Prego Burner Seeking Shade

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
Sheyanah

Prego Burner Seeking Shade

Post by Sheyanah » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:49 am

Hey all you lovelies! I am a 3rd year burner from Iowa heading out to the playa once again... only difference this time around is that I will be five months pregnant. I am fully aware of the risks associated with this, & am not looking for anyone to belittle or berate me for MY choice to still make this journey. I have my reasons & that is that. What I AM looking for are those wonderful little oasis's that I know are going to be out there for people searching for nice shady spots to relax while at Black Rock City. I want to be as prepared as I can be, and I am part of a wonderful little camp that will be my main sanctuary, but I want to gather a list of other places I can visit while on playa that will be a reprieve from the hot sun if needed. If you & yours are planning a shade-themed or A/C'd camp, I'd love to hear about it :) Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help a gal & her baby boy out!! Can't wait to experience the powerful energy of BRC once again.
"I gotta go google some goggles."

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Prego Burner Seeking Shade

Post by lucky420 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:14 am

Our huge Dye hut at the corner of 7 & G is plenty shady. Stop by for a spell, we'll even have snow cones...and if no one is there you can still pop a squat, we won't mind
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:25 am

Rosies' Bar at M*A*S*H 4207th always has shade, and we've had multiple pregnant burners in our camp. We might even have a Grape Nehi for you.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

Wigwam
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Wanderers

Post by Wigwam » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:29 am

Hey! The Wanderers camp at 3:15 and F has shade and a comfy place to sit. We also offer Toxic Toxic (gin and tonic for any non-pregnant wanderers) and hot dogs every day at 4:00 pm. Come on by!!
The truth is more important than the facts.
I'm not an actor, but I've played one on TV.

Sheyanah

Post by Sheyanah » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:42 am

Thank you so much for the replies! I am keeping a notebook of places I can go seek out, so keep 'em coming! My camp is Shade Whores at 7:15 & I. We offer margarita's at the Joey Glowey bar every day, & lots of shade ourselves. Anyone is welcome to stop by anytime!

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:52 am

I second lucky with the dye with dignity offer. We will even get the swamp cooler going for you if needed.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:18 am

Anti M's Home for Wayward Art welcomes people who need to have a bit of shade. Feel free to walk behind the gallery to seek out a little shade. If we are there we will offer a beverage and a swamp cooler to point at yourself.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:18 am

Orphan/Endorphin will be at 7:00 and A and should have a few shady spots in the bar or other structures.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:20 am

Mudskipper Cafe serves Fruit Smoothies every afternoon. That's a nice cool treat.

We also do have some air-conditioned PRIVATE Yurts that could be made available in case of EMERGENCY only.

http://www.mudskippercafe.com/events
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:42 am

Sometimes awesome happens even on e-playa.

Sheyanah

Post by Sheyanah » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:47 am

I'd have to agree with you Token :) Can't wait for the burn to get here... it is going to be an amazing year :)

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:35 pm

Walking 50 feet in any direction there will be shade.

It's hard for me to imagine someone who wouldn't let you come in and relax a bit. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Madgirl
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Madgirl » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:59 pm

Synapse Conduit at 8:15 and D will have shady space and I believe we are working on a misting system as well...feel free to stop by and rest your weary feet anytime!
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:16 pm

The 'Burbs (a no-frills camp for ESD peeps) will be around 3:15 between E and F. We should have a shade structure on the E side, with a park bench and some chairs to rest your bones. No air conditioning or fans. Tell 'em The Sheik invited you. We don't have any porto-potties in our camp (closest ones will be on 3:00 radial)-which may be your more pressing (excuse the pun) concern.

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:31 pm

Retrofrolic at 7 & Carny has a 3000 sq ft shaded dungeon with chill space to do aftercare or watch the sexy stuff going on. Should have a few fans in there.

Plus we are usually close to a Porto bank :)
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:52 pm

The Flamingo Trap will have two shady domes at 4:15 & D. One will be a little more comfy with couches and pillows and one will be more crafty with art supplies you can use to decorate a flamingo for our flock or a paper fan you can take with you on your adventures.

