Need an awesome campmate? Here's my theme camp personals ad

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
cleowhispers
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: crumpyfloppet

Need an awesome campmate? Here's my theme camp personals ad

Post by cleowhispers » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Hello ePlaya citizens!!!

My name is Cleo, and I've been burning since 2010. This year it appears that most of my friends (or the ones I'd want to camp with anyway) are doing other things so I am looking for a camp to join. (YES, I have been searching on my own, but figured I'd try this too.)

I am looking for a camp WITHOUT DUES. I have everything I need, and things to contribute, so it's mostly just for camraderie and the sake of being involved. (YES, I know I can go alone and that it's a great option.)

About me: 25/f, positive, easy-going, creative, adventurous, silly, not into heavy drug use (although I probably don't mind if you guys are), I have no generator or sound system, and i am certainly willing to contribute, help build, serve drinks, cook food, host games, instruct yoga, or whatever else!!!

My camp has previously provided a croquet court, and shaded tea area, serving daily tea and snacks (fancy hat dress code).

I'd prefer a camp that is not insanely loud 24/7, so I will be able to sleep during the week, and bonus points if camp includes any of the following: large chill area, food or drink serving, yoga, flow arts, educational talks on visionary topics, psychedelic art, delicious bass/glitch music.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Need an awesome campmate? Here's my theme camp personals

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:53 pm

It's always nice to get all those cool amenities and have the other camp members pay for it and transport it!
Bonus points indeed.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

cleowhispers

Post by cleowhispers » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:33 pm

Ah yes the infamous ePlaya snarkiness as welcome to the boards...

The point was to provide reference to some interests so that a better match can be made. Like when I say bonus points because there will be food/drinks served it's because I want to cook it and serve it. And extra exciting if there's more of a structure & camp intent than just me showing up with the pots and ingredients. (Like a food centered theme camp, or rotating dinner shifts, yum!) Shade structure? Yes I'll be bringing mine too, maybe we can attach them together depending on your setup. Yoga? I'd love to teach. Flow toys? I'll be bringing mine, and fuel too. Same music taste? Great, we won't annoy each other! C'mon... i'm not asking for a full service camp here.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:02 pm

There was someone on here awhile ago thinking of the same type of orphan camp (not orphan/endorphin) I think her name was farm girl or farmgirl. You might try searching her name. Orphan/endorphin has 2 other sub camps their 3rd one may not be full.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

[jim]
Burning Since: 2009

Post by [jim] » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:31 pm

If you're totally self-sufficient and want no dues... consider Hushville (will also meet your requirement for noise levels).

Registration is open until August 20.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:31 am

[jim] wrote:If you're totally self-sufficient and want no dues... consider Hushville (will also meet your requirement for noise levels).

Registration is open until August 20.

But we have none of the following, well, maybe some yoga and a little wayward art:
large chill area, food or drink serving, yoga, flow arts, educational talks on visionary topics, psychedelic art, delicious bass/glitch music.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:54 am

Well no bonus points for you then

hug+kiss
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Post by hug+kiss » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:48 pm

Camp dues pay to get the infrastructure you want there. The large shade, kitchen and chill space doesn't manifest itself on the playa. Think of dues as your gift. When I see the time, energy and money our camp leader puts into our camp, I give more than the asked for dues. Nobody makes a profit running a camp, unless the dues are $15,000 like those pnp camps.

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:16 pm

hug+kiss wrote:Camp dues pay to get the infrastructure you want there. The large shade, kitchen and chill space doesn't manifest itself on the playa. Think of dues as your gift. When I see the time, energy and money our camp leader puts into our camp, I give more than the asked for dues. Nobody makes a profit running a camp, unless the dues are $15,000 like those pnp camps.
Thank you for saying this. If someone is not willing to support their camp with some financial help or offer some other major form of contribution, they should consider camping on their own as a better option. Labor alone just doesn't cut it most of the time. This shit costs money.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:00 pm

Thank all of you. She almost made me feel unnecessarily snarky!

hug+kiss
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Post by hug+kiss » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:17 am

Well Bigbluedoggy I was talking about you personally. You amaze me with your hard work and dedication to our camp. I can't thank you enough for welcoming me into your playa family.

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:32 am

I must confess, I did not realize who hug+kiss was when I added my two cents. It is always nice to feel appreciated. I get great satisfaction from our camp and seeing it all come together and it is always nice to hear that others appreciate the effort it takes, both personally and financially. I do it all for the fun and release and some folks just don't appreciate what it takes to make it all happen. Dusty hugs for all!! And soon!!
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

alt12
Burning Since: 2004

Post by alt12 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:41 am

Is there a best of ePlaya? Because I would nominate this for it? "I have everything I need but wants lot of stuff. Also I don't want to pay for anything."

