I'm curous about tickets versus numbers applying!

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
jneilvindy
Burning Since: 2014

I'm curous about tickets versus numbers applying!

Post by jneilvindy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:15 am

So the ORG stated that about twice as many people have registered for the open ticket sale than there are tickets this year.

Anyone know what they mean by that?

For instance are they saying if they have 40,000 tickets for sale they have 80,000 people registered?

Cause if 20,000 people each get 2 tickets in the sale then 60,000 people are going without.

But if they mean they have 40,000 tickets and 40,000 registered and then each gets 2 tickets then that leaves 20,000 without tickets.

Big difference in figuring supply versus demand.

I'm really just curious as to how many people are looking at getting left out in the cold so to speak.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: I'm curous about tickets versus numbers applying!

Post by trilobyte » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:31 am

First, I'll clarify by saying that this is not an open sale (ie. open to anybody). Pre-registration is required. To answer your question, the number of registrations (which allow up to 2 tickets and 1 vehicle pass apiece) potentially doubles the available ticket supply. Theoretically, if everyone only purchased one ticket (and only half bought vehicle passes) there may be nearly enough to go around, but most ticket orders are for 2 tickets. This also represents a significant enough increase in the number of registrations for the Individual Sale that Burning Man felt it was necessary to share the info in advance and set people's expectations. In 2014 tickets sold out in just under 45 minutes, between improvements in technology and such a high number of registrations I expect the event to sell out in much less time today.

Good luck to all those seeking tickets. Get only what you need, give a fellow burner a break if you can.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:43 am

jneilvindy wrote:So the ORG stated that about twice as many people have registered for the open ticket sale than there are tickets this year.
Where did they say that? The questions about how many people had registered for the DGS and how many they were expecting to register for the main sale were some of the questions that were noticeably skipped in the Reddit AMA last week.

jneilvindy

Post by jneilvindy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:47 am

Jovankat wrote:
jneilvindy wrote:So the ORG stated that about twice as many people have registered for the open ticket sale than there are tickets this year.
Where did they say that? The questions about how many people had registered for the DGS and how many they were expecting to register for the main sale were some of the questions that were noticeably skipped in the Reddit AMA last week.
The latest jack rabbit? Burning man facebook? I know I just read it somewhere recently!

I'm at work so I can't go digging to much right now.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:59 am

"Burning Voices"
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:00 am

Burning Man does not typically discuss those numbers period, but that info was in yesterday's blog post (which was parroted on the FB and twitter accounts, etc) to help set peoples' expectations about today's sale.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:15 am

Ah ok. I couldn't see it on the FB page and looked at the tickets twitter account not the main one. Cool cool.

jneilvindy

Post by jneilvindy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:22 am

And I had just checked the burningman facebook page and read either post above and below the one that had the actual information in it so I was thinking I had seen it somewhere else!

It's a good thing I'm pretty....

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:42 pm

jneilvindy wrote:I'm really just curious as to how many people are looking at getting left out in the cold so to speak.
A lot, by any way you figure. However, they're not technically "left out in the cold", they just weren't able to get tickets to an incredibly popular sold-out event. "Left out in the cold" makes it sound like they were abandoned on the side of the road, and that's not the case. More people want to go then the BLM will allow, hence: demand > supply
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Return to “2015 Tickets Discussion”