Low Income + STEP Program.

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Dogma
Burning Since: 2014

Low Income + STEP Program.

Post by Dogma » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi Guys.
I all ready registered at The Low Income but i also wanna apply to the STEP program. Can i do both with my Burner Profile?
Thanks for the help.

Cheers from México City. :mrgreen:

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Low Income + STEP Program.

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:14 pm

One or the other. If you can afford STEP, your LI will be denied.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:29 pm

More importantly, if you can afford STEP you shouldn't even be applying for LI & wasting the time of the people who have to revue every single application to choose the people who get them. They already get way more applications that available tickets, and those tickets are for people who truly couldn't afford a regularly priced ticket. If you have the option of asking this question you probably don't qualify for a low income ticket.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:41 pm

Eric wrote:More importantly, if you can afford STEP you shouldn't even be applying for LI & wasting the time of the people who have to revue every single application to choose the people who get them. They already get way more applications that available tickets, and those tickets are for people who truly couldn't afford a regularly priced ticket. If you have the option of asking this question you probably don't qualify for a low income ticket.
This. Totally this.

Unfortunately, most people view the LI program as just another avenue to get a ticket. They could care less about why this program exists or the guidelines. They just want a ticket and everyone else be damned.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

Dogma
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Dogma » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:39 am

Last year (my first burn) STEP program work for me, and i could buy my ticket after years of saving. This year i apply for Low Income beacause trully i don't have the money right now, but maybe i can afford a normal ticket by selling some of my stuff and things like that (not the best idea, but still an option). Any way it completely make sense what you guys say so i will coross my fingers to the Low Income.
Thanks for answer hope to be back. :shock:

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Has anyone received anything in your email about your low income ticket?
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:06 am

As in years past (and is posted on the low income page), it may take up to six weeks to review applications.

iconoplastyfervor

Post by iconoplastyfervor » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:41 am

Has anyone been notified about their Low Income Ticket status yet? It's been 6 weeks, still nada.
Drinking for my blood type.

Fuse is lit, Ray. Windows are up.

CyanEssence
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Post by CyanEssence » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:36 am

Nothing yet for myself, or a co-teacher/friend who also applied for LIT. I counted the days, and Thursday (5/16/15) was day 42 for me (which is how long they say we might have to wait for the email), so at this point, it is pure torture.

I've done it the past two years, and was accepted. Both times I received confirmation before the 6 week mark. I am holding out hope!

iconoplastyfervor

Post by iconoplastyfervor » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:53 am

CyanEssence wrote:Nothing yet for myself, or a co-teacher/friend who also applied for LIT. I counted the days, and Thursday (5/16/15) was day 42 for me (which is how long they say we might have to wait for the email), so at this point, it is pure torture.

I've done it the past two years, and was accepted. Both times I received confirmation before the 6 week mark. I am holding out hope!
Oh that's good to know, but not because you are also tortured! Thanks for sharing info. I have had the same past experience - they usually confirm it before 6 weeks is up. Seems like the reviewers might be a little overwhelmed, so I'm hesitant to bug them (yet).
Drinking for my blood type.

Fuse is lit, Ray. Windows are up.

CyanEssence

Post by CyanEssence » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:29 pm

I agree, they are probably overwhelmed. I recall seeing an article or two online talking about the LIT program this year, right after the main sale (whatever that is called) - something I don't recall seeing in the online newspapers in the past.

Regardless, keep me posted.

Malice
Camp Name: Polyparadise

Post by Malice » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:23 am

I did bother them. I just had to know. The reply I got back was:

"Hi there,

We understand you are anxious to hear back about the decision on your Low Income Ticket Application. Reviewing applications with the attention they deserve, evaluating each applicant’s financial documents and cross-checking our ticket records to rule out those who have already bought tickets is a time consuming process. To ensure that there is consistency in the review process we have a small team dedicated to this task. Due to the high volume of applications received in the first few days, we are a little behind in our normal 6 week review time.

We really appreciate your patience and will get back to you as soon as we are able. If you haven’t heard back from us in 2 more weeks to please check back in with us then."

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:39 am

interesting, in that we all know many people who apply for and or get LI tickets don't "need" them......but want to save money.
it's sort of "if you can't afford it, don't go.
That said, any of us would do whatever, to be able to go.
I have mixed feelings on the subject, considering the ticket is not the greatest expense of a trip to TTITD.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:31 pm

ygmir wrote: I have mixed feelings on the subject, considering the ticket is not the greatest expense of a trip to TTITD.
Arguably for the vast majority of us, it's the least expensive part of the adventure. As I've always said: To go cheap is expensive, to go expensive isn't necessarily that much more expensive.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:57 pm

@Malice - don't worry, you didn't bother them (even when they're swamped, they're pretty nice people and they do understand that people are anxious for a response).

