2015 Honorarium Art Grants & Midway Participants

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

2015 Honorarium Art Grants & Midway Participants

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 14, 2015 4:26 pm

The list of the 2015 Honorarium art installations (ie projects that got a grant from Burning Man to help cover some of their costs) is now live on the main site.... Really awesome stuff, check it out!

Beyond that amazing list (and I can not stress enough how awesome those projects look), Burning Man has also announced the list of the 26 regional and artistic groups from around the world who have been selected to create booths in the Carnival Of Mirrors Midway at the heart of the man pavilion. They are:

• Baltic States - Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia: Baltic Altar
  • Baltimore, MD: Macabre Penny Arcade
  • Boston, MA: Shock-A-Chakra
  • Colorado: The Discombobulater
  • Czech Republic: In-sight-out
  • Japan: Venus Lift - Mega Mikoshi
  • Jeremy Burmeister (Malvoye the Mentalist); East Bay, CA: Doktor Malvoye's Travelling Clinic
  • KJ Bohéme and Stefan Spins; New York, NY: Journey Into The Man
  • Los Angeles, CA: Infinite Community
  • Minnesota: Sideshow Sven and Professor Lena's Midway Spectacular
  • New Orleans Burning Man Community: Sunken City Sideshow
  • Nordic: Mutant Tivoli
  • Orange County, CA: Cock 'N Candy
  • Philadelphia, PA: The Philly Phreak Show
  • Reno, NV: Carnal Connections: Love is an Illusion
  • Russia: OraculTang
  • Sacramento, CA: Sacramento Sparkade and the Foothills Finest
  • San Diego, CA: Dr. Hyas Balze Boardwalk Soul Exchange
  • San Diego, CA: Wonderlust Arcade
  • Santa Cruz, CA: Gallery of Infinity
  • Saskatchewan with China, Argentina, and North Bay, CA: Sask Playa Odditorium
  • South Florida: The Love Tester
  • Stan Secrest, Dani Adomitis, and Collective; Adirondacks, NY and Nationwide: Dr. Thelonious D. Rum and his Medicinal Thumpthump Healing Excursion
  • Taiwan and China: FoxCarn
  • TyEckley, GerryValdez, and Houston Core, TX: The Mask Factory
  • Wisconsin: Pinball Machine

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: 2015 Honorarium Art Grants & Midway Participants

Postby tamarakay » Sat May 16, 2015 11:48 am

The art is already blowing my mind. Dye with Dignity is hoping to get space for a morning or afternoon dye at the man event. Last year's Dye in the Souk was amazing.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

the_grayhound
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity, Barbie Death Village

Musings on the 2015 Art Installations

Postby the_grayhound » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:31 pm

Wanted to start a thread to discuss the 2015 Art Installations. Specifically focusing on what installations people are most looking forward to, what some of the installations mean to them on first glance, any references to external knowledge that is spurred on by an installation, or otherwise. Let's keep it focused on the positive, because let's face it, it's just more enjoyable to read that way.

Summary of 2015 Art Installations here:
http://burningman.org/event/brc/2015-art-installations/

the_grayhound

Re: Musings on the 2015 Art Installations

Postby the_grayhound » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:39 pm

Kicking things off, the 'Becoming Human' installation seems interesting. Mainly, due to the fact that I just finished reading 'You Are Here' by Thich Nhat Hanh, which was given to me by a close personal friend and focuses on mindfulness. 'Becoming Human' seems to touch on the topic of being mindful in focusing on the present moment, and taking time to smell the flowers. However, with an interesting twist in that it raises the question of whether it is uniquely human to be mindful, or if this is present in some form within nature, or further, within technology?

