Who got tickets in the Individual Sale?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
magpiejay
Burning Since: 2013

Re: Who got tickets in the Individual Sale?

Post by magpiejay » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:15 pm

Fellow 'B-of-the-bang'er here (12pm, no ticket).
And being in Australia, had the night of no sleep and 6.45am wake up call to contend with too.

Went from 'wait under a minute' to 'Game over'.

My theory is that during the 'Paused' line status, sales were temporarily suspended while something was fixed. It kept your place in line, but somehow people were able to get straight into the system when it went back up. This would tally with reports of 'shorter wait times' or 'got straight through when i tried another browser'.

It's the ticket 'Lot D' for early birds.

At least the system has an illusion of order and I'm taking it all very calmly. I've lucked out the last two years, so this year I was due a fail.

'If it's meant to be'..etc etc.

So. March 12th. Attempt two.

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:34 pm

Tech rehash with more detail:

So I opened and pre-signed into the ticketfly ticket page and pasted the link in my email into the ticket page and hit ENTER at exactly 12:00 per my computer clock.

The screen went to a funny ticket page and then this:
burningman.jpg
I watched the page awhile and then opened another window with the email link minus the promo code and got in immediately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CoachB
Burning Since: 1998

Post by CoachB » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:35 pm

Humm a little help from the unruly crowd please. Finally my promo code accepted and it redirected me to website.

Then asked if I still wanted to purchase tickets.YES please.

Now I have been stuck for over hour and half with this message:

""Promo code ______ is invalid or tickets may not yet be available"

what the heck does that mean and do I continue holding?
gracious for some advice to the issue if anyone else has experienced it.
salude
B

stephen2u
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: No

Post by stephen2u » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:36 pm

You know the System is screwed. If you're part of a group a big camp you have to pay them and they give you a link for tickets and you get them, if your the little guy not part of a camp you have to wait in the long line and you may get a ticket you may not, I think next year We will joint a camp and not show up at that camp but do what I do at burning man and camp with my wife and friends.
If burning man really what’s to fix itself just put a name on the ticket of the buyer, and checked at the gate, so no scalping on tickets, if you can’t make it return to ticketfly for full refund, then the ticket is resold at face value.

deedle
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Moon Cheese

Post by deedle » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:44 pm

anyone willing to sell 1 more? there are 3 of us in our group...we only got 2 tickets thus far. we all tried for tickets! any help would be HUGE!

thanks...hope to see you on the playa!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:48 pm

stephen2u wrote:You know the System is screwed. If you're part of a group a big camp you have to pay them and they give you a link for tickets and you get them, if your the little guy not part of a camp you have to wait in the long line and you may get a ticket you may not, I think next year We will joint a camp and not show up at that camp but do what I do at burning man and camp with my wife and friends.
Camps don't offer the ability to buy directed tickets to strangers, because of the risk of that happening.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:51 pm

stephen2u wrote:You know the System is screwed. If you're part of a group a big camp you have to pay them and they give you a link for tickets and you get them, if your the little guy not part of a camp you have to wait in the long line and you may get a ticket you may not, I think next year We will joint a camp and not show up at that camp but do what I do at burning man and camp with my wife and friends.
First, nobody in the DSG sale is guaranteed tickets either, and not everybody got them.

Second, don't be an asshole, which is what you're describing doing. Camp tickets via the DSG sale are for members of that camp, period. The camp runners tell BM how many they need, and then they get allocated X number of codes, which are basically registrations - they don't guarantee tickets. Doing what you're describing doing would be willingly screwing over the camp that was nice enough to take you in. Don't do it.

msj2u
Burning Since: 2003

Post by msj2u » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:01 pm

So, I got 2 tickets (thankfully), but no vehicle pass

MSJ
The older I get, the less patience I have for stupid.

I can't be muted

andy

Post by andy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:10 pm

[quote="WeezerMike"][quote="jayceeco"]There are 400 tickets for sale already on Stubhub for $1000 each. Vehicle passes for $400. $1800 profit for being able to get in in the first few seconds.[/quote]

There's a world of difference between offering a ticket for $1,000 and getting it. Plus I wouldn't doubt that many of these people have no ticket and expect to buy one below $1,000 before the event. One thing I noticed when watching eBay in previous years is that the number of tickets actually sold isn't all that high - about 10-20 tickets a day in the final 2 weeks. So a few hundred tickets might sell above face on eBay, and a few hundred on StubHub, but it's probably less than 1% of the total attendance.

stephen2u

Post by stephen2u » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:16 pm

I am sorry for being an asshole. I am just sad I have Friends from Europe going to burning Man this year and I was going to set up the camp for them and I don't think I'm going to be able to that, this sucks
If burning man really what’s to fix itself just put a name on the ticket of the buyer, and checked at the gate, so no scalping on tickets, if you can’t make it return to ticketfly for full refund, then the ticket is resold at face value.

