Arborealis Forest

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
CyanEssence
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Arborealis Forest

Post by CyanEssence » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Hello Everyone,

This year we are hoping to bring our project out to the playa to share with all you beautiful, dusty people.

The forest is a set of three steal, steampunk trees, ranging from 15 -18 feet in height. The trees can be climbed (except the branches), and people can hang out in them and get a view of BRC.

The trees have motion capture cameras in them. A program designed by our tech team translates the movements of people in and around the forest into ambient music. The musical instrument, which produces the ambient sounds was custom designed by our instrument team. Think of this like playing a piano, except the way you and your friends (new and old) play the "keys" is by moving your body. In addition to this, there are LEDs attached to the canopy of the trees, and these are activated by the sounds of the forest.

If we can raise enough funds, we have some more features that we will add, like hammocks in and around the trees, to make relaxing in the forest even more enjoyable. We would also add to the sound system, to make it more aesthetically pleasing, and aurally impressive.

We have confirmed placement as of right now, and are waiting on the precise location from the BORG (we requested around 10:30 and E, so the DMZ modifications may be the reason we are still waiting on a location).

Stay tuned for location details, and updates on some fun activities we are in the process of planning to have in the forest.

http://www.arborealisforest.com/

We hope to see you there,
Cyan and the Arborealis Forest Team

CyanEssence

Re: Arborealis Forest

Post by CyanEssence » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:26 pm

I just noticed that I used the wrong "steel" in the above post. Our trees are made of steel, not steal.

[media]

CyanEssence

Post by CyanEssence » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:27 pm

Hello again Eplayans,

We are looking to recruit some people to help with our project.

As of now, we are a group of 20 some passionate Burners but we still need more helpl! We're looking for Builders, Welders, Craftspeople, Musicians, LED light wizards, and Programmers that specialize in movement tracking and MSP programming. If you don't know how to do any of these things but are still intrigued, contact us anyway! We're always looking to meet more Burners to help make this project a reality.

The project is designed and lead by Noam Turgeman and Martha Sobrepeña out of a workspace in NIMBY (8410 Ameilia St
Oakland, CA 94621). We invite locals and those from far away lands to help us as they see fit.

For more details visit our Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Arborealisforest
Or website : http://www.arborealisforest.com/ , and Get involved!

Get involved! : http://www.arborealisforest.com/getinvolved/
or by contacting Noam and Martha at arborealisforest@gmail.com

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:43 pm

This looks like an incredible project. Good luck! I hope you find all the assistance you need.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

leafx
Burning Since: 2015

Post by leafx » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:23 am

CyanEssence wrote: We are looking to recruit some people to help with our project.

As of now, we are a group of 20 some passionate Burners but we still need more helpl! We're looking for Builders, Welders, Craftspeople, Musicians, LED light wizards, and Programmers that specialize in movement tracking and MSP programming. If you don't know how to do any of these things but are still intrigued, contact us anyway! We're always looking to meet more Burners to help make this project a reality.
i fall into the don't know anything but intrigued class, if you need any playa side help i have two hands and a brain that are willing to be put to work

CyanEssence

Post by CyanEssence » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:20 pm

Hello Everyone,

We had to make some changes to our design because of time and financial constraints, and unfortunately, we are asking people not to climb the Arborealis Forest trees.

There will still be an amazing, interactive component which is the sound and lighting system, and this alone will make it worth taking a trip out to during your burn.

Additionally, we have added Atlas to the forest, which is not featured in the original design or in the images I have shared on here. You will be pleasantly surprised when you go see it.

Arborealis' location is at 12:00, 4,000 feet from the Man, which is out past the temple.

Word is, there is something happening there late Tuesday night....

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:12 am

DON'T CLIMB THE TREES
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

CyanEssence

Post by CyanEssence » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:54 pm

DON'T CLIMB THE TREES!

CyanEssence

Post by CyanEssence » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:21 am

We just loaded the forest onto the truck, and most of the crew is heading up in the morning.

My personal opinion is that the forest will be most impressive at night.

islandkat
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Storytelling Camp

Post by islandkat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:33 pm

Congrats on your project!!! We'll be out to see it, sounds like we should come day and night :D

We too are building a project, a last minute build due to last minute tickets thus no placement yet, and so I applaud all your work, knowing it well. The trees will be fantastic!

See you in the dust!

Return to “2015 Camps, Art & Activities”