What the heck happened with Will-Call last year?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

What the heck happened with Will-Call last year?

Post by trilobyte » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:20 pm

I'm posting a link to this blog post in here, because I think it's massively relevant.

Did you or a campmate experience significantly longer wait times at will call last year? There were a ton of things that led to things at the box office being SEVERELY backed up in 2014. Nimbus from Burning Man tickets takes some time to explain some of the problems they had last year, as well as discuss some of the things they'll be doing in 2015 to help things run more smoothly. Spoiler alert, you'll be able to have tickets purchased in STEP and the OMG sale shipped to you this year. Read the post, there's good stuff in there.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: What the heck happened with Will-Call last year?

Post by Ratty » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:32 pm

There were a whole lot of great ideas in the comments. And a lot of uninformed people talking nonsense. If ticketing could institute one or two of their suggestions it would make a sizable difference.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:20 am

Meh, it's all part of your Burningman experience I say. Me and 4 or so peeps in line just chatted and enjoyed being on playa. No hurry, no bitching. We were in a group effort to cheer anyone who came by. Occasionally someone from Boxoffice came by to see how we were, apologized and gave us an update. That's all we could ask for. So we parties on.
There could be much worse ways to spend ones time:
Sitting in traffic
Being at work
Standing in line at Disnyfuckmehard
Bleeding
Vomiting

Come on! Even the Porta potty line at BM is fun!
Some people need to STFU and volunteer.
This is a do-orcracy after all.
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

smiffman
Burning Since: 2014

Post by smiffman » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:18 am

robbidobbs wrote:Meh, it's all part of your Burningman experience I say. Me and 4 or so peeps in line just chatted and enjoyed being on playa. No hurry, no bitching. We were in a group effort to cheer anyone who came by. Occasionally someone from Boxoffice came by to see how we were, apologized and gave us an update. That's all we could ask for. So we parties on.
There could be much worse ways to spend ones time:
Sitting in traffic
Being at work
Standing in line at Disnyfuckmehard
Bleeding
Vomiting

Word.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:07 am

robbidobbs wrote:Meh, it's all part of your Burningman experience I say.

I agree. If my timing plans weren't so up in the air this year, I would step up and do the box-office gig. I have the skills, just not sure about the time. :cry:
In dust we trust.

robbidobbs
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:52 am

One of my fondest early playa memories is my 2nd year out there. It was the year DMV had been taken over by Rangers, and was located at Gate. Yep, way out there.
Unless there was an art car to be checked, it was pretty damn peaceful out there. So I set out to entertain those waiting at will call. Just random performance art crap. It kept me busy and it was at least something to watch rather than your shoes.

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:17 pm

Not having anyone to manage the lines is pretty piss poor planning IMHO.

I was pretty pissed that I got there EA during one of those long hate shift changes. Gate wouldn't let my will call passenger go get his ticket while we spent an hour waiting at APEX. We were a couple of cars back, and he could have gone & been back with about a half hour to spare. Their reasoning was that I might leave him there at will call. Huh? This is Wednesday pre opening. If he wasn't through the line by the time they reopened gate, I'd go over to will call. Just seemed stupid to me.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:23 pm

i really wanted to volunteer at box office but...

the required 4 -6 hour shifts made me change my mind.

Ill stick with ice and this year playa info
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:56 pm

How long are the ice shifts? (Somehow I assumed most departments would do at least 4 hours).

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:58 pm

ice shifts are 3 hours long

playa info shifts are 4 hours long
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:42 pm

Yep the four shifts had me re-thinking my plans to volunteer for will call. But the AMA on Reddit yesterday with Nimbus and Lulu has be giving it a second thought since those ladies seem like a hell of a lot of fun to work with!

I'm gonna talk to American Boyfriend later today when we skype about our early arrival plans to see if I can make it work.

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:58 pm

Oh now I get it. I thought you said the shifts were 4 to 6 hours, but you said 4 shifts of 6 hours each.

I should work on my reading comprehension.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:06 pm

:D when I wrote " 4 -6 ". I thought, that looks not quite clear...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:31 am

pink wrote:Not having anyone to manage the lines is pretty piss poor planning IMHO.

I was pretty pissed that I got there EA during one of those long hate shift changes. Gate wouldn't let my will call passenger go get his ticket while we spent an hour waiting at APEX. We were a couple of cars back, and he could have gone & been back with about a half hour to spare. Their reasoning was that I might leave him there at will call. Huh? This is Wednesday pre opening. If he wasn't through the line by the time they reopened gate, I'd go over to will call. Just seemed stupid to me.
You may have gone to pick up your passenger from Will Call, sure. There are hundreds of people that get abandoned at Will Call every burn. The Apex staff cannot know if you have common sense or not.

The standing rules for Will Call are simple. If you have a person in your vehicle, you drive into the Will Call lot and then your passengers can get their tickets.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:55 am

There are similar "no non-ticketed burner left behind" processes at the airport. Similar complaining. Doocracy-style there will always be lone GPE-geniuses, but if you are one, you will probably do more good joining that department as a volunteer.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:05 am

Yeah, I can't fault gate crew there. Even on the Wednesday pre-event there were a lot of vehicles in the area, and they're tasked with getting people through there safely and managing the flow of traffic. People wandering away or getting separated from their vehicle is a major factor in traffic and safety problems there, and of course everyone who's ever wanted to do that feels confident that that would never happen to them.

delle

Post by delle » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:39 am

So convinced am I that 2015's clusterfuck will be elsewhere, I'm going to go with Will Call for my first time this august.

