Meanings of the 2015 street names

Carnival Of Mirrors asks three essential questions: within our media-saturated world, where products and people, consumption and communion morph into an endlessly diverting spectacle, who is the trickster, who is being tricked, and how might we discover who we really are?
zeigen
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DeBocceRi / Planned Playahood

Meanings of the 2015 street names

Postby zeigen » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:09 pm

The map was published today: http://burningman.org/event/black-rock- ... -city-map/

Here are things I could find related to the meanings of each of the street names:

Esplanade: an open, level space serving for public walks or drives.

Arcade: an arched or covered passageway, usually with shops on each side.

Ballyhoo: a clamorous and vigorous attempt to win customers or advance any cause; blatant advertising or publicity.

Carny: a person employed by a carnival.

Donniker: (often spelled "donnicker") a toilet or cesspool. (Source: http://answers.google.com/answers/threa ... 83852.html)

Ersatz: an artificial substance or article used to replace something natural or genuine; a substitute.

Freak Show: a display of people or animals with unusual or grotesque physical features.

Geek: a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.

Hanky Pank: a carnival game where every player wins a prize every time, but the value of the prize is less than the cost to play the game. (Source: http://www.goodmagic.com/carny/car_d-i.htm)

Illusion: something that deceives by producing a false or misleading impression of reality.

Jolly: in horse race betting, the favorite. Also: drunk. (Source: The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English by Eric Partridge, Taylor & Francis, 2006.)

Kook: an eccentric, strange or crazy person; a weirdo.

Laffing Sal: one of several automated characters that were built primarily to attract carnival and amusement park patrons to funhouses and dark rides throughout the United States. Its movements were accompanied by a raucous laugh that sometimes frightened small children and annoyed adults. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffing_Sal)

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Re: Meanings of the 2015 street names

Postby Jovankat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:23 pm

Ballyhoo is also the term for swinging a followspot around in a figure eight, something that often happens at the beginning of a performance or in the lead up to a "volunteer" being selected from the audience. It's kind of the lighting equivalent to a drumroll.

Source: I spend three months a year working 8 shows a week doing exactly this for a circusy cabaret show, it's how I pay for my burn actually.

zeigen

Postby zeigen » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:58 pm

Awesome.

I think a lot of these may have "hidden" carny meanings -- I searched for a while for the ones like "kook" and "illusion" that seemed a bit too ordinary.

Illusion seems to have a specific use in carnival terms related to certain types of acts like flea circuses and headless men. At http://www.goodmagic.com/carny/car_d-i.htm they refer to mechanical illusions, optical illusions, etc.

Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Illusion is often used in place of "magic trick" and to refer to the elements of stage craft that trick or confound the audience. I did a subject at college called Illusions and we learnt about things like wall of light puppet work, shadow play, false perspective and the larger stage scenery version of sleight of hand.

Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:22 pm

Oh and esplanade is pretty commonly used as the street name for a frontage street, like the street that runs along a beach, I thought that was pretty common knowledge?

And here's some more info on donniker

zeigen

Postby zeigen » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:51 pm

Jovankat wrote:Oh and esplanade is pretty commonly used as the street name for a frontage street, like the street that runs along a beach, I thought that was pretty common knowledge?
Yeah, you're right, it's pretty common knowledge but I figured if I was including the definition for other common words like arcade and kook, I may as well include esplanade.

And here's some more info on donniker
That's fascinating. I'm not sure I buy the "donner und blizten" theory, but it's more credible than the "down knickers" explanation offered elsewhere. Encarta suggests an association with "dung" but I think that's dubious too.

Return to “2015 Theme”