Loving Burner seeks Quiet Camp with Gluten Free Meals

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Loving Burner seeks Quiet Camp with Gluten Free Meals

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:51 am

Welcome to ePlaya and ?your second burn. I'm sure you are a fine individual.

First year, did you lose your appetite? How much food do you need/ how much is food a shared social experience important to you?

Easy to do any specialized diet as a (radically self reliant) individual.

I have cooked for a large 125+ camp. We did vegan, but no other limitations. It would have been impossible to accommodate "I eat this, but not this, this, this." That's separate pots, stoves, and no BM kitchen has excess of those. Planning group meals that are customized to individual eaters in the wilderness is impossible. It is not a specialized, individual order restaurant in a large first world city with unlimited pots, custom order cooking and unlimited washing.

That said, hope you find what you are looking for, I believe it exists, though very late to join a specialized diet camp.

Raw would be gluten-free. And maybe the intent is to find the gluten-free tribe, which is A-OK. Maybe being individually food sufficient, then visiting every dietary tribe compatible camp would meet your needs and future year planning. And it is a fine question to ask on ePlaya, your person to person social network, in your regional!

Joining a camp with a meal plan which is in any way specialized this late - be very awesome. Hope it works out!

"Burning Man is not a restaurant, its a survival campout, in extreme conditions, in near-wilderness, where you could die"
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:15 pm

gluten free, as relates to celiac, is very real.
it can even extend to soap and skin products.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:46 pm

I have friends who are medical professionals with celiacs. For some it is a serious disease. If you think you are susceptive, guard your individual wellbeing.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:17 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I'm not even sure I know exactly what glutes are, much less free glutes.
If I road kill a couple of glutes, you will have to clean them for me.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:30 am

In the interest of a kinder, gentler ePlaya, I sense an opportunity here. Perhaps all the gluten-free folks could band together and form a gluten-free theme camp. Call it Camp HealthyColon TM or whatever.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:53 am

[jim] wrote:OP, you may want to join the Hushville mailing list at Yahoo Groups.

Hushville will be quiet. It is a large camp with theme camps, sub-villages, and individual campers within. You may find that others in Hushville are doing a gluten-free menu, and you might be able to pool resources with them.

The best way to contact Hushville members is by joining their Yahoo group.
Entirely true and worth a shot. Hushville is very diverse. My theme camp is in Hushville, but we are far from gluten free. I know we have gluten free campers, they don't eat our freshly baked cookies. I bet they'd be willing to join forces with you.

Return to “2015 Camps, Art & Activities”