Who got tickets in the Individual Sale?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
KnotJim
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Peace Camp

Re: Who got tickets in the Individual Sale?

Post by KnotJim » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:35 pm

[quote="battle_pixie"]Got one! first timer going solo and no car pass. Guess that means I need to dive into the community and make some friends so I can get out there. ^_^[/quote]

Looks like I'm in the same boat too, my friends didn't get tickets. If they don't have any luck in STEP & OMG I'll be flying solo for my first burn, it might be a real hoot to do it that way? Best of luck to you.
Or maybe there is a camp willing to adopt an old sailor with mad knot tying & BBQ skillz... :wink:
The deeper I go the happier I get

Killbuck
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Killbuck » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:46 pm

"If you didn’t get one, please know that you’ve still got options:

Vehicle Passes will be sold in the OMG Sale. In fact, there will be more VPs available than tickets. For those who have not purchased a VP from us yet, there will be an option to register to purchase just a VP — so if you didn’t get a VP in the Individual Sale, you’ll be able to register to purchase one in the OMG Sale."

And don't discount the idea that more passes may eventually be available.
Visit SIDESHOW at our kewl website http://sideshow2017.weebly.com

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:20 pm

No ticket - no vehicle pass :cry:
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:29 pm

mhead wrote:Don't overlook the root cause of ticket shortages: this event is held on public land. I can imagine BMorg increasing the number of tickets towards the demand. That's how America works. Make more money after all. But the attendance is set by the land managers. Your gov't at work. If no ticket the basic problem isn't internet or BMorg. Focus on political pressure on the regulators, which I believe are BLM in this case. They actually do, and should, listen to how the public wants our public lands used.
Mhead, I agree the BLM are good eggs.
But the participant number is not based on politics. As has been explained countless times around here, the bottleneck is the traffic capacity of the 100 miles of narrow two-lane road leading to the event site.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Monkeystyle
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Post by Monkeystyle » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:05 pm

so I'm hearing from multiple sources that if you logged into ticketfly, went to their burning man page, and typed in your promo code, that it didn't put you in the line and just went right to the next step... which would explain the jumping further and further back in the line up times....

Eric
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:47 pm

Monkeystyle wrote:so I'm hearing from multiple sources that if you logged into ticketfly, went to their burning man page, and typed in your promo code, that it didn't put you in the line and just went right to the next step... which would explain the jumping further and further back in the line up times....
Or not. The wait times hopped around in the Directed Group Sale as well, and there was no "exploit" known at the time (or else it would have been all over the place weeks ago, not just today). Not all people who get into the ticket-buying area type at the same speed, nor had TicketFly accounts set up in advance, and multiple hundreds of people creating those will slow the line down. I don't work for Ticketing so I have no idea about how or if the exploit posted on reddit worked, but I would bet big bucks that they're as aware of it as the rest of the community.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

magdelyn

Post by magdelyn » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:12 pm

so I'm hearing from multiple sources that if you logged into ticketfly, went to their burning man page, and typed in your promo code, that it didn't put you in the line and just went right to the next step... which would explain the jumping further and further back in the line up times....

That is infuriating. I feel like I've been lied to by BM. It reminds me of the lottery they put up. One can only fail to get a ticket some many times before thinking that there is something not right going on.
You've been designated for termination.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:34 pm

I can't overemphasize the importance of getting to know your regional contacts, getting to know local burners, & attending your regional events. I know of 2 people who didn't get tickets in the main sale today who are true assets to our Village that will now be getting tickets that were bought in the DGS. The more contacts you have the better your chances of snagging a ticket or vehicle pass. Now that most folks know if they are going or not, everyone will start making travel plans, hopefully carpooling, & freeing up some unneeded vehicle passes.

Last year I was looking at driving by myself but then at a regional campout & later at a monthly meeting ended up with 3 travel companions. We had never met before & had a blast traveling & burning together. Had I been a solo camper & not attended those events I would have had a very boring & slightly more expensive 4,000 mile round trip.

