Playa Events Calendar = Fail

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
alt12
Burning Since: 2004

Playa Events Calendar = Fail

Post by alt12 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:19 pm

Looks like the server crashed.

LowePro

Re: ePlaya Events Calendar = Fail

Post by LowePro » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:20 pm

Me too, "Down for Maintenance" page.

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Not a surprise considering the stakes of getting there first. Of course various mods will let you know it does not matter anyway. Nobody looks at the WWW Guide. Camps that put on scheduled events know better though. Thus a crash.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

myloststuff

Post by myloststuff » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:41 pm

server still down..... in Burning Man lingo what does 'return shortly' mean in hours/minutes?

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:58 pm

How many people could possibly be wanting to get a listing?!
In dust we trust.

Just_Joe
Camp Name: Fly Ranch Project

Post by Just_Joe » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:06 pm

I'll wait til tomorrow to read about the conspiracy.
It's gong to be too loud for events anyway.

SoundMan
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Burning Silicon

PlayaEvents WWW Submit Form Down

Post by SoundMan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:17 pm

Gee, with playaevents.burningman.com down for over an hour with "Down For Maintenance" while they try to get the WWW submissions form working, it would be better to put up a sign saying "Come Back Tomorrow at Noon: We messed up the WWW submissions process". Now, only the unemployed few of us that can afford to push Reload all day may be able to get our submissions in first, and thus put into the printed WWW. Doesn't seem fair to burners with lives that made time to follow the rules and submit their events on time.

[mod note - I've merged this into the existing thread on the fail. -Eric]

inventory
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: MacGyvers' Union

Post by inventory » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:41 pm

It's back up.

ETA: also, fun fact - events this year started with an event number of 13284. So if your event gets a number of 14784 or less, you're definitely in the printed guide if you chose to be.
(Obviously higher numbers might also make it in due to people not wanting a print listing, non-public events, etc.)

As of this post we are north of 13650. So the answer to who wants to post events is "not nobody".

myloststuff

Post by myloststuff » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:48 pm

im still getting down message
is this the correct linkg
The link to add your event to the 2015 Directory is http://playaevents.burningman.com/

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:49 pm

If you really want to get posted in the amateur's guide, I wouldn't wait a day or two. It's normal for that site to be bombarded with traffic (there are hundreds of people who have been waiting months to post their stuff), hang in there and keep trying until you get through. Even if you don't make it, don't worry. The calendar will still be collecting events and activities, and that data will be available to the various smartphone app developers. They usually then post a big update right before the event that includes the thousands of listings that people have added throughout the summer.

inventory
Camp Name: MacGyvers' Union

Post by inventory » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:53 pm

myloststuff, that's the right URL - but it's up and down spotty. Try again? Also try clearing browser cache.

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:56 pm

zorro sings wrote:Not a surprise considering the stakes of getting there first. Of course various mods will let you know it does not matter anyway. Nobody looks at the WWW Guide. Camps that put on scheduled events know better though. Thus a crash.
You are so full of shit. Various mods are also waiting in line for the server to be repaired to be able to add their events. :roll:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

zorro sings
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:07 pm

I don't think so.I said various mods. Not all. Review from last year if you still think that. viewtopic.php?f=362&t=68956
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

myloststuff

Post by myloststuff » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:33 pm

Thanks inventory: I didn't do the obvious to clear cache but it worked after. I got in and submitted our stuff. Good luck to all.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:49 pm

zorro sings wrote:I don't think so.I said various mods. Not all. Review from last year if you still think that. viewtopic.php?f=362&t=68956
That would be me, for one, and my thoughts haven't changed on it. YMMV
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:25 pm

I managed to get thru and set up my event for Monday the 7th; "Help Lonesomebri Break Camp".
Come on WWW guide, do your magic!!!
Hope to see ya all there!
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:26 pm

I submitted, but I wasn't home to get it done until just now. I rely more on foot traffic than the guide anyway. Just a little cool to be in a book. Even one no one reads.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:47 pm

AntiM wrote:I submitted, but I wasn't home to get it done until just now. I rely more on foot traffic than the guide anyway. Just a little cool to be in a book. Even one no one reads.
I agree.
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Eric wrote:
zorro sings wrote:I don't think so.I said various mods. Not all. Review from last year if you still think that. viewtopic.php?f=362&t=68956
That would be me, for one, and my thoughts haven't changed on it. YMMV
Ya, but you're a crusty old-timer. I like our camp being in the book, and I think it is helpful for newbies. I always enjoy reading it even though, admittedly, I rarely make it to the things I've marked.
JK

