Art Project Missing from Deep Playa

chemicalpilate
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Glitter Apocalypse

Art Project Missing from Deep Playa

Post by chemicalpilate » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:57 pm

Went to retrieve my art project from Deep Playa on Monday to find it completely AWOL. Wood, rebar, electronics, all vanished. Currently seeking 3 pcs. 3/8" rebar, 3 triple-D powered light-sensitive illumination units, 18 pcs 2x4 lumber ranging from 18 to 50" long, and 12 pcs 4x4 lumber all 15" long. I don't really need the paracord that was used for tiedown and light-hanging.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Art Project Missing from Deep Playa

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:04 pm

chemicalpilate - do you have a photo of the piece? It might help people (or Lost & Found) identify it.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

chemicalpilate

Post by chemicalpilate » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:22 pm

Sadly no photos - intended to take a few when we broke it down!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:28 pm

Can you tell us what it looked like? You are more likely to get everyone's help if we could picture the piece. Also my camp mate is a shutterbug. She may have a photo of it.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

chemicalpilate

Post by chemicalpilate » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:38 pm

Sure, I'd love to know someone caught it on film/CCD. There were three benches made of wooden slats, arranged at 120 degree angles to one another and concave-side pointing to the city. The benches were located just to the right of Point 3 and the vulture–cat-alien exhibit that has been out there in various incarnations over the years. I know it was visible more than 100 ft away - we actually had a decent view of the lights halfway to David Best's temple.

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:25 am

Are you sure you have the location right? I explored that section of deep playa the first Monday after gate and didn't see anything like what you're describing. We visited every dot of light between the temple and point 3 after having left the city from the 2 o'clock side by the Celtic Castle and entering it by White Ocean. We were less careful about hitting every point near the very beginning/end of our trek, but towards the middle I'm pretty sure we hit every single point of light out there.

Did your project have two large upright beams of wood spaced maybe four to five feet apart? If so the benches were already gone when we got there, only a couple of solar lights/upright beams remained. We assumed at the time it was something someone had started to build but hadn't had time to finish due to the weather.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:31 am

They were there on Friday afternoon. Sadly I didn't take pictures either. But it was a great view.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:30 pm

Are you sure you have the location right? I explored that section of deep playa the first Monday after gate and didn't see anything like what you're describing. We visited every dot of light between the temple and point 3 after having left the city from the 2 o'clock side by the Celtic Castle and entering it by White Ocean. We were less careful about hitting every point near the very beginning/end of our trek, but towards the middle I'm pretty sure we hit every single point of light out there.
Thanks for the laugh. I'm pretty sure the artist knows the location. (GPS and all). Who here hasn't missed an art installation?
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

otakup0pe
Burning Since: 2012

Post by otakup0pe » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:44 am

Ratty wrote: Thanks for the laugh. I'm pretty sure the artist knows the location. (GPS and all). Who here hasn't missed an art installation?
Yeah, no. Pretty sure not every artist has a handheld GPS unit. For deep playa projects, given the changing landscape, it can sometimes be difficult to find your art again. Especially if it does not have a distinctive lighting pattern or silhouette.

Serious answer though for chemicalpilate - you should reach out to your art contact. They may have some additional information for you.

Return to “Lost Equipment & Tools”