Missing Cameras -Born to Roam Project

Born To Roam
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Porch Times

Missing Cameras -Born to Roam Project

Post by Born To Roam » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:21 pm

Hello!!!

My name is Inappropriate. This year at the Burn I started a photo project (Born to Roam) in which I gifted out 38 different hand decorated film cameras to other Burners. Of my 38 I have only gotten back 16 cameras. I figured I would see if any of you lovely people had stumbled across any of them.

Each camera has a name on them, they all should have wrist wraps and hopefully they still contain a laminated card with all my personal information/instructions.
Below are photos of all the remaining cameras I am looking for, if any of them are in your hands let me know!!

Please contact me on here or email me- borntoroamburningman@gmail.com

Thank you so much!

Inappropriate (Chad)

missing cameras.jpg

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Missing Cameras -Born to Roam Project

Post by Bless » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:18 am

What was the purpose of the project? Why do you expect them to be returned? Will you post the photos online?

Very neat looking cameras :D
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Born To Roam

Post by Born To Roam » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:01 am

Hi Bless!

The purpose of the project is to capture as many moments of the burn as possible from as many different perspectives as possible. Without getting the cameras back I will not be able to compile all the photos together and share them with all of you! They are all film cameras, so the film needs to be processed, scanned and organized. The photos will be shared online on a website I am currently working on, as well as several other places. Its a fun project that I am very passionate about. I plan on making it bigger and better in the coming years! But none of it really works out unless I get the cameras (or rather just the film inside the cameras) back!

smiffman
Burning Since: 2014

Post by smiffman » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:19 am

Cool project, can't wait for the visuals........

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Super cool project, bravo. Were the recipients instructed to return the cameras and/or film?
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:59 pm

I was supposed to come get one of your cameras and totally forgot :(

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:01 pm

Honestly, at more than a third returned, you're doing pretty damn well with getting them back. I realize that it's frustrating and all, but there's going to be a fair amount of loss on a project like this.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Born To Roam

Post by Born To Roam » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:03 pm

@Bless Each Camera went out with instructions attached on how the project worked as well as return information. I also personally took down contact information for each recipient and encouraged them to pass the camera along with instructions on how to return it to me. Come check out the whole project at https://www.facebook.com/BorntoRoamBurningman

@Jovankat Oh No!! I'm sorry that I wasn't able to get you a camera!! Next year let's make sure we connect!

@theCryptofishist The return rate has been incredible. Last year I did a similar project with only 4 cameras and only received back 1 so originally we were shooting for a 25% return rate so we are blown away at this point, but we wanted to reach out to all of our possible connections through anyway we can in hopes of finding one or two more, but also to spread the word about the project as well as hear stories from other Burners about their interactions with these cameras. I have found that the story of where these cameras travel is almost just as amazing as the photos that come with them. The gifting process gives the camera a sort of autonomy from the people shooting the photos. By multiplying the operators and personifying the cameras themselves they start to turn into a separate story of their own. Being able to hear the stories is what I really have enjoyed the most about this project and ultimately there is no loss in gifting. :)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Ah, good. Of course, you want as many as possible.
You've probably heard of this already, but this is a similar project.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Lost Gadgets (Cameras, Phones, MP3 Players)”