BRC Center Camp Post Office

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: BRC Center Camp Post Office

Postby Elderberry » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:34 am

FIGJAM wrote:Anybody get mail delivered by the BLM??? :roll:

https://reason.com/blog/2015/09/15/drug-dogs-sniffing-the-us-mail-at-burnin

I found this to be a rather disconcerting article.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:38 pm

Well, my other two packages made it back here today. I will have to remail to AntiM and Tamarakay. Soonish. I'm out less than $13 postage.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:36 am

From my BRC PO volunteer friend: 200 packages and 500 letters returned to the Gerlach USPS as undeliverable. That is very tough on the (sole?) employee of the postal service in Gerlach. The issue is bad vague addressing by the senders. Finding an individual within the camp, even on multiple visits can also be a PITA. The whole dog thing is just another insult to injury.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

spirited
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: 2015 Roller Disco. 8:29 Esplanade.

Postby spirited » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:34 pm

darkfred62 wrote:Howdy fellow Burners,

This year I got to part of a theme camp. It was the BRC center camp Post office.
I found out why there really was no core group for this long established camp. I found out why there were directed sales tickets available for people to be in this camp.
The reasons were not positive.

I would like to see the BRC center camp Post office be successful and provide a good service to the community out on the playa.

The past burning man at center camp post office was not much fun. There was only a group of about 6 people who actually worked the theme camp. The Theme camp leader was seldom there. She was actually staying at another theme camp. We should of had about 20 people working in the theme camp to get the mail out and also have fun. Where all the other directed sales tickets went for this theme camp I'm unsure.

For the post office theme camp to be successful it needs to have
1. People who work it every year. Some could be new to the camp, but the core needs to be reoccurring. The core should be a minimum of 8 people.
2. A minimum of 20 people who actually work in this camp. No redirecting of directed sales tickets to your friends who could not get tickets in the main sale.
3.Good solid leadership. We did not have that. anytime someone tried to fill the void from the missing camp leader, the camp leader would show up for a moment and knock down what was being established.
4. USPS postal annex's need secure and organized storage of packages and mail. The camp did not have that. I discussed this in general with a USPS management employee who was attending burning man. An education was provided in this matter by the USPS employee.
5. Hours where the post office is open that better serves BRC. To my knowledge the BRC postal annex is supposed to open for two weeks encompassing the event. The post office was only open 5 days (mon-fri) 12-4. The small group that was working in the camp tried to be open more hours to help people out. We got very burned out by the end of the event.
6. Absolutely good solid organization. A post office is basically a receiving and shipping center. If you don't know where some packages are, well, that is a big failure. This occurred often due to the errant packages being at the camp that camp leader was staying at.

I met a few ex- center camp post office folks on the playa this year. They all told the same tale of woe. I did not here one positive comment about how the camp has been run except for the hard work put out by the staff (leadership not included).
I'm basically thinking the BRC center camp post office needs a change of leadership or it will simply die. I would rather see the BRC center camp post office flourish and become a service that is well respected.

You need to BACK OFF.
I know this camp and it's leaders thy have been busting ass for years.
The problem is it's not fun any more running a service camp.
And why you ask.
When you have volunteers not doing there part like not showing up or using you to get directed sales tickets and not helping year after year it puts more work lode on the core volunteers.
Your breakdown help is heading home or moving to the other side of the city to hide before the first chair is even folded up.
Others are on line claiming to be part of a camp but have no ticket and want someone to gift them one.
The BORG want's control on how the pots office is run.
The US Postal service has it's reg's and flaming hops that get hotter and smaller each year.
You have the undercover folks diggig in looking for contraband and chocotacos mixing things up.
Then you get the mass of retards ordering things on line from black rock.
The place looked like a UPS shipping hub on December 24th with all these boxes flooding the post office.
You have folks demanding things and service like in the defalt world.
Now you have a under staffed camp with ten times the work lode, what fun that must be.

Some one needs to step up and give the post office leads a year or two off so thy can rekindle there sols and have a deserved burn to have some fun.

I got it you need to take over the post office and let it be your burn from hell before the next man burns.

Ya baby let it f--k your burn then you can tell us all how much fun it is.

