Seeking 2015 Georeferenced Aerial Photo

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can tell people here.
DiscoBall
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Minstrel CrAMP

Seeking 2015 Georeferenced Aerial Photo

Postby DiscoBall » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:39 pm

Hi Friends. I work in a field called geographic information systems (GIS). That means I have specialized software that lets me do a lot of cool things with maps and satellite imagery. I am seeking a good aerial image of the BRC in 2015. Unfortunately, all of the Landsat satellite images from the week of the burn are useless (too much dust in the air when the image was captured to see the layout of the city). Back in 2012, someone on eplaya was kind enough to share with me an excellent high resolution georeferenced Ikonos image of BRC. That is the type of thing I am looking for from 2015 (or any other year too). If anyone here knows what I am talking about and has access to these types of images, let me know. Or even if it is not georeferenced, I can do it manually if any of the mountains or highways surrounding the playa are included in the image. Thanks!

P.S. The project I am currently working on is comparing the BRC site footprint for the last 8 years. And in the past did a project where I mapped the census results. If you have a particular project you are interested in doing, but don't have the GIS resources, let me know. I may be able to help.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Seeking 2015 Georeferenced Aerial Photo

Postby BBadger » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:23 pm

I don't know if there were any decent satellite photos made this year. I think that, at least last year, the satellite imagery companies like GeoEye didn't bother like previous years.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Postby burner von braun » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:51 pm

Here is a link to a previous thread that might provide a lead. I don't know if it will help, I haven't pursued it yet. Good luck, and please post your project when it's finished, I think a lot of us would be interested in seeing it.

https://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=74500

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:40 am

It would be a useful project to count the RV's, cars, box trucks, containers, domes, hexayurts for each year. The final moop map gives a semi readable camp map which could be overlaid with the placed vs non-placed camp map.

Skybox has multi wavelength sensors. One of those may have cut through dust. Contact them directly with a well thought out proposal. You could also contact BMORG for the CAD files. It would be trivial to drop the camp name layer.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Postby mooserider » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:40 am

Uh, did any of the pilots or skydivers working out of the BRC airport get any suitable pictures? Seeing the city background in many of the pictures of skydivers would seem to imply it's possible to use an airplane to get a picture of the whole city, rather than depending on satellite photos. Since the major landmarks of the city are easily visible (the Man, the outer boundaries of the city streets, etc.) and their positions are well known and reported by the DPW survey team, it should be easy to georeference a photo someone took pointing nearly straight down from a plane or skydiver over the city.

Return to “2015 Share Resources”