Where did you lucky people get your tickets?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
deia
Burning Since: 2011

Where did you lucky people get your tickets?

Post by deia » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:25 am

Where did you lucky people get your tickets? The night the regular sale started I was sitting, all geared up to make a purchase (and ready to wait all night long, if necessary). The system kept booting me out and 45min later, it was all gone!
~~~~
It's the mistakes and the impulses that always result in best adventures
~~~~

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: London,UK to BRC - have a flight but still no ticket

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:38 am

There was the presale and then the directed sale before the general sale. Presale used to be the holiday sale, but it got pushed back. Those are higher priced.
Directed sale is by invite for returning core burners of established theme camps, mutant vehicles and art installations. Even though I have a theme camp, I still have to get my invite through Hushville. Even then, no one is supposed to extend the invites to entire camps or crews. They can be resold, as there is nothing special about them. Directed sale can sell out, just not quite as quickly. It arose after the lottery year, in order to give some continuity to the event, in order to balance out the number of newbs and veterans with proven track records.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:33 pm

That and while you were not successful, 38,000 other people were successful in getting tickets on February 26th.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:09 am

I got my tickets in the direct group sale. It was a lot less intense than the main sale seemed to be (in both sales there was a bunch of our camp all in IRC chat comparing notes). And yeah I guess Trilo is right the whole reason it was hard to get tickets was that 38,000 people did...

Stickygreen

Re: Where did you lucky people get your tickets?

Post by Stickygreen » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:25 pm

when they went on sale.....
)'(

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:20 am

Joined the queue on the website within a few minutes of it going up. Followed the directions not to refresh prematurely. Visited another tab. Returned after about a minute and the buy-your-tickets page was ready.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

deia
Burning Since: 2011

Post by deia » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:04 am

trilobyte wrote:That and while you were not successful, 38,000 other people were successful in getting tickets on February 26th.
mhm, a 'rat race'...
~~~~
It's the mistakes and the impulses that always result in best adventures
~~~~

remi

Post by remi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:16 am

And even after the main sale finished, people were able to join a STEP cue and were lucky enough to procure a ticket that way. You had to be pretty quick at joining STEP (just like getting a ticket through the main sale,) if you plan on being successful.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:36 pm

I was traveling so unable to be online for the open sale (main sale?), but my sweetie was right on top of the button and got two tickets and the vehicle pass.

I do consider myself extremely lucky. We have campmates in step and ready for the OMG, but still no tickets for at least 4 of them.
In dust we trust.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:44 pm

deia wrote:
trilobyte wrote:That and while you were not successful, 38,000 other people were successful in getting tickets on February 26th.
mhm, a 'rat race'...

If you don't get a ticket, it's a 'rat race'. If you do get a ticket, it's a fair way to distribute tickets when there are waaaaaaaaay more people than tickets for an event with a limited number of bodies-on-playa allowed.

The fact that it's always going to sell out now, and that more and more people are clamoring for a very limited pile of tickets may suck, but it's reality. Maybe a harsh reality, but reality none the less.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

omegared
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Kamp Joe 4 President

Post by omegared » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:37 am

I, like you, failed to get a ticket in the individual sale... and due to a critical computer failure didn't end up getting in the STEP que until about 5 hours after it opened. Because I didn't particularly have much hope of getting a STEP ticket I spent about 2 months camped out in the Tickets Offered forum here on ePlaya making an offer on ANYTHING that popped up. About two weeks ago I was able to snag a presale ticket at face value. :D :D :D !!!
"Honey you don't want to be in your tent right now. I looks like Burning Man THREW UP in there."

Return to “2014 Tickets Discussion”