Mobility and More!

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
The Rat Lady
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Mobility Camp

Mobility and More!

Post by The Rat Lady » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:47 pm

Mobility Camp is thrilled to be back in center Camp at 7:30, where we will be providing Wheelchair accessible Art Tours 4 times a day...possibly more.
We will have possibly 3 vehicles that are accessible for tours and the major burns..stop by and sign up!

Can you imagine yourself doing Burning Man in a wheelchair? on crutches? Stop by and find out what it's like on our new Obstacle Courses!

Is your battery powered C-pap running low? Have you traveled into Center Camp on your mobility scooter and realize you don't have enough power to get back home? Is your oxygen concentrator running low on power? Stop by and recharge! We have a public charging station for medical equipment only.

Wednesday Noon is our Workshop on how to be more Handicapped friendly on the Playa!
Want to volunteer with us? Stop by Monday:)
If you have an accessible or wheelchair friendly activity, please stop by and add it to our Accessible Activities list!

Got friends who always wanted to Burn, but thought you couldn't do Burning Man in a wheelchair? Come on by and talk to us!

and of course, like always we also have our BookCrossing Zone, Temporary Tattoo Station, and Gifting Box open to all.

Can't wait to see you all in the dust!
"Outside of a dog, books are man's best friends. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!"
Groucho Marx

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Mobility and More!

Post by lucky420 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:51 pm

You are now on my list
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:54 pm

You all kick ass...your enthusiam and education is inspiring. I have plenty of friends with no mobility issues or health concerns who still think the dust and heat is too much to handle.

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:56 pm

I was (visiting) at one of our state institutions for the developmentally impaired and they had, for want of a better term, a "wheelchair wrecker." It was a little flatbed trailer like you haul riding mowers with, and they had adapted it to be hitched to a 4 seat golf cart.

When one of the clients custom made mobility devices or power chairs would die, they would dispatch the wheelchair wrecker to the location, load the client into the rear seating area of the golf cart (usually with an attendant), transport the client back to their residential unit, and haul the non-functional mobility device back to their shop for diagnosis and repairs. All the mobility devices were owned by the state, and they were responsible for keeping them running. Many of the devices weighed several hundred pounds, and sometimes took a hand operated boat type winch to get it on the trailer.

They also made custom molded foam support cushions adapted to a specific clients body to prevent pressure sores when they were in their power chair/cart.

It would be fascinating if somebody could build one of these pick-up trailers for your camp to use to render assistance to the stranded.

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:05 pm

Sheik,

I just love those Royal "We" and Royal "Somebody".

Sheik, you are a "somebody", so why do you not build the wheel chair wrecker and donate it to them? :wink:
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Molotov

Post by Molotov » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:21 pm

a. I have the mechanical skills of Jerry Lewis
b. I don't have a way to haul it 2100 miles to the playa
c. I would be glad to contribute what I can to somebody who can make it happen.
Golf carts seem to be fairly common on the playa, so I was thinking of something like this...

The Rat Lady

Post by The Rat Lady » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:38 pm

It's actually having the huge stockpile of parts that would be needed...and having a mechanic who knows about all mobility equipment, both old and new that would be the biggest problem.
Anyone who would like to volunteer those things....talk to me:)

Rat Lady
"Outside of a dog, books are man's best friends. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!"
Groucho Marx

Molotov

Post by Molotov » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:55 pm

You are spot-on Rat Lady. It doesn't do a participant with a broke down device any good to just transport them back to their camp and dump them-with no prospects of repairs. I'm going to make a point to stop by Mobility Camp and visit with you on this.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:14 am

Does Mobility Camp often run into situations where some small special-shaped plastic doohickey has broken and needs to be replaced for the equipment to work properly? Let's say brackets, bearing mounts, pieces of controller, etc?

jasonwentcrazy
Burning Since: 1998

Post by jasonwentcrazy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:45 am

Last year was my first time back in a decade and one of the most amazing changes that I saw was the effort from the folks at Mobility Camp. One of my great friends uses a chair and years ago I remember discussing the possibility of him going some year. And, sadly, it just wasn't possible for him to go ten years ago. Or at least not possible for him to have anything close to an experience that an able-bodied person may be able to have. [You know what I mean.]

Anyway, I was just so moved by seeing the presence of Mobility Camp and the incorporation of accessible ramps around the playa. It was something I immediately reported to my friend when I got home. I'm sure it's something that has and will change a lot of people's lives.

I send you hugs now and will deliver some in person when I see you in August.
[Yelling at bees doesn't make them go away.]

The Rat Lady

Post by The Rat Lady » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:47 am

maladroit wrote:Does Mobility Camp often run into situations where some small special-shaped plastic doohickey has broken and needs to be replaced for the equipment to work properly? Let's say brackets, bearing mounts, pieces of controller, etc?
Most common is a charging issue, either a charger cord /power supply bit the dust or
It often would be connectors that got playa dust in them. (Look on our website mobilitycamp(dot)org for how to prepare your chair)
or a motor burned out because it was overloaded in the dust. if it's an electrical issue...could be anything.
Chairs work better if they can be programmed for the conditions, but that requires a special "programmer" for each type of chair.
Groucho Marx

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:19 am

I was fortunate to help out in a very, very minor way at an earlier mobility camp. Changed my burn. Thanks Rat Lady and all the volunteers and participants!

I would urge any high net worth individuals or interested corporations that love BM to support the mobility camp. Their needs are not large, but their karma and emotional narrative is pure and beautiful.

Early history:
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:05 pm

The Rat Lady wrote:
maladroit wrote:Does Mobility Camp often run into situations where some small special-shaped plastic doohickey has broken and needs to be replaced for the equipment to work properly? Let's say brackets, bearing mounts, pieces of controller, etc?
Most common is a charging issue, either a charger cord /power supply bit the dust or
It often would be connectors that got playa dust in them. (Look on our website mobilitycamp(dot)org for how to prepare your chair)
or a motor burned out because it was overloaded in the dust. if it's an electrical issue...could be anything.
Chairs work better if they can be programmed for the conditions, but that requires a special "programmer" for each type of chair.
The connector prep instructions were great, I read them just to make sure you recommended packing the connectors with dielectric grease :) Do you find that many of the connector failures you see are due to ungreased connectors, or does the playa dust still get inside? I have some electric car tech on the playa every year and haven't had too many problems.

I asked about the random mechanical part failure because I was considering whether a 3D printer capable of creating strong nylon parts would be useful.

The Rat Lady

Post by The Rat Lady » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Since we have no parts really, we only see stuff on an emergency basis at this point. It just depends...If you are going to have one on site, stop by and see me with your location and I'll keep that tucked away for future reference, just in case we do need something:)

Rat Lady
Groucho Marx

Return to “2015 Camps, Art & Activities”