Hi Friends!

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Viridian Diamond
Burning Since: 2016

Hi Friends!

Post by Viridian Diamond » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:40 pm

So, Hi. Virgin Here. I REALLY want to go to Burning Man, but seeing as how tickets sold out in 40 minutes, I feel like 2015 won't be much better. Does anyone have advice on like, idk..I don't want to buy off craigslist or something shady, but is there a way to work on a theme camp or something art related and that group will have extra tickets for me to purchase one? Sorry if this question is lame, or dumb or uneducated...I genuinely have no idea how it works....any input would be much appreciated.I am also not sure where to post this either..I am new to eplaya ...this is my second post.

Thanks again loves!

FIGJAM

Re: Hi Friends!

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:47 pm

The pre-sale is almost a sure thing!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:55 pm

FIGJAM wrote:The pre-sale is almost a sure thing!
At least it used to be.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:18 am

To answer your questions, sort of.

If you are a strong member of a theme camp, your camp might get a chunk of the direct distribution tickets before the main sale, and you might get a crack at buying one of those tickets and possibly early entry.

If you're a key member of an honorarium art grant project, they are usually gifted some tickets from the Org and if your art lead thinks you're essential you might get a gift ticket and early entry.

For those two scenarios...you should probably expect that you'll do a decent amount of work, and might need to go to BRC early in order to help build.

However...if you're involved IN ANY WAY with an art project or a theme camp or just a normal non-placed camp...it vastly increases your chance of finding and buying a ticket. Burners value the fuck out of their personal network. Our plans changed this year and I had to sell two tickets. One went into STEP (look that up, be prepared to sign up for it). The other was eventually sold to a person that I knew. I was happy to sell to someone who wasn't going to scam me, they were happy to buy from someone who wasn't going to scam them.

Friend of a friend is still WAY better than craigslist. Find a group of burners, work and party with them, which is fun anyway. The ticket-finding network is very active within these small communities.

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:36 am

Getting involved with your local community is your best bet for a ticket nowadays, in my opinion. It's almost decompression time, I'm willing to bet there's probably an event somewhere close to you. That would be a great way to get to know some folks, maybe you'll even find a camp or art project that suits you!

Camps and art projects, if they receive tickets, generally only receive enough to cover a skeleton crew, if that. I have friends who run a Keyhole theme camp on the 9:00 side, and for their 120ish person camp, they received a total of seven tickets to buy in the direct sale. But, being involved with a camp or art project can greatly increase your chances. As has been said before, burners value their local community, and will generally go there first before selling a ticket on craigslist. I know there were tickets floating around in my own community all the way up to the week before the Burn.

Getting involved is your best bet! :)

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by Joeln » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:34 am

This was my first year and for a while I was stressing about tickets.
Everybody was saying the same thing - get involved.
Ultimately I saw several tickets come available and even the craigslist ones - when you do a local transaction you can figure out which friend of a friend the person offering is connected to and get a character reference.

In particular, getting involved with your local burners beforehand gives you a chance to personally make your own judgements about character.

For 2015 I'm not so worried, I'll just keep working at it until I get my ticket.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Viridian Diamond
Burning Since: 2016

Post by Viridian Diamond » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:50 am

Thank you all! <3 This is all incredibly helpful. I know we have a burner regional event here, I will be sure to look more into it. Thanks again. <3

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:39 pm

All of the above! Our camp had two tix come available at literally the last minute; the earliest of our build team was already on playa & we lost two of the team due to personal emergencies while they were in transit. Those tix went to friends of one of our build team who were in SF & ready to roll. So tix do become available. Those that plan (and are ready to roll at the last minute) do burn!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Return to “2014 Tickets Discussion”