DJ services offered

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
GingerEnglishGent
Burning Since: 2015

DJ services offered

Post by GingerEnglishGent » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:37 pm

I am a first time burner from the UK and I absolutely love what this event stands for. Have been racking my brains how I can contribute - not being handy with a hammer of particularly gifted in the artistic sense, I realised my DJ past might be of use to some camps/vehicles. I DJ'd a lot from 2004-2013, it kind of tailed off towards the end because stuff got in the way. But would love to resurrect my deck skills for someone on the playa. I played small clubs, support roles, boat parties and a few mini festivals in London - nothing that i could quite the day job over, but I am experienced playing on large rigs in front of big crowds.

I have an eclectic taste and used to play a genre called Breaks (don't know if you guys have it in the US, but it's a hell load of fun), also can play EDM and Bass. But really happy to put together a mix for whatever music genre you want. IF you're interested then ping me the type of music you're after, I will pull together a quick sample mix so you can verify my ability.

Happy days Burners

xx

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: DJ services offered

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:28 am

I'm giving this a nudge over to camps, art, and activities, since that's a better fit for performers seeking stages type threads.

You may care to look around for camps that are posting about building stages, or look at past year's events for lists of camps (since it's still early enough in the season that some camps haven't started posting yet) and look for camps that you can reach out to directly. A lot of the bigger sound systems will probably already have worked out most of their lineups by now (and slots usually go to people who are part of the camp or spend time throughout the year working and contributing to help cover the costs. Good luck sorting something out.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:52 am

Welcome, and feel free to tell us a bit more about yourself in the Introduction forum.

Do not be surprised if you have a hard time finding somewhere to DJ. There is usually a surplus of very skilled ones out there. But just because you think you have no other skills, don't think you can't contribute.

If you see someone setting up a tent or shade structure, offer a hand. Someone's struggling to carry ice back to camp? Grab a few bags and join them. See someone working on their art? Compliment them and thank them for their contribution.

It's these types of interactions that really make Burning Man special. Not the sound, not the party, not even the art. But the community.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:03 pm

As a first-timer, the biggest gift of contribution you can make is being thoroughly prepared for self sufficient survival in one of the most unfriendly climates on the planet.

If you invest all of your energy into studying the survival guide and understand where you are going, you will be doing a grand contribution to the community.

Once you get that taken care of, and you are on the Playa, living large and proud in your radical self reliant glory, there will be many on-the-spot opportunities to get involved and participate.

This advice comes from a deep collective knowledge of us old-farts that have gone for decades. No matter what you have heard or read about Burning Man, you have absolutely no idea what is about to hit you. It is much better if you just strap in well and prepare for the ride, then let the ideas flow on ways you can chip in and add to the show.

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:07 pm

Token wrote:As a first-timer, the biggest gift of contribution you can make is being thoroughly prepared for self sufficient survival in one of the most unfriendly climates on the planet.

If you invest all of your energy into studying the survival guide and understand where you are going, you will be doing a grand contribution to the community.

Once you get that taken care of, and you are on the Playa, living large and proud in your radical self reliant glory, there will be many on-the-spot opportunities to get involved and participate.

This advice comes from a deep collective knowledge of us old-farts that have gone for decades. No matter what you have heard or read about Burning Man, you have absolutely no idea what is about to hit you. It is much better if you just strap in well and prepare for the ride, then let the ideas flow on ways you can chip in and add to the show.
yea this. best advice you can get your first year
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:43 pm

Token and VultureChow's suggestions are great but if you're looking for something a little extra or more structured you can volunteer in various official type ways.

One great option is selling ice at Arctica. There's also lamp lighters which just requires you to turn up at the appropriate time, no prior organisation needed.

Or your DJ know-how may be useful for a stage management or sound mixing shift at Centre Camp.

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:53 pm

The first year we came I was so intimidated by everything we read about burning man. the participation, the stunning art, the extremely smart people who build and do and create. I didn't think I could do any of that. So I showed up, pitched in with building camp, cooked things for people, served drinks at BDC, tripped over things, sliced my finger open, tripped over more things, fell off several art pieces, fell in love with my husband in a deeper way than I ever thought possible. And I painted boobies at Barbie Death Camp. Changed my life forever. I created art for the first time. I went home to Texas and was on fire. I HAD to create. This lead me to dyeing silk, and that led me to bringing silk and dyes to the playa. My camp gifts the gift of creating art. I would like to think that perhaps this little piece of creation sets someone else on fire to create and explore and expand themselves beyond what they think they are capable of.

Long way of saying don't sell yourself short. Your first year is our gift to you. Come play. Trip over things, wonder, wander, explore. Push yourself to try things that make you nervous. Say YES, and say it a lot.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:06 pm

Skip the slicing your finger part, though.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:07 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Skip the slicing your finger part, though.
shhhhh, it might keep him from spinning anything

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:14 am

^^^ EPIC!!!

Token <3 TK

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:17 am

Gosh, i'm all giggly! :oops: :D

White Bronco
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: WHITE BRONCO

Post by White Bronco » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:17 pm

Hey there,
Clutch here from White Bronco HQ! We LOVE breaks and it would be cool to you come spin a set or two.

I have old but decent Pioneer CDJ playa rig that works great. Let's talk about what days you are going to be out there and when you might want to spin.
Feel free to reply here or contact me via e-mail.

smartfit101@gmail.com

www.whitebronco.life

Looking forward to working with you!

-Clutch
If I say I'm going to do it, I'll do it. :coffee:

White Bronco
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: WHITE BRONCO

Post by White Bronco » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:35 pm

BTW...I am setting up our DJ booth out of the back of our U-haul truck.
It will be decorated, windproof, out of the direct sun, and up high right in front of the dance floor.
If I say I'm going to do it, I'll do it. :coffee:

Return to “2015 Camps, Art & Activities”