Crazy Wayne
02 Temple. 03 Cooked Tuna. 04 two art cars. 05 Camp Sunscreen. 06-8 Hot Wheelz. 09-12 BRC Department of Mobility. 13-15 Gifted mobility. 2015 Medusa Madness, R-Evolution, Totem Confessions, Reformation Portal, Own Way, Airport Play Ground, Temple.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Postby Lonesomebri » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:09 pm

spirited wrote:...The BORG want's control on how the pots office is run.

This typo sure isn't going to help with getting the drug dogs off our backs...
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Bexx
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby Bexx » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:49 pm

I wanna thank the peeps at the center camp PO! I actually got a package on Tuesday from my Dad!! A nice PO dude came by my camp and hollered for me - then handed me a pink slip so I could go pick it up!! WOOHOO! When my friend and I got there, I was told mine was the first package that they'd received!! So there was much to celebrate :D

Got back to camp and opened my milk crate sized box - it was filled with candy, pretzels, fruit snacks and to go cups of NUTELLA!! It was like Christmas and Halloween all together!! YAAAAY!

Bonus was actually having my Dad send a package that was addressed to a camp that said BIG BLUE BALLS SIGN / PINK COCK.
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!

vargaso
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby vargaso » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:18 pm

Sham wrote:I spoke to the postal lady, and it turned out that with better cell access, people were ordering packages from Amazon by the hundreds--just so they could get delivery on the playa. Then there was a guy in Reno who sent out thousands of letters into BRC to every corner and address as some sort of ticket protest.

What started as a fun camp and a cool service, turned into an abused and over used camp. I've seen the huge stacks of letters and postcards that had to be cancelled so they could be sent off to the US Post Office.

Jesus. I'd rather see no post office then have it turn into UPS delivery on the playa for assholes ordering shit online so they don't have to schlep it.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:26 pm

It's just another tragedy of the commons...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Postby mooserider » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:38 am

It sounds like overwork on the poor volunteers. Though the folks at BRC3PO (3 o'clock plaza) seemed to be having more fun than those at the central post office. I just never mailed anything because I couldn't find my stamps in the chaos back in camp, and those were nice postcards they had to mail back (especially the dust storm one).

darkfred62

Postby darkfred62 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:52 pm

spirited wrote:

This year I got to part of a theme camp. It was the BRC center camp Post office.
I found out why there really was no core group for this long established camp. I found out why there were directed sales tickets available for people to be in this camp.

I would like to see the BRC center camp Post office be successful and provide a good service to the community out on the playa.

The past burning man at center camp post office was not much fun. There was only a group of about 6 people who actually worked the theme camp. The Theme camp leader was seldom there. She was actually staying at another theme camp. We should of had about 20 people working in the theme camp to get the mail out and also have fun. Where all the other directed sales tickets went for this theme camp I'm unsure.

1. People who work it every year. Some could be new to the camp, but the core needs to be reoccurring. The core should be a minimum of 8 people.
2. A minimum of 20 people who actually work in this camp. No redirecting of directed sales tickets to your friends who could not get tickets in the main sale.
3.Good solid leadership. We did not have that. anytime someone tried to fill the void from the missing camp leader, the camp leader would show up for a moment and knock down what was being established.
4. USPS postal annex's need secure and organized storage of packages and mail. The camp did not have that. I discussed this in general with a USPS management employee who was attending burning man. An education was provided in this matter by the USPS employee.
5. Hours where the post office is open that better serves BRC. To my knowledge the BRC postal annex is supposed to open for two weeks encompassing the event. The post office was only open 5 days (mon-fri) 12-4. The small group that was working in the camp tried to be open more hours to help people out. We got very burned out by the end of the event.
6. Absolutely good solid organization. A post office is basically a receiving and shipping center. If you don't know where some packages are, well, that is a big failure. This occurred often due to the errant packages being at the camp that camp leader was staying at.

I met a few ex- center camp post office folks on the playa this year. They all told the same tale of woe. I did not here one positive comment about how the camp has been run except for the hard work put out by the staff (leadership not included).
I'm basically thinking the BRC center camp post office needs a change of leadership or it will simply die. I would rather see the BRC center camp post office flourish and become a service that is well respected.