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:19 pm

It's far from over yet. There's still STEP, OMG and your local networks.

The
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Post by The » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:37 pm

My coworker and I looked like fools trying to get him tickets today. I had already received tickets through DGS so I was just helping him with the process. From 59 minutes to 15 minutes to over and hour and then the countdown from 20 minutes. He was successful at getting the tickets but not the parking pass. It was a crazy exciting day! We are happy to be returning this year. :lol:

zeigen
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DeBocceRi / Planned Playahood

Post by zeigen » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:41 pm

trilobyte wrote:2012 was the worst year (demand was roughly triple), and this year the runner up (demand for the Individual Sale was roughly double the supply).
Trilo, the blog post said that 80k people registered for 40k tickets. Are you assuming that each of the 80k is only going to buy one ticket? I think most people buy two tickets, so the demand was roughly four times the supply, not double.

I clicked three seconds after noon. And I'm serious, my watch showed 12:00:03. (It would have been right at noon, but I accidentally hit refresh first.) The queue page showed me 48 minutes, then 55 minutes, then paused, then "more than an hour" and it finally went back to 59 minutes right around the time I started reading reports of tickets selling out at 1:07.

Of the twelve people in our camp who tried to buy tickets today who I heard back from, one guy got a pair, and 11 people were in the same boat as me -- waited for more than an hour to be told it was sold out. Maybe our camp was unlucky but something doesn't add up.

zeigen
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DeBocceRi / Planned Playahood

Post by zeigen » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:49 pm

Never mind, I see you already answered here:
viewtopic.php?f=417&t=73095

So around 40k individual registrations assumed to be 80k tickets being purchased for 40k tickets available.

battle_pixie

Post by battle_pixie » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:03 pm

Got one! first timer going solo and no car pass. Guess that means I need to dive into the community and make some friends so I can get out there. ^_^

burn_shady

Post by burn_shady » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:06 pm

Ok, 80k registered for 40k tickets. Lets assume each lucky bastard that got in bought two tickets. This means that 20k got in and 60k got boned. Now, as of today, there are 60k angry registrations looking for 120k tickets (again, going with 1reg equals a desire for 2 tickets). Even if 2/3 of those registers flake out, that still leaves 20k registers looking for 40k of tickets.... Even if we adjust the 1reg=2tix, that demand is far greater than any remaining supply. The claim that the OMG sale is going to put even the smallest dent into that demand is ludicrous and can only be meant as a diversion from reality to shut people up. If the OMG sale = 1k tickets and we keep the assumption that 1reg=2tix, that means only 500 registrations will end up with something out of the OMG sale. I'm not liking those odds at all, and in fact I'm feeling a bit insulted by them. I'm really sick of hearing about the OMG sale as my next "big chance". Math says no.

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 pm

stephen2u wrote:I am sorry for being an asshole. I am just sad I have Friends from Europe going to burning Man this year and I was going to set up the camp for them and I don't think I'm going to be able to that, this sucks
I didn't say you were an asshole, and as I don't have any reason to believe otherwise, I'm sure you're a nice guy. Just saying don't turn into one with the plan you mentioned. :)

econ][

Post by econ][ » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Does TicketFly publish specs on their architecture? I want to know how they guarantee first come first serve.

Bless

Post by Bless » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:15 pm

burn_shady wrote:Ok, 80k registered for 40k tickets. Lets assume each lucky bastard that got in bought two tickets. This means that 20k got in and 60k got boned. Now, as of today, there are 60k angry registrations looking for 120k tickets (again, going with 1reg equals a desire for 2 tickets). Even if 2/3 of those registers flake out, that still leaves 20k registers looking for 40k of tickets.... Even if we adjust the 1reg=2tix, that demand is far greater than any remaining supply. The claim that the OMG sale is going to put even the smallest dent into that demand is ludicrous and can only be meant as a diversion from reality to shut people up. If the OMG sale = 1k tickets and we keep the assumption that 1reg=2tix, that means only 500 registrations will end up with something out of the OMG sale. I'm not liking those odds at all, and in fact I'm feeling a bit insulted by them. I'm really sick of hearing about the OMG sale as my next "big chance". Math says no.

