"Directed Group Sale" and theme camp applicants

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
halo_in_jeopardy
Burning Since: 2013

"Directed Group Sale" and theme camp applicants

Post by halo_in_jeopardy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:21 pm

Question about the "Directed Group Sale" ...

(1) Directed Group Sale is 10,000 tickets available in *February* to "directed groups" like theme camps ... to make sure that essential people get tickets - it's a limited number of tickets to these folks
(2) However, as a first-time applicant to be a theme camp, our application might not be approved until *April* ...

So ... as a first-time theme camp applicant, would we miss out on the "Directed Group Sale" in February?

Is there any way that as a first-time applicant we would be able to qualify for the "Directed Group Sale" in February?

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: "Directed Group Sale" and theme camp applicants

Post by lucky420 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:27 pm

Don't think so but you can register and buy presale early tickets...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:40 pm

First - ticket information for 2015 has not yet been announced, that includes any numbers or details regarding the directed group sale (or the presale).

Second - no, you would not be eligible to participate. The directed group sale is open to members of some registered projects/placed camps that have already demonstrated that their group makes a significant (and responsible) contribution to the playa.

Stay tuned for the 2015 ticketing announcements, and make your plans to get tickets in the individual sale. Then plan to complete the placement questionnaire when that opens (dates have not yet been announced, but that typically opens at end of February/early March and is open until sometime in the last week of April). Meanwhile, keep on plotting, planning, and prepping for your burn - late August seems so far away, but before you know it you'll be in the mad dash to get things done in time to leave for the desert. Good luck!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:45 pm

halo_in_jeopardy wrote:Question about the "Directed Group Sale" ...
[snip]
So ... as a first-time theme camp applicant, would we miss out on the "Directed Group Sale" in February?
Yes. The Directed Group Sale is just that - a directed sale by the BMorg. It's basically "invitation only" to theme camps who have proven themselves in the past, and it's not guaranteed tickets even for those invited (it's still "first come, first served" until the tickets sell out). One thing to note however - if your theme camp kicks ass it's first year, you may get an invite for year 2. I know there were at least a few second year camps that were invited last year. The idea behind the program is basically to guarantee some continuity, and so that camps with known interaction levels can prepare for the year knowing they have at least their core members tickets covered.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Eric wrote:
Yes. The Directed Group Sale is just that - a directed sale by the BMorg. It's basically "invitation only" to theme camps who have proven themselves in the past, and it's not guaranteed tickets even for those invited (it's still "first come, first served" until the tickets sell out). One thing to note however - if your theme camp kicks ass it's first year, you may get an invite for year 2. I know there were at least a few second year camps that were invited last year. The idea behind the program is basically to guarantee some continuity, and so that camps with known interaction levels can prepare for the year knowing they have at least their core members tickets covered.
I led a second-year camp that got invited for 2014 and it filled me full of warm fuzzies. And then most of my core campmates decided to take the year off, so we cancelled the camp for the year. Bummer.

Any idea if they'd consider us for DSG this year if we reconstituted, even though we took the year off last year?

halo_in_jeopardy

Post by halo_in_jeopardy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Okey-doke! Prove ourselves in our first year, and *maybe* qualify for the "Directed Group Sales" for the following year (or whatever is the equivalent!).

Thanks to all very, very helpful ...

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:42 pm

Don't stress out about tickets too much. Treat it like the zombie apocalypse...you have lucky camp members and unlucky camp members. Don't be too squeamish to shoot the stragglers who can't find tickets. Everyone should be prepared to step into several different roles to fill gaps in your team.

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:26 pm

Or you could work as a team and have everyone in the camp on the lookout for tickets for those that missed out in their various networks :P

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:33 am

DrYes, my understanding is that when inviting camps and projects, they look back to camps and projects in good standing from the previous year only. On one hand it'd be nice if you could take every other year off and still be considered for inclusion, as it is now they are not able to include everyone who is participating every year.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:57 am

trilobyte wrote:... they look back to camps and projects in good standing from the previous year only.....
That's been my experience.

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:27 pm

trilobyte wrote:DrYes, my understanding is that when inviting camps and projects, they look back to camps and projects in good standing from the previous year only. On one hand it'd be nice if you could take every other year off and still be considered for inclusion, as it is now they are not able to include everyone who is participating every year.
Yeah, is what I figured. Fair enough - they have enough to deal with as it is.

Captain Who
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Mudskippers

Post by Captain Who » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:54 pm

trilobyte wrote:DrYes, my understanding is that when inviting camps and projects, they look back to camps and projects in good standing from the previous year only. On one hand it'd be nice if you could take every other year off and still be considered for inclusion, as it is now they are not able to include everyone who is participating every year.
So does someone reach out to us or do we request the group sale tickets when we submit our application? We somehow missed the group sale option this year so I'm hoping to remedy that for this coming year. Besos!! :D

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:08 pm

I believe they ask you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Roundabout
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:18 pm

The contact person for our camp is no longer with our camp. Our concern is that a directed sale invite will go to his email and effectively into a black hole. We sent a message to the ticket group about who our new contact person is, but it has not been responded to. Does anyone know how to effectively get the contact info for your theme camp updated before the directed sale?
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

motskyroonmatick
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:51 pm

Placement is probably the people to work with on that. placement@burningman.com Send and inquiry like..