You need to BACK OFF.
And why you ask.
When you have volunteers not doing there part like not showing up or using you to get directed sales tickets and not helping year after year it puts more work lode on the core volunteers.
Your breakdown help is heading home or moving to the other side of the city to hide before the first chair is even folded up.
Others are on line claiming to be part of a camp but have no ticket and want someone to gift them one.
The US Postal service has it's reg's and flaming hops that get hotter and smaller each year.
You have the undercover folks diggig in looking for contraband and chocotacos mixing things up.
The place looked like a UPS shipping hub on December 24th with all these boxes flooding the post office.
Now you have a under staffed camp with ten times the work lode, what fun that must be.

Some one needs to step up and give the post office leads a year or two off so thy can rekindle there sols and have a deserved burn to have some fun.

I got it you need to take over the post office and let it be your burn from hell before the next man burns.

Crazy Wayne

Have ever worked at BRCPO with the people you have known for a long time?

I will put it this way in this old quote " A person's true colors will show when you give them power over you".

If you want to defend them then go work in their camp next year.

I in no way said I wanted to take over the camp. I just outlined to the community what needs to happen to keep the camp alive and improve the camp. The core group who worked the camp (about 6 of us) were willing to run the camp for the leaders in question. We were given no autonomy. There was a constant redirection of resources. I could go on and on. It was very apparent the theme camp leaders wanted to remain in charge but did not want the spend the time needed working in the post office.

Me back off? What are you going to do Internet thug me ? Bwahahahaahah. I live in the real world.

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:30 pm

spirited wrote:

You need to BACK OFF.
And why you ask.

Crazy Wayne

Almost every "excuse" on your list is actually the fault of the camp leaders. It doesn't matter who they are or what camp they run, but they obviously don't know how to select and manage and delegate.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

spirited

Postby spirited » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:40 pm

darkfred62 wrote:
spirited wrote:

You need to BACK OFF.
And why you ask.

Crazy Wayne

Have ever worked at BRCPO with the people you have known for a long time?

I will put it this way in this old quote " A person's true colors will show when you give them power over you".

If you want to defend them then go work in their camp next year.

I in no way said I wanted to take over the camp. I just outlined to the community what needs to happen to keep the camp alive and improve the camp. The core group who worked the camp (about 6 of us) were willing to run the camp for the leaders in question. We were given no autonomy. There was a constant redirection of resources. I could go on and on. It was very apparent the theme camp leaders wanted to remain in charge but did not want the spend the time needed working in the post office.

Me back off? What are you going to do Internet thug me ? Bwahahahaahah. I live in the real world.

No but you sound like you can run Blackrock City camps better than the rest of us from your armchair, That's so cool to bad it dose not work that way in the dust.

I was in a service camp just two or three camps over from them seven yeas running, I was running it for five of those years.
And yes i helped them some and sent them folks to help many times, My son worked for them one year.
I had a camp of 25 to 50 to manege in camp plus all that came to us for help with mobility.
We had gulf carts running all over Blackrock gifting mobility rides to and from and helping the post office deliver mall.
I even tried to get placement to put are camps side by side so my mobility impaired campers cud do what thy can and have fun doing it.
So please don't tell me or the post office how to run a service camp till you have run one for two or three years.

We know what needs to be done but things just don't happen as planed on Playa.
So you can go crazy and try to do it all till you drop, or step back and give it some space after all the post office is just a gift to the city.
But some think it's a entitlement and demand better service and complain from armchairs how it can be done better.
Then others see that help is needed and jump in and do what thy can to make it better.

P.S.
I did not help the post office this year but i busting ass 12 to 18hr's a day getting bit by bug's working in white out's whatever helping with art and camps 22 days of my 27 days on the playa.

I can send you a stamp so you can send your complaint to someone, So that you feel you did your part to make the post office better if you like?

Have a nice day,
Crazy Wayne
02 Temple. 03 Cooked Tuna. 04 two art cars. 05 Camp Sunscreen. 06-8 Hot Wheelz. 09-12 BRC Department of Mobility. 13-15 Gifted mobility. 2015 Medusa Madness, R-Evolution, Totem Confessions, Reformation Portal, Own Way, Airport Play Ground, Temple.

darkfred62

Postby darkfred62 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:54 pm

Well this has gotten some dialog started.

Thank you Crazy Wayne for your dedication to burningman. This is true praise too. Working that in the dust, Ugh!

I was only there from 8/27 to 9/7. I did not have to deal with bugs.

spirited

Postby spirited » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:06 pm

darkfred62 wrote:Well this has gotten some dialog started.

Thank you Crazy Wayne for your dedication to burningman. This is true praise too. Working that in the dust, Ugh!

