Two DMV Volunteers/hotties RV needs Juice...

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can tell people here.
Walkingant
Burning Since: 2011

Two DMV Volunteers/hotties RV needs Juice...

Postby Walkingant » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Hi,

Two DMV hotties seeking a power source to plug our RV into. Our on-board generator is on the Fritz and
can't get it fixed quickly. Certainly will gift some diesel, gas or cash.

Also will bring some booze, beer or food and bbq a night or two. Will help out in "camp", but we both
have multiple DMV shifts.

Thanks for reading...its getting close!! :D

*note* if I violated any protocols, it was unintentional...really.. :roll:

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Two DMV Volunteers/hotties RV needs Juice...

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:29 am

What exactly is the generator doing? Surging up and down? Running but not making electricity? Not running? Running poorly?
Maybe I can have a look at it when we are there.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Walkingant

Postby Walkingant » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:05 am

Greetings,
The RV ONAN 6500 watt Emerald III will not start.

It had issues, such as only running with the start button held down. It was not reading voltage I guess.
Would not start from the drivers dash--would only run with the drivers dash controls unplugged from the genset.

I did take it to a shop in Reno, last early august and they fixed it. They replaced a couple parts, did
a service on it and said it was running great. I don't recall the parts replaced, but it wasn't the stater.(?).

Only thing I did before re-installing it was take the covers off and clean the mouse house/droppings etc,
as the shop would not do that, well they would but they charged a lot for the cleaning. I was careful and
don't think any wiring was affected.

After re-stall the generator would not start. Acted like a low battery, hard cranking. I charged the batteries,
they were bought new in 2013. Still acted the same. I did buy a new set of cables, but have not been able to
install them, as the RV is in Susanville, CA in storage and we are in northern Idaho.

Before I took the genset out , it would only run with the start button depressed and if i jumped the generator
with my pick-up. May just be bad cables, the ends are clean...but didn't want to rely on that being the problem,
and ending up with no power on the playa. Or maybe a bad battery?...

I know this is vague and I certainly am no expert on gensets. Any insight would be appreciated. :D

I do have a construction grade generator, but do not want to bring that to the playa, its very loud.

thanks

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013

Postby Popeye » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:49 pm

The first thing I would do is confirm a good battery and good connections. Disconnect the battery and pull it out, wire brush the inside of the cable connections. If there is a bunch of white stuff under the insulation replace the cables. Load test the battery- a load test is quicker, easier and more accurate than a hydrometer. Most places that sell batterys will have a load tester and will use it for free.
Make sure the generator is charging the battery- this is separate from the 120/240V output.

Before I took the genset out , it would only run with the start button depressed and if i jumped the generator
with my pick-up. May just be bad cables, the ends are clean...but didn't want to rely on that being the problem,
and ending up with no power on the playa. Or maybe a bad battery?...

Sounds a lot like dirty cables and or a bad charging circuit. Could be as simple as a loose fan belt.
An oil pressure "safety" switch might do this.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Postby caffeineslinger » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:17 pm

Ulisse wrote:An oil pressure "safety" switch might do this.

And make sure it has oil. Sometimes it's the simple things. It's happened to me.

Walkingant

Postby Walkingant » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:55 pm

thanks for the help on the generator....

I have not made it to the RV in California yet, but the oil and filter were changed by the shop. I did check it, and it was full n clean.
I will check everything else when we arrive at the RV. I am leaning towards bad wire connections--the positive n negative cables...It
shouldn't be too difficult, as the generator ran great in the shop... :roll:

We are still looking for power and/or camp. We would contribute for sure! Just trying to make sure we have power,
if I can not figure out the RV genset.

Again, thank you for the replies!! See you all on ze playa really soon, we will be there friday. :D

thanks

Walkingant

Postby Walkingant » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:57 pm

Well, got to the RV...the gen set clicks really strong like it will almost turn over...but won't. Cleaned all the connections I could locate.

Will be on the playa about noon tomorrow, Friday.

If anyone has any ideas on the problem, please let me know!

I did try jumping it with my truck, same result, very strong clicking, but no turning over!

As I pointed out, in the shop it ran great!

I left my very noisy generator at home,
Don't want to stop and buy another noise machine,
Our playa neighbors would bevdispleased!

If you have ideas on a fix or a camp with extra juice for one more RV...

Thank you!

Walkingant

Postby Walkingant » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:10 am

hi,

Been enjoying the burn and doing our DMV shifts..great bunch of folks!

We are camped at 7:02 & H, the porta potties are just across the street.

White RV with Idaho Plates, front end facing the street.

If anyone has clues on Onan Generator problem, do stop by! BS and have a beer. :D

Thanks,

Walkingant

Return to “2015 Share Resources”