Will call purchases from a person I can't meet

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Roma
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Buddha Lounge

Will call purchases from a person I can't meet

Postby Roma » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:47 pm

Hello,

I've been focusing on making a local ticket purchase as that is the most secure. However as time is running now, I am looking at options were I can't meet person directly. Below are concerns I have. Any help would be appreciated.

1) I've read the advice that PayPal, etc offers buyer protection. However, the terms specify that intangible items are not covered. Would a will call transfer be considered "intangible?" On one hand, you're not getting a physical item from seller directly, but on the other, eventually you will pick up a physical ticket at will call. If any one knows, or has experience in dealing with PayPal after being scammed, I'd really appreciate.

2) It's suggested to get photo copy of ID and signed letter for will call transfers. This is helpful for an in-person sale. But if you're dealing with someone who you've never seen, how do you know. I guess ask them to video chat?

3) You're supposed to ask for serial number. So I can check the serial number against the voided ticket list. But what if they just make up a number with the same pattern?

I am thinking I can give the seller 15 minutes to complete transfer, and if I don't see it on my ticketfly account, put a stop payment immediately? What do you guys think?

I also have a more specific question… I got a response to one of my craigslists ads by someone offering me a will call ticket paid through PayPal. What makes me a little suspicious is that he is from Denver, CO and is looking at Craigslist postings in Los Angeles, especially since I assume there are plenty of people in Denver who would be interested

Thank you so much for the advice!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Will call purchases from a person I can't meet

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:50 pm

!) Ask PayPal--we don't know their policies.
3) You get to decide how risk tolerant/adverse you are. Some voided tickets may not be on the list when you buy, but show up there later.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Name of Chris? Have you looked at the this post?

https://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic ... 7#p1033537

But yea, ask paypal directly. Best of luck.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Postby GreyCoyote » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Ask for a color photo of the ticket. Pay by wire transfer to their checking account. If the deal is a bust, you now have the real, verified name of the seller for litigation, and the banks records showing payment as Exhibit A.

If they wont do these things, the odds are REALLY good its a scam.

FWIW, I had several ticket holders suddenly evaporate when faced with this. They didnt have the tickets, but they wanted my money.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby pink » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:15 pm

I wouldn't rely on the voided tickets list. It hasn't been updated since the first posting.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Return to “2014 Tickets Discussion”