If it makes you feel any better, there are usually more than 1,000 tickets in the OMG sale.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:17 pm

Bless wrote:
burn_shady wrote:Ok, 80k registered for 40k tickets. Lets assume each lucky bastard that got in bought two tickets. This means that 20k got in and 60k got boned. Now, as of today, there are 60k angry registrations looking for 120k tickets (again, going with 1reg equals a desire for 2 tickets). Even if 2/3 of those registers flake out, that still leaves 20k registers looking for 40k of tickets.... Even if we adjust the 1reg=2tix, that demand is far greater than any remaining supply. The claim that the OMG sale is going to put even the smallest dent into that demand is ludicrous and can only be meant as a diversion from reality to shut people up. If the OMG sale = 1k tickets and we keep the assumption that 1reg=2tix, that means only 500 registrations will end up with something out of the OMG sale. I'm not liking those odds at all, and in fact I'm feeling a bit insulted by them. I'm really sick of hearing about the OMG sale as my next "big chance". Math says no.

If it makes you feel any better, there are usually more than 1,000 tickets in the OMG sale.
And if this makes you feel any better, I had a friend that got screwed in the main sale last year and got two tickets in the OMG sale. Yep, they went quick, but people do succeed.
In dust we trust.

Bless

Post by Bless » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:18 pm

econ][ wrote:Does TicketFly publish specs on their architecture? I want to know how they guarantee first come first serve.
No, it does not. And I don't think it's "guaranteed," whatever that means.

burn_shady

Post by burn_shady » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:24 pm

Bless wrote:
That is the only thing that would make it better. I hope you're right. Thanks.
danibel wrote:And if this makes you feel any better, I had a friend that got screwed in the main sale last year and got two tickets in the OMG sale. Yep, they went quick, but people do succeed.
Sorry, but no, anecdotal evidence just means *someone* got through... I've already allowed for 500 getting through and I still don't like my odds, but thanks for trying anyway. I'm sure your friend was thrilled as would I be if I just won a lottery of sorts. (Sorry, I'm not normally this craptacular but I'm pretty soured on how this went... I do appreciate your intention, so sincerely thanks for that.)

stephen2u

Post by stephen2u » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:28 pm

I still think the lottery should be used for all the people i know that the big camps will still go like they did in 2012.

mhead
Burning Since: 2014

Post by mhead » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Don't overlook the root cause of ticket shortages: this event is held on public land. I can imagine BMorg increasing the number of tickets towards the demand. That's how America works. Make more money after all. But the attendance is set by the land managers. Your gov't at work. If no ticket the basic problem isn't internet or BMorg. Focus on political pressure on the regulators, which I believe are BLM in this case. They actually do, and should, listen to how the public wants our public lands used.

burn_shady

Post by burn_shady » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:36 pm

mhead wrote:Don't overlook the root cause of ticket shortages: this event is held on public land. I can imagine BMorg increasing the number of tickets towards the demand. That's how America works. Make more money after all. But the attendance is set by the land managers. Your gov't at work. If no ticket the basic problem isn't internet or BMorg. Focus on political pressure on the regulators, which I believe are BLM in this case. They actually do, and should, listen to how the public wants our public lands used.
Actually, my only angst right now is with ticketfly more than anything else. I can guarantee that people entered the "line" after me and they got tickets (I had a confirmed place in line within 15 seconds of noon).

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:48 pm

battle_pixie wrote:Got one! first timer going solo and no car pass. Guess that means I need to dive into the community and make some friends so I can get out there. ^_^
That's the attitude! Welcome :)
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Bless

Post by Bless » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:49 pm

mhead wrote:Don't overlook the root cause of ticket shortages: this event is held on public land. I can imagine BMorg increasing the number of tickets towards the demand. That's how America works. Make more money after all. But the attendance is set by the land managers. Your gov't at work. If no ticket the basic problem isn't internet or BMorg. Focus on political pressure on the regulators, which I believe are BLM in this case. They actually do, and should, listen to how the public wants our public lands used.
I promise you BLM has larger concerns in mind than simply pleasing more burners. Perhaps how many people can the event sustainably support without undue environmental impact? Keep in mind, TTITD has grown significantly over the past few years. It's probably prudent to constrain further growth.

Killbuck
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Killbuck » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:14 pm

Over the last few years, I've heard enough of them to fill several books.

Visit SIDESHOW at our kewl website http://sideshow2017.weebly.com

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Bless wrote:
I promise you BLM has larger concerns in mind than simply pleasing more burners. Perhaps how many people can the event sustainably support without undue environmental impact? Keep in mind, TTITD has grown significantly over the past few years. It's probably prudent to constrain further growth.

Thanks Bless. Wanted to respond in the same vein but my head hurts right now.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

stephen2u

Post by stephen2u » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:31 pm

Return to “2015 Tickets Discussion”