Idea for a collaborated art piece, who's interested?

Find out more about projects that need your help, and how you can show them support. Please note: only on-playa projects may be listed
yellfireinatheater
Burning Since: 2009

Idea for a collaborated art piece, who's interested?

Post by yellfireinatheater » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:47 pm

My idea is an enchanted forest, which I have wanted to build for years but is far too large of a project for myself and my few interested friends. I was thinking that if small groups from all over commit to one tree each it could actually look like a small forest. I'm picturing surreal and interactive trees. Some ideas that I had were trees that were also instruments, one with a book shelf for a trunk with books for people to take, a hallow tree with distorted mirrors inside. I also thought it would be cool to invite people to leave magical things there, like lawn gnomes or fairies. I have too many ideas to do all of them and I think I prefer the idea of collaboration and the forest growing through the week. I am very interested to see what other ideas people have for it. I know it's like 50 weeks away I just wanted to see if anyone would be interested or if I should start thinking of something else.
Last edited by yellfireinatheater on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Idea for a collaborated art piece, who's interested?

Post by VultureChow » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:54 pm

Do one tree. Make it the best tree you can. People will love your tree. If they love it enough, they will want to bring their own tree to grow your forest the next year.

Is there a regional near you? Build one tree and then bring the materials to have others build trees at the regional.

I'm not being glib. I've learned that we all have amazing ideas and not enough time/people to make them happen. Making other people see your vision and buy into it is as big a skill as the art itself. And learning to scale to one's resources/abilities has been an important lesson for me.
Sic Semper Spectatores

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:56 pm

Reminds me of the mangrove installations around the man base in 2007.

Personally, I'd be wary of creating a piece that invited people to leave you things - that's a potential recipe for disaster (read as MOOP collection station or dumping ground). You may also want to think more collaboratively - instead of just getting numerous teams of people to build your project for you, keep things open and let each team come up with what they'd be excited to build.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:58 pm

Good starting now, as the logistics will be something. How big a tree? How are you going to put it up? Are you going to try and place it? How long will the build take? If you get some eas will tree-builders be okay if someone else puts up their tree?

And a different question--is this something that you'd be willing to do over the course of 2 or 3 years, having it get bigger (i.e. more pieces) each time? You can always start with the frontage of your camp.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

yellfireinatheater

Post by yellfireinatheater » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:03 pm

I have done one tree before, I had meant to have one for each season but failed miserably. It is something I'm thinking of trying again and yes, having people ad to it year after year. I also considered that having people leave stuff might getc MOOPY aswell. I'd like the trees to be fairly large, but was thinking we could have an early crew for those that couldn't place the trees themselves. I was thinking it might be cool to be placed by the trash fence but would want to hear all involved artists requests first.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:06 pm

At some point you're going to have to take charge. That isn't to say that listening to the ideas other people have isn't important, but at some point you get to be/have to be the dictator.

I may be way ahead of things right now.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

yellfireinatheater

Post by yellfireinatheater » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:11 pm

@trilobyte, that is what I meant by collective. I edited my first post because it was a little unclear, but that is what I find most exciting about it, is all the crazy shit other people would think of

@cryptofish, I know that as well but like I said this is all just brainstorming for now and if you ask any of my camp mates they will testify I am not shy about taking charge :)

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:33 pm

You've built one tree before. As said, build the best damn tree you can. Use it as a prototype to inspire/motivate/direct/unify/prove the idea to others. The collaborators can then make their trees each with a difference, yet maintain the uniformity of the forest. Your core builders can put up the seed trees of the forest, and if you run a on-line fundraising, or post on eplaya, or get the vision out there, others can then create their own trees based on the overall design to add to the forest. Design and show, with details, one kick ass tree able to withstand the elements to start with. Do not start with a plan larger than you can carry out, without detail, just vague notions, with the feeling that others will do it while you direct. Do what is possible before taking on more. And instead of leaves -too moopy- use feathers.
ambition.gif
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Return to “2014 On-Playa Project Fundraisers”