Chuppah on the Playa

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
Janet Planet
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Sugar and Salt

Chuppah on the Playa

Post by Janet Planet » Fri May 29, 2015 9:00 pm

I'm bringing an art project in 2015 (7th burn, virgin art project): a chuppah made from heirloom linens, wedding dresses and lace from my great grandmother, grandmother and mom.

It's not just for playa weddings, it's for any sacred or profane ceremony, or just to get out of the sun for a spell. A shelter in the desert.

The Artery tells me it will get placed in inner playa, 9:00 side. If you need a chuppah, ask the Artery and they can direct you there.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Chuppah on the Playa

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri May 29, 2015 9:04 pm

Sounds awesome... I worry that you're using heirloom stuff that can and might get trashed... I mean, are you good with that?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Janet Planet

Post by Janet Planet » Fri May 29, 2015 9:43 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Sounds awesome... I worry that you're using heirloom stuff that can and might get trashed... I mean, are you good with that?
I'm good with that. I have little doubt that it will get pretty beat, if not trashed.
I can hoard all this beauty in a closet for years and never see it, or I can offer it to the playa and let thousands of people enjoy it for a week.
It's an easy choice.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat May 30, 2015 12:47 am

Janet Planet wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote:Sounds awesome... I worry that you're using heirloom stuff that can and might get trashed... I mean, are you good with that?
I'm good with that. I have little doubt that it will get pretty beat, if not trashed.
I can hoard all this beauty in a closet for years and never see it, or I can offer it to the playa and let thousands of people enjoy it for a week.
It's an easy choice.
I think that's a really beautiful idea. Sometimes the most beautiful heirlooms are barely used at all, and that's a shame.

In the last few years I have begun using linens and silver everyday that in the past I would have reserved for Thanksgiving and Christmas. If I don't use it, there's no guarantee anyone else will, and I would rather it see the light of day and be enjoyed. The only thing I'm careful with is jewelry!
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat May 30, 2015 8:16 am

I'll be sure to admire it then!
I'm one of the guilty ones. I get really cool stickers, and rather than putting them on something I put them in a drawer. We have a formal dining room that only does the Christmas/Thanksgiving duty. I have a cool car that never sees the light of day. Although - that's what led to my fascination with Mutant Vehicles and Burning Man; here was a place where things get dusty and dirty, and enjoyed!

Sounds like you're doing the right thing.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Janet Planet

Post by Janet Planet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:51 pm

For some reason it didn't make it into the Artery's map. But it was there in real life, at 8:45 just out from Pink Heart.
I took it down on Friday night since it was getting so ripped up I was afraid it would blow away completely. I'm in the process of repairing it for local events.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:39 pm

Absolutely beautiful! I wish I'd seen it in real life.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Return to “2015 Camps, Art & Activities”