I don't think pointing out the multiple levels of inherent contradictions in these statements should be considered snark.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:49 am

Cleowhispers, My suggestions to you are to drive on out and meet some people. It sounds like you have everything to be self contained. You can move in next to a camp that welcomes your help and company or set up alone and welcome others to join you and use your shade. You can wander the city and join a new group everyday simply by lending a hand. Most of all, have the best burn yet.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:59 am

Am I the only one thinking that the friends Cleo doesn't want to camp with are all going:
*whew!* Dodged a bullet there.

Yes, that is snark.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:20 am

lucky420 wrote:There was someone on here awhile ago thinking of the same type of orphan camp (not orphan/endorphin) I think her name was farm girl or farmgirl. You might try searching her name. Orphan/endorphin has 2 other sub camps their 3rd one may not be full.
I think we're all full at this point. Also, we had to start charging minimal dues in the Annex because it would fill up with people using it as a backup while they went camp shopping.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:25 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:
lucky420 wrote:There was someone on here awhile ago thinking of the same type of orphan camp (not orphan/endorphin) I think her name was farm girl or farmgirl. You might try searching her name. Orphan/endorphin has 2 other sub camps their 3rd one may not be full.
I think we're all full at this point. Also, we had to start charging minimal dues in the Annex because it would fill up with people using it as a backup while they went camp shopping.
How Rude! But good to know. I love the Orphans, was my first theme camp :D
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:21 am

Case in point, in case I seem like just a snark: I'm in a theme camp. I bring EVERYTHING I need, I need none of the camp infrastructure whatsoever. If they didn't exist around me I'd be 100% fine.
I actually add to the camp, bringing generators and an art car that costs me as much as the whole camp budget. None of which is covered by the camp.
I pay my share of the dues to be in my camp, because they have cool infrastructure that makes it fun to be there and they do some cool things. That stuff all costs someone money.
I'm in the camp because they are my friends that I want to camp with.
This is all on a regular working man's budget. Not a trust fund silver spooner.

So, pardon my sarcasm when I read about someone claiming to be an awesome campmate who doesn't really want to help make shit happen, they just want to roll in for free on someone else's setup.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:48 am

This +1000 ^^^
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:21 pm

Cleo, at this point in things (24 days from man Burn) the only camps that are going to be interested in new members are most likely looking to pad their budget with dues.

Read This Thread and This Thread for some tips and tricks.

Good luck.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

cleowhispers

Post by cleowhispers » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:16 am

Whoa, look at all these replies.
The reason why I cannot pay camp dues is that I cannot afford it. I can afford to bring all my own stuff for my self sufficiency and the stuff from previous theme camp that I've purchased and brought to playa, because it costs zero extra dollars this year. I welcome my friends both new and old to enjoy anything I supply without requiring them to pay me to transport it. I'm glad that you guys can all afford to pay dues, and I fully understand the reasoning for dues in the bigger picture of providing a theme camp. Not all of us can contribute their participation financially every year. I'm happy for you guys in that it seems you've never had to worry about such things and found yourself in my situation. And thank goodness you've never tried to match interests and potential camp mates as a stranger on the internet starting from scratch. I am rather quite happy now that I've avoided the eplaya for years previously. Luckily I am no stranger to this, having been a founder of my own theme camp, and also having been invited several times to join others' small theme camps which have their own plan and no dues fees or expectations outside of friendship and participation in camp building & activities. So go ahead and make whatever assumptions you'd like if it makes you feel better ;)

If any other orphans would like to co-create an organic camp with me, let me know. (Organic meaning that we each see what we have to offer in terms of structure/interests/events and add a little organization and intent and viola!)

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:26 am

Hi, Cleo.

May I suggest a different approach?

Something like:

Hi, I'm Cleo.
I'd like to make a camp with other prepared, solo burners.

I'll be arriving Sunday, noon(ish), GateGods willing, and will stake out a spot at 5 & J.
I'll be building a 10x20 shade structure, and have a minimal (2 burner) camp kitchen.
I'll be offering yoga in the mornings to our neighborhood.
I have LOTS of stuffed animals to decorate the space.
I'm looking for other solo burners to share/contribute/add to OUR communal experience.

I'm low key and creative; and I hope to make a space where we (all) can feel free to contribute something to the BRC community.

Whatcha got??
BRING IT!!!

(or whatever fits your criteria).

See the difference??? :D

Good luck!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

cleowhispers

Post by cleowhispers » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:30 am

Yeah I was actually thinking (while offline, which is most of my time), that I should start a new thread with pretty much that same idea, but still have some choices to consider before commit to such

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:50 am

Crafting an online classified ad is tough.
(Especially in snark-infested waters!)

I hope it works out for you; and I think that Camp CrumpyFloppet is a THING!!!

Come to the Eplaya MeetnGreet, so we can all say hi! and witness/revel in your success.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Return to “2015 Camps, Art & Activities”