Thank you.
I was running the red crane Rudy Hill gifted to the Arty to help get big art and whatever up and ready doing what ever had to be done.
I was working in the Center Camp keyhole on Keven Clark's Medusa Madness when you hit the dust.
Keven's crane died on the freeway and never made it to the playa.
It was my best burn ever filed with loving hugs and pride of accomplishment.

The Playa has it's pit falls and mind games and over time you ether learn how to work with what you got and move on or have a melt down and learn the hard way.
It was very interesting this year not being in charge of anything this year.
And watching others and leaders deal with the mind-game lessens of the playa, it was quite entertaining watching things unfold.
Some just needed a walkabout and some mentoring to learn and grow.
Others fight it till all you can do is give them a kick in the ass to push them into there melt down.
Tears on the play are very healing and bring big change and growth to ones spirit and mind.

Hope to see you in the dust busting ass making us all proud of you next year.

If you find me in the dust i have a cold beer for you.

Crazy Wayne

spirited

Postby spirited » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:15 pm

spirited wrote:
darkfred62 wrote:Well this has gotten some dialog started.

Thank you.
I was running the red crane Rudy Hill gifted to the Arty to help get big art and whatever up and ready doing what ever had to be done.
I was working in the Center Camp keyhole on Keven Clark's Medusa Madness when you hit the dust.
Keven's crane died on the freeway and never made it to the playa.
It was my best burn ever filed with loving hugs and pride of accomplishment.

The Playa has it's pit falls and mind games and over time you ether learn how to work with what you got and move on or have a melt down and learn the hard way.
It was very interesting this year not being in charge of anything this year.
And watching others and leaders deal with the mind-game lessens of the playa, it was quite entertaining watching things unfold.
Some just needed a walkabout and some mentoring to learn and grow.
Others fight it till all you can do is give them a kick in the ass to push them into there melt down.
Tears on the play are very healing and bring big change and growth to ones spirit and mind.

Sadie some never get it and just spread bad energy everywhere thy go in life.

Hope to see you in the dust busting ass making us all proud of you next year.

If you find me in the dust i have a cold beer for you.

Crazy Wayne

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:47 am

Generally the BORG doesn't like to do anything it is not forced to do. Personally I think they should take over the PO, find new management, put the PO volunteers on the commissary plan and place them all in one camp. Then I would put a hold for a year or more on accepting any UPS parcel service or Amazon until the PO and the Gerlach PO can operate well together, including presorting outgoing.

Shipping packaging to the playa is a bad idea. It is going to exponentially increase with no way to handle it.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Sham

Postby Sham » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:23 am

The BRC Post Office was started by a private camp to drop letters off to the US Post Office in Gerlach. All they really did was collected letters and post cards and drop them in the mail box. A few inbound package sounded like a fun idea, but like everything else, it's getting taken advantage of and people are just ordering shit online so they can have the noveltyof getting it delivered to them on the playa. This is crap they don't really even need.

The real solution is to have any urgent packages delivered and held in Gerlach, then the addressee can make their way to Gerlach to get it. This will stop the nonsense of having Amazon sending useless trinkets and having a BRC Post Office volunteer chasing someone down to deliver a box with a stuffed animal in it. BRC Post Office can be outgoing mail only. If the receiver has to get off their ass and actually do the work to get it, the volume of packages will drop to near zero.

A nice side effect of this would be the BLM keeping their K-9 animals (and officers) out of the post office packages. That was one major clusterfuck and a waste of resources on their part.

That's why we can't have nice things!

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 pm

I'd say that no packages, but keep intra-playa mail.
The Lady with a Lamprey

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby tamarakay » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Breaks my heart. I was looking forward to a couple packages, I knew how neat it would be to have someone think of me. But, I agree it would be best to forego on site delivery and just be able to send.

The legal ramifications on everyone to have the dogs out just pisses me off.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:02 am

Well OP thanks for this thread, which explains why none of the postcards I "mailed" in BRC arrived at their destinations this year. I am sad that the card we all signed at the Meet & Greet never went out to our friend International Incident. :cry:

I wonder what happened to the gift sheets of domestic & international stamps I handed in with my cards?

On the plus side, I can remove postal expenses from my Burn budget without regret, and spend that $$ somewhere else.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Return to “2015 Camps, Art & Activities”