As references, here is some info on Thich Nhat Hanh, and I would also recommend borrowing 'You Are Here' from your local library. Good, quick read.

http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Here-Disc ... 1590308387
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%ADc ... E1%BA%A1nh

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:46 pm

i'll get back to you...

so many wonderful installations coming and i really havent read all this yet... :oops:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:20 pm

There's one major caveat when you're looking at the drawings & statements on the art, but haven't seen the actual piece yet: you have no idea what the actual piece will really be like. The best example is a piece from 2006 that in the guide was called "Uchronia" and sounded like some blithering hippie nonsense. Hell, it didn't even make the Piss Clear 2006 "art to see" guide, because that part was written pre-playa. On the playa it quickly picked up the nickname "the Belgian Waffle" (it was build by a group from Belgium), and was one of the most popular art pieces out there that year*

Read the guide, but keep a really open mind. You never know what innocuous piece is going to be amazing, and what piece that the guide makes sound amazing is actually going to suck.

the Belgian Waffle:

*and then the same group did a Lexus commercial with a similar piece and pissed off everyone
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:41 pm

I'm merging this with the existing thread about the 2015 art installations.

Eric brings up a good point - very early concept sketches and drawings or pre-production art can look vastly different than the finished pieces.

I love looking through the list earlier on in the season, or when I'm exhausted and wondering if it's worth all the effort to do whatever it is I'm exhausted trying to do. Other than that, I'm too busy working on stuff. I also love reading the updates on camps and projects that people post on the boards. I know how long it can take to dream up and make some of my own stuff, it's encouraging and just as inspiring as reading about big art to read about what fellow ePlayans are getting up to.

the_grayhound

Postby the_grayhound » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:26 am

Another installation I'm very excited about is the 'Bone Tree'.

I've heard about this installation from other Burners in years past and I almost see this as a historic totem. Can't wait to experience this iconic piece and see what I can contribute to its recurring aura.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011

Postby tamarakay » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:33 am

trilobyte wrote:I'm merging this with the existing thread about the 2015 art installations.

Eric brings up a good point - very early concept sketches and drawings or pre-production art can look vastly different than the finished pieces.

I love looking through the list earlier on in the season, or when I'm exhausted and wondering if it's worth all the effort to do whatever it is I'm exhausted trying to do. Other than that, I'm too busy working on stuff. I also love reading the updates on camps and projects that people post on the boards. I know how long it can take to dream up and make some of my own stuff, it's encouraging and just as inspiring as reading about big art to read about what fellow ePlayans are getting up to.

THIS!!!!! THIS!!!
Reading through the art guides I sometimes get intimidated that my little attempts at art are silly. The grandness of these visions and the scale to which people can execute them both amazes and stymies me. However, seeing what my friends and acquaintances are doing and how gloriously wonderful their pieces and contributions are, lifts me back into my creative mind.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

the_grayhound

Postby the_grayhound » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:03 pm

Simply reading through the planned synopsis of Michael Christian's 'Brainchild' is really turning the wheels in my mind. My son was just born on the 25th of June, and was 6 weeks premature. Due to his early arrival, his brain hadn't yet made some critical neurological connections, specifically concerning the abilities to feed and swallow on his own. We have been living in the hospital with him over these past few weeks and have been able to see first hand as these connections are formed, and he is now able to suckle and breathe at the same time. It is truly mind-blowing to observe the creation of these neural connections and to have some hand in their creation.

Just rambling here. I'd love to hear other folks' thoughts on some of the planned art installations as well.

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Postby bigbluedoggy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:13 pm

And then again... some of the more interesting installations aren't listed anywhere...
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - proud member of the 3:00 Portal for 2017!

the_grayhound

Postby the_grayhound » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:46 pm

I believe you. Can't wait to participate.

the_grayhound

Postby the_grayhound » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:56 pm

The 'Arbour' installation looks like it could be pretty amazing as well, for someone who has a strong appreciation for architecture. I especially appreciate the comparison between the architecture and how it can shape things like a person's religious/spiritual experience, and oftentimes can inspire these experiences themselves.

http://www.josh-haywood.com/design/#/the-arbour/

Return to “2015 Camps, Art & Activities”