I don't think it really counts, as those taking the bus have their event tickets handed over before boarding the bus... but still: I'm calling myself downright badass* with this decision.

*I type this fully conscious that there will be those who will, in their minds, at least, change that word to others. To them I say a lovely "fuck you" in advance with as deep and graceful a curtsy as I can muster
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:14 pm

Will-call got it's ass kicked pretty hard last year.. I'm sure they have put a lot of work into it for this year..

Yes. if you leave your car to pick up at will call and your driver moves.. Chances are you will have a hell-of-a-time finding it again.. Gate, Will-call and Greeters have almost no land marks.. Lots of wide open space with moving cars as a landscape..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

jneilvindy

Post by jneilvindy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:49 pm

Ok so question...

scene: 4 friends, 3 with tickets. 1 needs will-call. gate road line. 6+hour wait

act 1. will-call friend grabs bike off back of U-Haul. peddles over to will-call.

scene: 4 friends utilizing the self reliance principles of burning man somehow, someway manage to find each other at some point in time and space after the greeters station and before one or all of them die in the desert and or the vehicle they all arrived in leaves BRC.

Just as an aside is there numbers somewhere as to how many people find themselves stranded at burning man? Vanished friends? Missed the burner bus? Vehicular breakdown and they have no fall-back plan or buddies to rescue them?

Clearly everyone is off-playa who's not supposed to be there by some point in the week after BM I'm guessing.

will the last vehicle out please clean up the corpses or are they left for the buzzards? Are there even buzzards around there?
Everything I know about the western deserts I learned from Clint Eastwood movies. And weren't they filmed in Italy? :)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:06 pm

So after will-call the person left behind is just going to bicycle to the greeters? Hummmm. If they are going to wait for him at greeters couldn't they just wait with him at will-call? It would be quicker.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:27 pm

Single will call gets dropped off, picks up ticket, hitchhikes to designated intersection and starts hopeless search for campmates??? :shock:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Molotov
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:15 & D

Post by Molotov » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:36 pm

It almost looks like the Burning Man Blog is crowdsourcing excellent ideas to solve the problem. I just hope they read them.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:39 pm

Problem? What problem?
Borrowing a page from the Plug and Play/Boutique Hotel/Sellout defenders play-book, I did not go through will-call last year, it did not affect me.
Therefore it is obvious that there was no problem, and nothing to do different or solve. See how easy that was. You are all welcome.

Or maybe there was a problem, and I was not aware of it.....(but this would require humility, sympathy, compassion and other non-10 Burner principles).
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

unitivity

Post by unitivity » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:24 pm

My friend wanted to register but his car broke down and he missed it yesterday can he do anything?

he was registered last year.
unit

unitivity

Post by unitivity » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:39 pm

not self reliant, forget it sorry i should just read more. thankyou trilo your the best, thanks for last years great help and what a great time we had. best regards UNIT..
unit

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:48 pm

unitivity wrote:My friend wanted to register but his car broke down and he missed it yesterday can he do anything?

he was registered last year.
It appears your friend missed registration. You might try emailing ticketing support (ticketsupport@burningman.com) as they hold the power.

Additionally, stay on top of registration announcements for STEP and the OMG Sale.

Good luck!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:39 pm

Begs the question why did he wait until the very last day?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:17 pm

trilobyte wrote:Yeah, I can't fault gate crew there. Even on the Wednesday pre-event there were a lot of vehicles in the area, and they're tasked with getting people through there safely and managing the flow of traffic. People wandering away or getting separated from their vehicle is a major factor in traffic and safety problems there, and of course everyone who's ever wanted to do that feels confident that that would never happen to them.
Um, we we AT Apex. Only 4 or 5 lines of traffic, and when we got there maybe 20 cars. And it was apparent we weren't going anywhere for awhile. This is the second time I've gotten there at a shift change and it takes upwards of an hour. Gate knows how long it takes to change shifts. Just annoying. They also wouldn't let the people who needed will call drive over to will call. So we just sat there.

Oh well, full wifi & cell coverage so I actually did business while I was waiting. Which I really don't like to do on vacation
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:02 am

Um, don't get out of your vehicles also applies to the vehicles that are at Apex. Whether it's a shift change or some other reason, that spot can go from being really backed up to moving along quickly in a very short period of time, which is exactly why people should not be separating from their vehicles. There have been enough problems with those who run ahead that there just aren't any exceptions to that rule.

Q: When is it okay for a passenger to get out of the vehicle to go to will call? A: When your vehicle has parked in the will call lot.

AlexMN1984

Post by AlexMN1984 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:00 pm

Print-at-home tickets are the obvious solution. Counterfeiting/photocopying issues could be addressed by allowing tickets to be trasferred electronically, so that once I transfer a ticket to you, it would get a new barcode and my original ticket would no longer scan.

Return to “2015 Tickets Discussion”