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:12 pm

inventory wrote:It's back up.
ETA: also, fun fact - events this year started with an event number of 13284. So if your event gets a number of 14784 or less, you're definitely in the printed guide if you chose to be.
(Obviously higher numbers might also make it in due to people not wanting a print listing, non-public events, etc.)
As of this post we are north of 13650. So the answer to who wants to post events is "not nobody".
From 13284 to 15103 as of right now. 1500 print entries accepted.
- Voltaire, Candide

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:20 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:From 13284 to 15103 as of right now. 1500 print entries accepted.
1500 event entries accepted, so far. Trilo posted somewhere that less than 1,000 entries made it into the print guide last year. That may change this year, but even the PlayaEvents page says "If you submit early, your event may get printed in the What Where When" (emphasis mine). I wish everyone luck, but I don't want people to assume guarantees of getting in the printed guide where there are none.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:44 am

Eric wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:From 13284 to 15103 as of right now. 1500 print entries accepted.
1500 event entries accepted, so far. Trilo posted somewhere that less than 1,000 entries made it into the print guide last year. That may change this year, but even the PlayaEvents page says "If you submit early, your event may get printed in the What Where When" (emphasis mine). I wish everyone luck, but I don't want people to assume guarantees of getting in the printed guide where there are none.
Yeah, pretty much just what I said, but only I said it. I know the drill then, something needs correcting. Got it. Go to it. Thanks.
The Bmorg said there was going to be 1500 print entries accepted this year. But what was said about last year?
No one said anything about there being a guaranteed place in the guide, well, other than the post by others I quoted originally (which wasn't corrected or clarified, odd), and it being brought up again round-about in the quote here above assuring everyone that there is no guarantee where I never claimed there was...

The point of my post being that the odds are severely diminished now of getting an event in the WWW guide at this time. But I am sure that this sentence also needs clarifying.

inventory wrote:
It's back up.
- Voltaire, Candide

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:44 am

I've been posting in the WWW for many years.

I've had 5, and I've had 75, in attendance.

There's much to be said about neighborhood interaction.
(Not like that, you pervs.)

It's all a dusty crap shoot; be prepared for awesome.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

watchyourfeet
Burning Since: 2013

Post by watchyourfeet » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:46 am

inventory wrote:It's back up.

How do you know what number your event has? i don't see it anywhere, although I have been known to overlook painfully obvious pieces of information.

doktarspazz
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace

Post by doktarspazz » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:09 am

^ I assume people are talking about the number at the end of the URL for each event, though IDK if this actually corresponds to order of approval

butternut
Burning Since: 2015

Post by butternut » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:57 pm

Perhaps a bit off topic, and maybe a naive burgin question. But I was looking at the listings and wondering how I find out where the events are held. It gives the camp name, but not an address. How would I find the camp?

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:01 pm

Once camps are placed, the powersthatbe fill in the addresses.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:10 pm

Our camp generally submits something like 5 events, just because we are so awesome we do lots of different things :wink:

Last year we specifically mentioned the foot washing & massage and got a TON of people showing up when prior to this we only got a few in for that. We had to open more stations and there was always a long line. So people do actually look at the WWW, even though when I do I call it, looking for the stuff I'll never get to.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Re: Playa Events Calendar = Fail

Post by trilobyte » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:33 pm

Oh, people do look at it... they're just amateurs. It's a tiny percentage of listings - not the best, just the first to get entered.

Mod note, changing the thread title for clarity since I just realized the OP errantly gave it the name ePlaya events calendar.

Lonesomebri

Re: Playa Events Calendar = Fail

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:25 pm

trilobyte wrote:Oh, people do look at it... they're just amateurs. It's a tiny percentage of listings - not the best, just the first to get entered.
Mod note, changing the thread title for clarity since I just realized the OP errantly gave it the name ePlaya events calendar.
Yes, the pros out on K and L street, along with First Camp don't list anything in the guide, and they always have the best parties. Please, tell us more how the professionals do it.
- Voltaire, Candide

Return to “2015 Camps, Art & Activities”