Hi I'm so and so and I'd like to know what to do in the case of (outline situation here) Thanks so much!
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Peritwinkle
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A - Peritwinkle's venue

Post by Peritwinkle » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:02 am

Does anyone know when camp leaders will be notified for an invitation to the Directed Group Sale?

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:01 pm

They usually give you a week to ten days to get your core members lined up and ready before the sale begins. My guess would be to look for it the last week of January.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:52 pm

An email was sent out by placement a few hours ago that started out like this;
Thanks to everyone writing in for information about the Directed Group Sales. Rather than reply to you individually, here is the latest information!

The camps that are not eligible for tickets this year were informed yesterday. In this case, no news is good news.

If you wrote in with updated contact information, we have entered it and if your camp is changing its name or your Village is breaking up, we made note of it. If you are returning after a hiatus and are a camp in good standing, we have made a note.

You will be hearing from the Ticketing Department soon with information about the Directed Group Sale. If you have not heard anything by January 22, let us know.
It then continued with all the practical info. I hope everyone who was hoping to be invited got that email. :)

shykat

Post by shykat » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:35 pm

Anybody get the invite email yet?
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix

torrey.smith
Camp Name: Sextant

Post by torrey.smith » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:46 pm

shykat wrote:Anybody get the invite email yet?
Negative! Have faith! Aaaaagh!
Sarge

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Nothing as of this writing....
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:40 am

Just found out that something screwed up and Retrofrolic is not getting DS tickets this year. Got no idea why or why not or what happened. Our founder has been down with the flu, but I'm usually copied on all the placement emails.

Oh crappity crap crap, I just love trying to buy tix in the depths of tax season. Before DS, the sales were earlier. And I had the $$ to buy early tix. Now even if I had the $$, the presale is closed. Maybe this should be on the FUCK thread.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

torrey.smith
Camp Name: Sextant

Post by torrey.smith » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:10 pm

pink wrote:Just found out that something screwed up and Retrofrolic is not getting DS tickets this year. Got no idea why or why not or what happened. Our founder has been down with the flu, but I'm usually copied on all the placement emails.

Oh crappity crap crap, I just love trying to buy tix in the depths of tax season. Before DS, the sales were earlier. And I had the $$ to buy early tix. Now even if I had the $$, the presale is closed. Maybe this should be on the FUCK thread.
I hope you sort it out. Retrofrolic is awesome!

-Sarge
(Certified Cocksucker)
Sarge

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:52 pm

pink wrote:Just found out that something screwed up and Retrofrolic is not getting DS tickets this year. Got no idea why or why not or what happened. Our founder has been down with the flu, but I'm usually copied on all the placement emails.

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that! But you guys are sow awesome I'm sure the camp will find all the tickets it needs through the cocksucker network if you don' get all you need in the main sale.
Casanova wrote:
You are invited to the 2015 Directed Group Sale!

You may invite up to 8 other members of your group to register themselves for the sale.
How big is your camp?

pink

Post by pink » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:57 pm

We usually have 10-12 invites. 20 EAs. Edited to correct the numbers.

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:59 pm

pink,
have you connected with your placer?
If it were me, I would contact them posthaste and ask some questions.
There is undoubtedly 'wiggle room'; it's quite possible that there has been some (dreadful) oversight.

DGS is based upon past performance, I've known of camps that received invites, but had no intention of coming in the current year (which is, IMO, a flaw in this system);
Placement and EA's don't happen for months yet, and are based upon current application information.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:17 am

Attention Barbie Death Village!!!

We have received 27 fewer DGS links than last year and all of them have been claimed. If you did not personally contact either Felony or me you are not on the list and will need to go through the regulary lottery system. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:52 pm

Our camp received fewer this year as well. I'm wondering if they're trying to spread them to more camps.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:51 pm

Our Village, Black Rock Power COOP received 25 fewer than last year and 2015 is already promising to have a larger population than last year.
It will all work out. It always does.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

pink

Post by pink » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:28 pm

Apparently last year placement had an issue with getting the EA passes to lascivious's att.net email address and asked for an alternate email. So he sent them one, we got our EAPs and all was good. Then after not getting anything regarding DS tix, Tuesday morning he found a message in the secondary email's spam folder. So when he finally sees it & contacts ticket support. They say too bad, it was an absolute deadline. So we are all going to buy two tix if we get through & hope we get enough for all of the key crew.

And this is the end of the sad story of the retrofrolic ticket fuckup.

Return to “2015 Tickets Discussion”