--Just say'n
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:49 pm

Artwor....i mean PROPAGANDA from the secret Lab of Doktur Morbius.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:03 am

I registered on February 11th and updated my Ticketfly account. I clicked on the email link today exactly as my GPS-synchronized clock ticked from 11:59:59 to 12:00:00. Did not touch the browser window after that, only watched. Was placed in the line, the times wobbled around a bit, the line paused for a while, but then it allowed me to place an order. I was done at 12:24.

As far as I can tell, I did everything exactly as the emailed instructions said to do, and it all worked as expected. Not to say I deserved it, but a process like this will act as a sieve. Those who click on the link 5 seconds late, or are on slow internet, or the email went to spam folder, or didn't create a Ticketfly account, or were distracted for a few moments by their pets or family, or were delayed in traffic by just one minute...all perfectly understandable problems, but this is a sprint and you have to be Usain Bolt.

It's not a random lottery, it's just completely unforgiving of being even 20 seconds late, and there's no prize for participation.

Mids

Post by Mids » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:12 am

I was quick off the mark but didn't get tickets. Hit that green button as soon as it appeared. Pretty gutted! But will try STEP once it comes up in March. Just harder to plan coming from the UK

nikster

Post by nikster » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:04 am

[quote="maladroit"]I registered on February 11th and updated my Ticketfly account. I clicked on the email link today exactly as my GPS-synchronized clock ticked from 11:59:59 to 12:00:00. Did not touch the browser window after that, only watched. Was placed in the line, the times wobbled around a bit, the line paused for a while, but then it allowed me to place an order. I was done at 12:24.

As far as I can tell, I did everything exactly as the emailed instructions said to do, and it all worked as expected. Not to say I deserved it, but a process like this will act as a sieve. Those who click on the link 5 seconds late, or are on slow internet, or the email went to spam folder, or didn't create a Ticketfly account, or were distracted for a few moments by their pets or family, or were delayed in traffic by just one minute...all perfectly understandable problems, but this is a sprint and you have to be Usain Bolt.

It's not a random lottery, it's just completely unforgiving of being even 20 seconds late, and there's no prize for participation.[/quote]

I did the same as you. I watched my Mac's clock - it's internet synchronized and I had made sure it was accurate. I had set it to show seconds, and to flash separators. I tested a few times before tick tock tick tock... click! I hit the button at 11:59:59 plus almost one second, counting in my mind. And I got the ticket at 12:21.

But many of my friends did not get tickets, and they also clicked within the first minute. And there was the thing where people would bypass the line or get a shorter queue on reloading the page? I think the wait .... animation in the browser was glitchy for some. Maybe it worked for us because we were the very first, but the glitches only happened once the grand torrent of connections poured in; in that situation, web servers get weak in the bones and strange things can happen. My guess is there were definitely glitches. If you hit the link in minute one, and don't get a ticket, something is off. And this happened to at least 4 or 5 in our camp. Of course in hindsight we'll never know....

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:34 am

This was my 6th attempt to buy tickets as they go on sale, averages out to about 50/50. Half of the time I don't get tickets, but that small detail has never kept me from finding my way...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Mids

Post by Mids » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:35 am

Jackass wrote:This was my 6th attempt to buy tickets as they go on sale, averages out to about 50/50. Half of the time I don't get tickets, but that small detail has never kept me from finding my way...
I'm so determined to get back this year! :)

littlebear2014

Post by littlebear2014 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:33 am

Here’s my story:

I clicked the link in the email at about 11:55am. It took me to a page that says “You are a bit early, no need to refresh the page as soon as the sale opens a button will appear”. I clicked that button less than a second after it appeared though i can't say exactly what time that was vs. atomic time. (Que same story as everyone with fluctuating times finally getting to zero and tickets were sold out). I seriously don’t think I could have done it any better.

I have one additional conspiracy theory though – I’m currently in the Netherlands for work and although I don’t know where their servers are TicketFly is headquartered in San Francisco and at the time of sale I can see that the ping time from Amsterdam to SF was over a quarter of a second, meaning I was half a second behind before the race even started. Granted this isn’t a huge amount of time but it could have been the difference between in and out. Im curious what the failure rate is for international attendees vs. Bay area ones.

