Have craft cocktails, need ride :)

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can tell people here.
jcdavison
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:08 pm
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Tea Time!

Have craft cocktails, need ride :)

Postby jcdavison » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:33 am

Image

My chrome is shining just like an icicle, I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle. - ‘Professor Booty’, The Beastie Boys, 1992


Can you help me get my `low-rider-bicycle` drawn craft cocktail bar to the playa?

tl;dr

Me, virgin burner, my story, tl;dr, long time listener first time caller, when to my first out-door electronic music gathering circa 1998 in Northern Arizona, have since seen 70+ countries and all kinds of crazy stuff.

I've had mixed feelings about Burning Man and I decided to put all that to rest.

I bought presale ticket last week without any plan and I decided I want to bring a low-rider bicyle drawn craft cocktail bar to the playa. I need help getting me and my gear from San Francisco to BRC. I have flexible dates but I can't leave SF until at noon on September 1. I 'think' I have a camp that will host me but I'm otherwise open to anything.

I've been told by people that I'm not totally uninteresting to be around and I'll support work on whatever to help get me to BRC. I've also been told that I should offer my coding skills as barter, I'm both a seasoned developer and a seasoned developer instructor so if you want to learn about web programming I'm all hands.

the full background story on me
http://www.startuplandia.io/life/lowrider-craft-cocktails/

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40303
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Have craft cocktails, need ride :)

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:04 am

I don't know what you mean by "craft cocktails", but be sure you look up the health department regulations for serving to participants.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 7830
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Have craft cocktails, need ride :)

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:12 pm

A stingray with a bent springer and a set of 144s! LOVE IT!!
I have a Dyno stretch myself.
Just a word about that bitchin' bike and the playa: it's NOT exactly ideal, and I'm saying that coming from the perspective of a person who chooses long low bikes that aren't 100% practical at home.
The playa surface can be hard-packed dirt, or deep soft silt that you will never get that bike with its short cranks through. Pulling a trailer? Forget it.
I am leaving my bitchin' Dyno at home and bringing a Mongoose fat-tire bike. It hangs in my garage and I never ride it anywhere else, because it's just not cool... it's a goddamm mtn. bike, not a Cruiser... If anyone "gets it" about cool bikes that sacrifice function for style it's me... but if I were going to pull a cart on the playa, I'd grab an old mtn. bike or cheap beach cruiser.
Love the bike though.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

User avatar
spacetime
Posts: 416
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:12 am
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Have craft cocktails, need ride :)

Postby spacetime » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:30 pm

That bike does look a little bit too purdy for the playa.

jcdavison
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:08 pm
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Tea Time!

Re: Have craft cocktails, need ride :)

Postby jcdavison » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:52 pm

hmm, all good feedback, i'd been told that serving alcohol is not an issue as long as I'm diligent and Id people, I can appreciate that the low-rider might not work out and had thought about that, for sure getting a beach cruiser seems a better idea and I'll think about this feedback seriously.

jcdavison
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:08 pm
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Tea Time!

Re: Have craft cocktails, need ride :)

Postby jcdavison » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:28 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I don't know what you mean by "craft cocktails", but be sure you look up the health department regulations for serving to participants.


I've looked around and most of the docs are related to serving groups of 125 or more food and I don't think I qualify for that, I'm gonna server very small, low key drinks and seems like checking ids and not serving underage people is the only prereq, thanks for the tip.

jcdavison
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:08 pm
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Tea Time!

Re: Have craft cocktails, need ride :)

Postby jcdavison » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:29 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:A stingray with a bent springer and a set of 144s! LOVE IT!!
I have a Dyno stretch myself.
Just a word about that bitchin' bike and the playa: it's NOT exactly ideal, and I'm saying that coming from the perspective of a person who chooses long low bikes that aren't 100% practical at home.
The playa surface can be hard-packed dirt, or deep soft silt that you will never get that bike with its short cranks through. Pulling a trailer? Forget it.
I am leaving my bitchin' Dyno at home and bringing a Mongoose fat-tire bike. It hangs in my garage and I never ride it anywhere else, because it's just not cool... it's a goddamm mtn. bike, not a Cruiser... If anyone "gets it" about cool bikes that sacrifice function for style it's me... but if I were going to pull a cart on the playa, I'd grab an old mtn. bike or cheap beach cruiser.
Love the bike though.


I kind of thought this might be the case, i can remember riding a beach cruiser in belize once in very deep sand and it performed really well and I was like, finally I get to see a beach cruiser perform in its optimized habitat :)

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40303
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Have craft cocktails, need ride :)

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:56 pm

jcdavison wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I don't know what you mean by "craft cocktails", but be sure you look up the health department regulations for serving to participants.


I've looked around and most of the docs are related to serving groups of 125 or more food and I don't think I qualify for that, I'm gonna server very small, low key drinks and seems like checking ids and not serving underage people is the only prereq, thanks for the tip.

If your project involves serving cocktails:
with ice,
with mixers,
with garnish,
to the public,
or
to more than 124 camp members,
... you want to read the health department regulations.

And you might want to ask if people are legal to be served drinks in the state of Nevada...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 7830
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Have craft cocktails, need ride :)

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:50 pm

I won't preach a word about whether your bike is too impractical or pretty to take out there, other than to say if we have soft silty playa this year, it simply won't work.
The ideal playa bike seems to be the Mongoose Beast or Dolomite fat-tire bikes, with the giant 4' wide tires, but any old beach cruiser should be fine.
If you have time, put a small front chainwheel on, if it hasn't got gears.
Your Stingray with it's low clearance and short cranks will really suck unless there is smooth hard playa. Sometimes, there is. Sometimes, there ain't.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

jcdavison
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:08 pm
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Tea Time!

Re: Have craft cocktails, need ride :)

Postby jcdavison » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:57 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I won't preach a word about whether your bike is too impractical or pretty to take out there, other than to say if we have soft silty playa this year, it simply won't work.
The ideal playa bike seems to be the Mongoose Beast or Dolomite fat-tire bikes, with the giant 4' wide tires, but any old beach cruiser should be fine.
If you have time, put a small front chainwheel on, if it hasn't got gears.
Your Stingray with it's low clearance and short cranks will really suck unless there is smooth hard playa. Sometimes, there is. Sometimes, there ain't.



All appreciate :)


Return to “2015 Share Resources”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest