Rideshare from BRC to Reno on Wednesday 9/2. How?

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can tell people here.
koren
Burning Since: 2015

Rideshare from BRC to Reno on Wednesday 9/2. How?

Post by koren » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:20 pm

Hi, everyone.

I'm picking up 2 RV's and bringing one to BRC on Sunday and another one on Wednesday (don't ask me why!!!!).
So my question is what is the ways to get to Reno from BRC if I need to leave on Wednesday morning?

This is what I found so far:

1. Plane - best option but too expensive.
2. BRC - Empire -----Gerlach/Empire shuttle to Empire,
Empire - Reno ------ ?????????
no cars for rent, no buses, no trains.

There is a rideshare board also (https://rideshare.burningman.org/event/ ... 015/create) but it allows you only to look for the ride to BRC, or both ways. There is no one-way option BRC-Reno.

Burner express first available ride to Reno is on Friday...
Another question: are those burner express buses coming back to Reno after they drop off passengers on Tuesday or Wednesday? If yes, is there a way to get a ride in one of them since they all are supposedly empty?

Any other suggestions you might have?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Going to Reno on Wednesday. How?

Post by Ratty » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:55 pm

I would hitch hike. Don't scoff. I would. I pick up people on exodus every chance I get. Lots of folks make a run to reno all through the event. Although the ride on the burner bus sounds great if you can swing it. You need to pay a $20 fee for leaving and returning through gate.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:57 pm

Big cardboard sign:

RENO

Have gas $$

Dress for civilization.

Bring your ticket

Get to gate

Pay the $20

Hold sign so outgoing traffic can see it

Smile

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:08 am

Don't forget to bring plenty of water when you do what Token suggests (you're still on the playa), but it's really the best way. Burner Express doesn't start doing outbound until Friday, and there's no other bus option that will get you to Reno. It's either fly (super expensive, but pretty much guaranteed) or hitchhike (super cheap, could take a time commitment waiting for a ride).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:02 am

There's that guy who fly to reno everyday offering help getting stuff. He has thread on here.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:42 am

As an aside, why?
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:36 pm

Cause 1 RV is never enough!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

koren

Post by koren » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:33 am

thank you for your replies.

Does anybody knows what happens with the Burning Man Express buses that bringing the people to the event? Are they going back to Reno?
Perhaps I can catch one of those on their way back.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:39 pm

But hitch-hike I assume they don't mean that you take the shopping shuttle into Gerlach/Empire and hitch-hike from there.
There's almost always someone leaving BRC, using going back through Reno. So hitch, with sign, from within BRC on the road leaving.

As mentioned above, do NOT forget to take your ticket, ID, etc. and get the ~$20 return pass!!!
Canoe wrote:...
In past years, advice has included your need for a ride at Playa Info.
Running out of time, head to the radio station on-playa and ask if they'll give a shout-out on it. I've even heard one about a woman "... with trailer needs tow to Reno...".
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Post by MacGlenver » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:07 am

My very good friend actually has to leave the playa on Wednesday also (ugh!), attempting to get back to SF to fly out for a wedding. I wonder if getting the two of you together could somehow open other options? One rents a car in Reno, drive to BRC, you drive to Reno together on Wednesday, drop the car, you get your RV and he takes a bus back to SF?
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Rideshare from BRC to Reno on Wednesday 9/2. How?

Post by trilobyte » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:14 pm

I've edited the subject line to be a little more clear. The rideshare board may not be the best fit, but perhaps you can find other ePlayans who aren't able to stay for the entire event, and perhaps travel with them?

You may also want to go to the BRC airport's site, check out the list of approved companies offering flights into BRC, and just reaching out to them. If one of them has one or more flights a day bringing passengers into the city, that means they probably have a plane that has to go back anyways that has an empty seat. Perhaps they'll take kindly to your plight, and either offer you a deeply discounted one-way, or even help you out if you help offset the fuel costs.

Good luck!

koren

Post by koren » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:38 am

Thank you everyone for your replies.
graidawg: There's that guy who fly to reno everyday offering help getting stuff. He has thread on here.
Do you know his name or thread location?
MacGlenver wrote:My very good friend actually has to leave the playa on Wednesday also (ugh!), attempting to get back to SF to fly out for a wedding. I wonder if getting the two of you together could somehow open other options? One rents a car in Reno, drive to BRC, you drive to Reno together on Wednesday, drop the car, you get your RV and he takes a bus back to SF?
I think I have to change my departure date to Reno to Tuesday now, since the rest of my friends are flying in on Wednesday and there is no guarantee I can be there on time if I'll leave BRC the same day.

mkstowegnv
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Contradance Community Camp

Post by mkstowegnv » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:05 pm

If you still want to get a ride on Wednesday, I need to pick up my late arriving girlfriend at the Reno Airport 8PM and we might be able to work out a time that works for both of us. If you only settle on a plan at the last minute, find me Spiderman aka Fearless Leader at the Contradance Community Camp at 7:15 Rod''s Rd (go to 6 and D and proceed clockwise toward 9 on Rod's Rd (look for the big tent on the inside side).
Mark Stowe
for my work with tandem recumbent trikes and the severely
handicapped see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALVFQkKEFQ4

koren

Post by koren » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:20 am

Thank you for your kind offer!

I think, i will be leaving playa on Tuesday morning to get to Reno before 4 PM.

Return to “2015 Share Resources”