Roy333

Post by Roy333 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:35 am

I got in line in less than a minute. Initially it told me I had a 36 minute wait. Shortly the line stalled. When it started moving again it said that there was over an hours wait.
My daughter went on and called me around 15 minutes after it started and had her tickets confirmed.
I watched the lint till it reached the end. I even tried reloading from the email link and was taken back to the same point in line. I waited till I got in to find it was sold out.

All is not lost. My daughter can't go to Burning Man this year and is selling Meyer tickets.
There is still hope if you keep trying.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:34 am

stephen2u wrote:You know the System is screwed. If you're part of a group a big camp you have to pay them and they give you a link for tickets and you get them, if your the little guy not part of a camp you have to wait in the long line and you may get a ticket you may not, I think next year We will joint a camp and not show up at that camp but do what I do at burning man and camp with my wife and friends.
Assuming you aren't talking about those $17,000.00 per person, you are incorrect in your thinking. The directed early sale is first come, first served too and just because you're invited, doesn't guarantee you get a ticket.

Not to mention, joining a camp and thinking you would be offered an early sale opportunity is a joke. It's hard enough to get tickets for the core members and you think joining as a first time member you would invited? hahaha :shock:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:48 am

Elderberry wrote:
stephen2u wrote:You know the System is screwed. If you're part of a group a big camp you have to pay them and they give you a link for tickets and you get them, if your the little guy not part of a camp you have to wait in the long line and you may get a ticket you may not, I think next year We will joint a camp and not show up at that camp but do what I do at burning man and camp with my wife and friends.
Assuming you aren't talking about those $17,000.00 per person, you are incorrect in your thinking. The directed early sale is first come, first served too and just because you're invited, doesn't guarantee you get a ticket.

Not to mention, joining a camp and thinking you would be offered an early sale opportunity is a joke. It's hard enough to get tickets for the core members and you think joining as a first time member you would invited? hahaha :shock:
Indeed, one of my core members did not get a ticket in either sale. Not a problem, we have several options to try in the next few months.

Killbuck
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Killbuck » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:54 am

Anything worth doing is worth effort and determination.
Visit SIDESHOW at our kewl website http://sideshow2017.weebly.com

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:00 am

bigjim242 wrote: Looks like I'm in the same boat too, my friends didn't get tickets. If they don't have any luck in STEP & OMG I'll be flying solo for my first burn, it might be a real hoot to do it that way? Best of luck to you.
Or maybe there is a camp willing to adopt an old sailor with mad knot tying & BBQ skillz... :wink:
A lot of folks swear by flying solo first time around. And knot tying skills are definitely great out there. My first year out I was the only one in camp who knew any knots, without my lashing skillz we wouldn't have had monkey huts. That's what I like to tell myself anyway ;)
Eric wrote:
Monkeystyle wrote:so I'm hearing from multiple sources that if you logged into ticketfly, went to their burning man page, and typed in your promo code, that it didn't put you in the line and just went right to the next step... which would explain the jumping further and further back in the line up times....
Or not. The wait times hopped around in the Directed Group Sale as well, and there was no "exploit" known at the time (or else it would have been all over the place weeks ago, not just today). Not all people who get into the ticket-buying area type at the same speed, nor had TicketFly accounts set up in advance, and multiple hundreds of people creating those will slow the line down. I don't work for Ticketing so I have no idea about how or if the exploit posted on reddit worked, but I would bet big bucks that they're as aware of it as the rest of the community.
Yep. I had a weirdness with putting my address in and it took easily 6 attempts and being told I hadn't entered it right before I could proceed. I'm sure what for me was panic at those extra few seconds/minutes was frustration for people in line behind me

staceyann85

Post by staceyann85 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 am

Yay! We were able to get in one time to purchase 2 tickets and a vehicle pass. We have been saving and planning this trip for a couple years now. Just hope we are able to purchase 1 more ticket for our third person. This will be our first time to BRC! I was fortunate enough to attend the regional event in Michigan last year and even design the who what and where program. It was fantastic. Can't wait to go home!!!

