reason to think people that didn't click the link right at 12:00:00 got in line before people that did? Seems a bit wacky to me. I think there was probably a little bit of luck involved, but timing was everything.

For STEP entry and or the OMG sale, Google NTP. I believe OSX uses it automatically when you check the automatic button.

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:13 pm

FossaFerox wrote:Yikes. That's terrifying. Did they look real out of curiosity?
No clue - but these were Noobs so maybe a little easier to fool. I think it likely that they were real tickets that had been cancelled. It was so sad when they saw our dusty rig and came up to tell us their story. I suggested they join eplaya for better insight.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

Return to “2014 Tickets Discussion”