Camp recommendation for quiet neurotic

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
apprehensive
Burning Since: 2018

Camp recommendation for quiet neurotic

Post by apprehensive » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:14 am

Hi,

I managed to get tickets for this year's Burning Man, which I'm absolutely thrilled about.

I'm a little bit worried about finding a camp though.

Burning Man seems like such a welcoming, inclusive place, which appeals to me so much, and I'm sure that any camp I go to to would embrace me with open arms. That said, are there any camps which would suit me more than others? I prefer small and simple rather than large and bustling, should that help at all.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Camp recommendation for quiet neurotic

Post by VultureChow » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:22 am

You can camp on your own, you know. In fact, that's what most people do. Most small quiet camps are friends and family and might not "embrace you with open arms." There's a difference between welcoming the stranger and living with the stranger.

What else are you looking for in a camp? How would you be an asset to a camp? What do you bring to the table.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:32 am

Camps have their own personalities much like people (and the people that make up any particular camp). I'd say your chances of finding any camp, at this late stage, that is still taking on new members are pretty slim, which means that your options are pretty limited.

There are some camp that have posted here on eplaya looking for new members, you might try looking over the posts in this section of eplaya and see if you can find one you might enjoy, then do some research. Visit their webpage at the very least.

And should you not find one, there are lots of people that go solo. Should that be the case for you, don't worry too much about it. Just find a place to set up your campsite and reach out to your neighbors. Everyone there is pretty willing to help.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:37 am

I'm actually a quiet neurotic lol. I am part of a very large and very bustling camp/village. I set up a safe zone for myself and retreat as needed. I bring my knitting or sketch books and just hide out a bit and refuel. Most ly camp mates leave me alone when I disappear in there, but the husband forgets lol.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:21 am

Check out Alternative Energy Zone.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:18 am

tamarakay wrote:I'm actually a quiet neurotic lol. I am part of a very large and very bustling camp/village. I set up a safe zone for myself and retreat as needed. I bring my knitting or sketch books and just hide out a bit and refuel. Most ly camp mates leave me alone when I disappear in there, but the husband forgets lol.

And ya'll thought those needles were for knitting? No, theyre for stabbing the intrusive :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

apprehensive

Post by apprehensive » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:37 am

Ninja Skills Knitting Death Camp? That sounds like my kind of place.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:44 am

come by and see us at 7 & G and dye a silk scarf! or come by for a snow cone or margarita or texas wine or a beer or...?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

apprehensive

Post by apprehensive » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:16 am

Hi,

I will endeavour to do so. Thank you. Please note, I a fully aware of how you knitting ninjas operate and I shall be on guard just in case you attempt to kill me upside the face, drop stitch style.

There is a slight chance as I might not make though, as it as it's all seeming quite a lot to get prepared for in a short time scale. It doesn't help that I have the organisational skills of a turnip. I'm generally worrying myself silly.

Madgirl
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Madgirl » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:21 am

apprehensive wrote:It doesn't help that I have the organisational skills of a turnip. I'm generally worrying myself silly.
Having all the organizational skills in the world still wouldn't completely prepare you for your first burn. We all worried ourselves silly the first time. Heck, some of us (most of us?) still do. So long as you have what you need to survive, the rest will fall into place. Try not to go into it with too many expectations and just enjoy the ride. Good luck!
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:34 am

Those knittas have nothing on Camp Hooker. Crochet all the way!
Sic Semper Spectatores

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:47 am

Oh listen to that smack talk from the one stick wonders.

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:50 am

Be a solo bad ass! Seriously, have your own situation in hand. It's just camping with a few extra necessities, read the survival guide. Your neighbors wherever you land, I can safely assume, will be nice to you. It's a big big place, and there's lots of places to set up. My first year, I was clueless as to where to go. I parked on the outer edge of the city in the dark, and figured I'd work out where to set up when the sun rose. Somebody walked over with a hello and a cup of coffee in the morning and it prompted me to consider myself "in situ." I made some very good friends that week, just in the neighborhood.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:53 am

I'm quiet and neurotic and organisation is my favourite part of the burn. My camp is also still recruiting. We're pretty small and apart from our aussie themed BBQ on tuesday our events are pretty low key. If you're interested you should sign up.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:26 pm

Here's what you're going to find out when you arrive - we are very accommodating and accepting. You will have no problem of finding a place to hang. But is it the right place to hang your hat for a week?