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Post by wraith » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:30 am

MedullaB wrote:Frustrating... when I first hit the site at noon I got right to purchase tickets, then it 404'd on me.. reloaded at went to queue. I had thought to go to the URL before the 404 but was so nervous about losing my queue I didn't... I am still in queue and upon hearing the sellout, I loaded the url and was taken right to the buy tickets page (sold out).

Wondering if queue could have easily been bypassed here.

http://tickets.burningman.org/purchase/event/#####

Seems a lot of folks may have gone that route. I'm pretty comfortable having missed out, I guess. I can do Hearths of Phyre instead and save a few thousand bucks, but I'll miss the dust.

rmc50

Post by rmc50 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:33 am

I guess I was really lucky!

I had copied the url from the email I got when I registered to buy into the address bar of my browser. This link had the "code" embedded into it so that it didn't have to be entered later.

I opened a window to the "National Institute of Standards and Technology" to look at the official time (it even adjusts the clock to compensate for network delays!)
I was at work, which has a much faster internet connection than at home.

I hit "enter" right when the clock rolled from 11:59:59 to 12:00:00

I went straight to the page where I could start the process of buying tickets. No waiting.
For once in my life, I was first in line!

I suspect that the key thing was following the link rather than sitting at the page and waiting for it to update.

Toronto

Post by Toronto » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:56 pm

I waited for the green button, but I did it at the office (a sizable company)...fast PC and dedicated/quick internet connection from LA.

I also had my credit card number and address in a notepad to quickly copy-paste. Got 2 individual and VP.

Hayseed
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Hayseed » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:01 pm

A story about my friend and his dad, both trying to get 2 tickets between them, logging in from different States. Sonny Boy clicks green a nano-second after 12:00 and gets the now familiar 48 min, over one hour, etc.

Dad's at a Café and nuts up - can't figure out how to access wifi as the clock ticks past 12:00. Sonny Boy talks him onto a connection and dad logs in at 12:12; that's 12 minutes after 12:00.

With a show of hands, how many already know how this ends?

Very good! You're right, dad breezes straight through and gets 2 tickets and VP.

WTF

jneilvindy

Post by jneilvindy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:07 pm

Hayseed wrote:A story about my friend and his dad, both trying to get 2 tickets between them, logging in from different States. Sonny Boy clicks green a nano-second after 12:00 and gets the now familiar 48 min, over one hour, etc.

Dad's at a Café and nuts up - can't figure out how to access wifi as the clock ticks past 12:00. Sonny Boy talks him onto a connection and dad logs in at 12:12; that's 12 minutes after 12:00.

With a show of hands, how many already know how this ends?

Very good! You're right, dad breezes straight through and gets 2 tickets and VP.

WTF
Will dad pick my next powerball lotto ticket numbers please?

Eric
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:39 pm

stephen2u wrote:I think next year We will joint a camp and not show up at that camp but do what I do at burning man and camp with my wife and friends.
Like Elderberry & AntiM said, if you're talking about getting tickets through the DGS as a first-time member of a camp, it ain't gonna happen - unless, of course, the people in that camp know you & know they can rely on you. Thinking you could get a rare & precious invite out of a camp as a first-timer & then screw them over - remember, these are for people they need to build their camp - by camping elsewhere would pretty much put you on not only their shit-list, but the shit-list of any other camps they know, pretty much ensuring that you would never get to go that route again (and, trust me, anyone who's a member of an established theme-camp has friends in lots of other theme-camps as well).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:30 pm

And getting a DGS ticket and screwing over the camp/project/MVi which issued the invite? Shit list time. Granted, I have no firsthand knowledge of a shit list, but betcha one is real, and it is spectacular!

Or I could be wrong, but I may be right.

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:36 pm

There's a pretty great Theme Camp Organisers discussion group I'm part of. I can absolutely see people who pull this trick being named in it .

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Post by wraith » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:43 pm

Funny thing is this would be less of a problem if everybody and their mother wasn't picking up a second ticket just in case someone else they know doesn't get through.

Return to “2015 Tickets Discussion”