I pinged them over the weekend as well, they got back to me with the skinny. Cheers to them for taking the time needed to carefully review each applicant, instead of making hasty decisions to stick to the deadline, and hopefully they will have gotten through the backlog and caught back up within the next couple weeks. Good luck to those who are still awaiting a response on their applications.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:56 pm

A couple of redditors have been notified of their low income success! Hold on a little bit longer everyone it's not far off!

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:12 pm

Huzzah ! I just received my confirmation letter for a low income ticket. E-mails are going out...Now to apply for my disability vehicle pass. I will pay with a credit card at will-call booth, and make monthly payments like last year. :coffee:
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:27 pm

Huzzah !!

See ya in the dust Oldguy !

MyPlayaUserName
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Ass Stamp Camp

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:39 pm

Has this become this year's "Official" Low Income ticket thread?

Congrats to those of you who have been notified. I applied March 4th, and am yet to hear back, so I will be quite anxiously checking my e-mail, knowing notifications are being sent. I have been very fortunate to have the privilege of receiving a low income ticket in years past.

MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:35 pm

Just chiming in that a friend got two tickets from STEP last night so tickets are definitely flowing. Best of luck to the rest of the STEP children!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:39 pm

Congrats to all that have heard back from either program. Mr. Beardly thank you for posting that. I was wondering if the first arrivers would be getting theirs this early in the season.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:36 pm

I haven't heard anything yet... :(
i have this sinking feeling...
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Maryanimal all of the 'unticketed' have a bad feeling now and again. Don't let it take hold. You're a good person with genuine facts on your app. Sit back and dream baby. we will all be hugging you soon.

CyanEssence

Post by CyanEssence » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:45 pm

maryanimal wrote:I haven't heard anything yet... :(
i have this sinking feeling...
I have yet to hear back as well. I am still preparing outfits, my gear, my mind, and my body for a good burn, whether it be this year or next, or the next... It's just a matter of how far I have to walk before I get back on the playa.

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:58 pm

Thanks Ratty! I adore you! I read my app conformation and it said it'll be 42 days till I hear from them. It's day 42. Still keeping fingers crossed. I thought I had applied on the opening day, but somehow I screwed that up thinking I clicked on the send button. I wrote a letter a few days later and they said they don't have my application on file. I'm thinking I refiled on the 12th of March.

I'm so looking forward to those hugs too! <3

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm doing the same CyanEssence. I need to get my carport at Costco. They have them here for $228.00. We'll celebrate when we both get our tickets!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Low Income doesn't typically get an official thread, since it represents a very tiny portion of the ticket sales (compared to the DGS and main sales, which are nearly 1/3 and 2/3 chunks of the supply).

Congrats to your friends, MrBeardy, STEP has definitely been working from the very start. As always, pace of tickets offered depends completely on the pace of tickets contributed.

For those still waiting, as I posted on Monday ticketing is chewing through a pretty big backlog. They're taking the extra time needed to give each application full consideration (rather than making hasty judgments), and they expect to be caught back up within a couple weeks.

watchyourfeet

Post by watchyourfeet » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:44 am

I would love to see the inner workings of the STEP program. I know that tickets put into it aren't immediately sold, as I have spoken to friends who released their tickets into STEP and didn't have them sell for several weeks. I wonder how they control the pace of ticket sales in STEP, and why they don't immediately sell them once the original owner releases them into the pool.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:05 am

I don't know about the inner workings but on the surface...The tickets are offered to the next in line and they have 3 days to buy them. It would be a whole lot of People not buying them for it to drag on for weeks. It's possible.

watchyourfeet

Post by watchyourfeet » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:23 am

Ratty wrote:I don't know about the inner workings but on the surface...The tickets are offered to the next in line and they have 3 days to buy them. It would be a whole lot of People not buying them for it to drag on for weeks. It's possible.
I suppose that's possible. It would take 5-7 people to not notice the email for it to take that long. It seems like there's a lag time between the seller releasing their tickets and the email going out to the buyer. There's probably a technical reason hidden in there somewhere.

Return to “2015 Tickets Discussion”