The
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Post by The » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:56 pm

I was 7 months pregnant my first burn. Don't worry its an awesome experience. Swing by Orphan Endorphin 7 & A and not only will we have shade but also some ice cream and laughs. :mrgreen:

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:12 am

All developing fetus-types must be well-nourished. Fish Outta Water is placed at 5 and F replete with several thousand bacon tamales (and btw, mucho shade, A/C, water, and oodles of power) to gift.

Dahlink: You look thin. And hot. And hungry. And dehydrated. And your camera needs recharging! You really should stop by! :mrgreen:

On that "mothering" note, we also have freezer space to share if any new moms are pumping and need frozen storage for milk. Drop me a PM and I will add you to the list. Please note this is a barter agreement: ie, if you store milk with us, we get to feed you. Seems fair from where I'm sitting! :mrgreen: Hehehe.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:22 am

Jungle Camp - 5:45 and J. Happy to have you. Look for the palm trees.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

MegsLegs

Post by MegsLegs » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:44 pm

Lost Penguins @ 4:00 and Arcade

We doubled our shade last year, and have couches and seating and lemonade. Live music sometimes and other programming you might stumble upon (Flash Fiction contest, Talk shows etc)

hooray for burnerbabies!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:57 pm

There are tons of friendly camps that would allow a lady to come in out of the heat & set a spell--theme camps and non-theme camps alike. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You could probably get half a dozen yeses per block.

Don't forget ESD stations. You don't have to have a flat out emergency running full-tilt to sit down in the shade until you feel better. :)
. . . there are Emergency Services medical stations on the 3:00 and 9:00 plazas, on the Esplanade at 5:15, and new stations on the plazas at 4:30 and 7:30, and out between the Man and the Temple. All stations are identifiable by a red cross on top of the buildings.
You might also like a UV Umbrella or good parasol to shield you a bit from the sun. I carry a parasol half the time I'm there. I couldn't leave it unattended or ride a bike with it unfurled, due to wind, but it's excellent for local jaunts.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Mansoon

Post by Mansoon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:07 pm

Also, just a suggestion, I usually go a little light on the water I brink in because I'll make up for it with buying ice nearly every day, keeping some on a double-insulated cooler in my tent and a giant cup with a wide mouth for when I go out. You hydrate faster with warmer water, maybe, but cool down a lot quicker with cool liquid inside, espec if you're still in-camp and haven't been to one of the many friendly camps there. Drinking some or a cool-ice towel on your head or neck can be a life-saver if you're feeling a little overheated. Remember, you'll be heating for 2 :D . Hope to see you there!

Sheyanah

Post by Sheyanah » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:04 pm

Wow... I go off-grid for a weekend & I come back to a whole list of camps to visit :) You peeps sure know how to make a gal feel welcomed. Seriously, THANK YOU to everyone who has offered up suggestions... makes me teary-eyed and even more confident in my decision to make a go of this. Super excited for this adventure!!! Much love )'(

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:55 pm

Elderberry wrote:Mudskipper Cafe serves Fruit Smoothies every afternoon. That's a nice cool treat.

http://www.mudskippercafe.com/events
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Delicious smoothies at the Mudskipper Cafe. One of my favorite playa treats.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:04 pm

a little drift...

Make and bring a swamp-cooler. Depending on your on-playa transportation, you can even haul a bucket-cooler around with you for immediate relief from the heat. Tinier more portable versions can be DIY too.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

lunaclaire
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Playapology

Post by lunaclaire » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:35 pm

We have great shade at Playapology at 3:15 in the 9 o'clock plaza. And you'll have fun since we'll be doing apology intake all day for folks who need assistance with an on-playa apology, so lots of good folks to chat with-please do come visit us! xo

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Post by caffeineslinger » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:19 pm

I can't imagine any camp refusing you if you need to sit in their shade. We've saved many a weary traveler with cold water and an electrolyte pop.

Maybe I'll dress the wife up with a pillow under her shirt and send over to the orgy dome for their air-conditioning.

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:41 pm

If you come by Retrofrolic in the afternoon between 2-6 we'll wash & massage your feet too. :mrgreen:
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:32 pm

Just so long as none of those Ragu burners show up, I'm okay.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AlexMN1984

Post by AlexMN1984 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:30 pm

Come hang out with us at Shady Asylum! We will be part of the Black Rock City Science Center village located at 8:15 and E. The main centerpiece of our camp is a large (60x60x60) triangular shade structure with a real grass lawn underneath!

Return to “2015 Camps, Art & Activities”