Feel secure that you can walk into most camps, introduce yourself and you'll probably be invited to have a seat and a refreshment. Its very normal and personally I love it when someone walks up from nowhere and stops by for a chat. In fact, since my camp doesn't actively recruit this is how we add members. Last year we added three new people this way. Its a wonderful way to meet new friends who could turn into lifelong friends.

And if you decide after chatting that its not for you, say your thanks and move on. Its normal.

That said, once you get thru the gate and if you happen to make a right turn on Laffing Sal, head down to 420. Come by, I promise you a chair and a refreshment! We're a great bunch of people and I'm the neurotic, private one who really, really, really likes to organize.

Actually I'm surprised that there are this many of us....I always thought everyone was extroverted and barefoot/carefree. Its good to know that normal people exist on the playa too.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:42 pm

Actually it may be the one time all year that I really expect and respect the unexpected.

I do love BRC
It is my Internal Government

xoA.

apprehensive

Post by apprehensive » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Am I the only one who would pay GOOD MONEY to see a face off between a knitter and a crocheter? It could be the greatest thing ever, with lashings of spilled viscera and pointy things generally being used in ways their manufacturers daren't have dreamt of. Or it could be a sedate, meditative affair. Which would still be nice, albeit in a different way.

Thank you for all the suggestions above and I welcome more.

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:26 pm

If you attach led lights then I will attend this match !

xoA.

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:43 pm

o.k. I just flashed on the execution scene from Braveheart...and that's not nice.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:49 pm

Nightly I battle the yarn monster and beat him back from overtaking my apartment.
Sic Semper Spectatores

apprehensive

Post by apprehensive » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:55 pm

The Thunderdome is the obvious venue. I think that is something we'd all agree on. Now, how apoplectic do you suppose they'd be were someone to engage in some guerilla knitting effort to make it more appropriate for the battle at hand? I was thinking some sort of multicoloured cosy over it? Like what these people did in this pic.

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:04 pm

There must be a purity within

xoA,

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:00 pm

I think if I started now I could yarn bomb the hell out of them next year lolololololilolol

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:55 pm

Yarn bombing the Thunderdome would be AMAZING! I would actually try learn to knit to help with that.

apprehensive

Post by apprehensive » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:05 am

Probably, it wouldn't be superhard to at least doll it up a little, as the tubing the Thunderdome is constructed of all looks to be of a similar diameter and length. Some long rectangular sections of knitting, a bunch of cable ties and a bit of clambering around would be all it would take.

Man, those goths would shit when they work up to find their factory of combat converted to a multicoloured HuggingDome for the day.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:38 am

Consider the compromise solo vs theme camping solution: Hushville village. You are camping solo, but within a block of other like minded camps. We specialize in mentoring virgins, or at least not letting the, expire in the dust. No yarn ninjas. No generators, no music. No dues, just preregister.

http://www.hushville.com/home/registration_2015.html

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:38 am

Somehow this One does not seem hushed

xoA.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:50 am

aserendipity wrote:Somehow this One does not seem hushed

xoA.
Gah, I hate that misconception about Hushville. We are not "hushed" or hushers. We just hate other people's generators. And music next to our heads. Gah, get off my lawn and put on some pants.

Nice crocheted pants and a knitted vest.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:02 am

our local yarn bombers did an installation for the annual town celebration: thousands of crochet/knit flowers, each on its own tether. They crowdsourced the project, folks from far and wide contributed. The installation was completed during the wee hours, the flowers were simply tied to the structure and hung down over passersby. At the end of the event, folks took flowers to commemorate. Beautiful!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Post by mooserider » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:12 am

gaminwench wrote:our local yarn bombers did an installation for the annual town celebration: thousands of crochet/knit flowers, each on its own tether. They crowdsourced the project, folks from far and wide contributed. The installation was completed during the wee hours, the flowers were simply tied to the structure and hung down over passersby. At the end of the event, folks took flowers to commemorate. Beautiful!
Where's local? I saw something like that during an arts festival weekend in Grand Marais, Minnesota, at the beginning of this month. They had yarn decorations covering the wrought-iron fence along a city park.

Return to “2015 Camps, Art & Activities”