Low Income + STEP Program.

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
neXXtro

Re: Low Income + STEP Program.

Post by neXXtro » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:32 pm

jumping into the thread....yet to hear if'n i gotta L.I.T.
sure would love to dance w/y'all...fingers crossed. (eyes too!)

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:55 am

A friend of mine got his LI confirmation yesterday. He will be going to TTITD this year. The spice is flowing.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Melonblue
Burning Since: 2015

Post by Melonblue » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:06 am

Yay! I love hearing those confirmations of people getting their STEP and LI tickets.

Fantastic! Sending good energy for all those great people waiting on their news.

oly14
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Post by oly14 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:44 pm

TT120 wrote:A friend of mine got his LI confirmation yesterday. He will be going to TTITD this year. The spice is flowing.
The spice is indeed flowing, one of my camp mates got her LI notification yesterday as well.

Malice
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Polyparadise

Post by Malice » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:09 pm

WTF? I sent an email to BMorg because it had been 8 weeks. I got an email back stating that they are JUST NOW reviewing my application. I applied within the first hour of applications being opened and they are only now going through my application?!?!?!??!? EIGHT WEEKS LATER!

MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:58 pm

Malice wrote:WTF? I sent an email to BMorg because it had been 8 weeks. I got an email back stating that they are JUST NOW reviewing my application. I applied within the first hour of applications being opened and they are only now going through my application?!?!?!??!? EIGHT WEEKS LATER!
Totally understand your anger/eagerness to find out about if you qualified, but with demand larger than ever, I'd bet there were 70k applications at a minumum but likely way more now that low-income isn't really used for more than another possible ticket outlet for a lot of people. That is a ridiculous amount of applications to go through so 8 weeks is a totally reasonable time to pick the most worthy burners and weed out those trying to cheat the system or those whom don't qualify. Best of luck to you and the others, still plenty of time to plan and get those dusty ducks in a row.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:47 pm

Tons of applications, plus it's the same ticket team that's managing all the other elements of the ticketing process (STEP, etc). Have patience, be thankful that they're choosing to go through them all with care rather than deal with a backlog by making a bunch of hasty decisions.

watchyourfeet

Post by watchyourfeet » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:25 am

I was always under the impression that they close the applications once they receive 4000 (or a bit more), thus they should have the exact same number of applications to review as any other year. Of course they still have the pressure of all the other sales to deal with, but there's no way they received 70,000 LIT applications.

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:00 am

If they only took 4000 applications there would be no need for any review though, there'd be enough LI tickets for everyone that applied. It would be interesting to know how many applications they got/what the success to failure rate is.

watchyourfeet

Post by watchyourfeet » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:03 am

Jovankat wrote:If they only took 4000 applications there would be no need for any review though, there'd be enough LI tickets for everyone that applied. It would be interesting to know how many applications they got/what the success to failure rate is.
Yeah I assume they take a certain percentage more than 4,000. Maybe 4500? 5000? Either way, they don't just take unlimited applications and they CERTAINLY wouldn't accept 70,000 as MrBeardy suggested. I'll try and dig up where I read that they have a hard cap, I think it was in the AMA with the ticketing people on Reddit.

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:13 pm

They opened the door for LI tickets in March and just closed it recently. I'd like to know how many applications they received out of curiosity. Once they closed, I'm thinking, is when they started going through them. It wouldn't seem fair to start giving tickets until they've seen all of the application first.

Still sending my wish out into the universe! :D
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:59 pm

It's possible they knew they'd only take a specific number of applications and were able to start work knowing roughly what proportion they should be accepting. For instance if the limit they were going to accept was 8000 applications they would have known that they would be accepting about one in two so they would have been able to start work processing knowing that.

CyanEssence
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Post by CyanEssence » Fri May 01, 2015 6:56 pm

maryanimal wrote:I'm doing the same CyanEssence. I need to get my carport at Costco. They have them here for $228.00. We'll celebrate when we both get our tickets!
Carports are rad. I always rideshare from SF, so I camp very minimalist: tent, cooler, backpack, sleeping bag, and bag of outfits. Maybe after grad school I'll be able to upgrade my campsite gear.

I will definitely be doing a jig, wherever I am, if and when I get awarded an LIT.

One thing that bums me out is that I can't update my LIT application. About a week or two after I sent it in, I got invited to work on a build team at NIMBY, that probably would have looked good on the app (obviously not why I am helping cut, weld, etc. but surely would help with getting awarded an LIT...). Regardless, my weekends are way more interesting now, and it will be great to help make this project happen whether I see it on the playa in person or not.

Dogma
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Dogma » Fri May 01, 2015 7:17 pm

BM Organization awarded me with the me with a low income ticket. I can't be more happy and greatful to have the chance to be back at home and for the first time show with the help of my camp mates a modest but very heartfull art proyect to the community.
Cheers from México City.

CyanEssence

Post by CyanEssence » Fri May 01, 2015 7:26 pm

Congrats Dogma! I am always impressed when people make it to the burn from an international location.

Care to tell us more about the art project?

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Mon May 04, 2015 5:30 pm

Yay Dogma! congratulations! Woohoo! I haven't heard anything yet, but my fingers are still crossed!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

CyanEssence

Post by CyanEssence » Thu May 07, 2015 1:14 pm

Today marks week 9 since I sent in my LIT application. They must be really overloaded down at ticketing. I do not envy them.

Am I correct in assuming that we will be notified even if we are not awarded an LIT?

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Thu May 07, 2015 1:18 pm

CyanEssence wrote:Today marks week 9 since I sent in my LIT application. They must be really overloaded down at ticketing. I do not envy them.

Am I correct in assuming that we will be notified even if we are not awarded an LIT?
Same here CE. I'm about ready to give up. They're supposed to send a letter either way. :(

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu May 07, 2015 2:01 pm

maryanimal wrote:
CyanEssence wrote:Today marks week 9 since I sent in my LIT application. They must be really overloaded down at ticketing. I do not envy them.

Same here CE. I'm about ready to give up. They're supposed to send a letter either way. :(
Well that's good. At least you won't be left hanging in the lurch.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

MyPlayaUserName
Camp Name: Ass Stamp Camp

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Fri May 08, 2015 10:48 pm

After an arduous wait, I've been awarded a low income ticket! Gratitude barely covers it. So much excitement, so much to plan! I am so so so excited the portal will open yet again. I applies about 2 hrs 45 mins after the application was released, and only just got word, so be patient my dust-loving friends--your answers are coming.

CyanEssence

Post by CyanEssence » Sat May 09, 2015 8:43 am

That's great news MPUN! Thanks for the note about getting your LIT in about 2hrs 45min after it opened. I have been curious about how they decide to go thru the pile of applications, where to start, who to notify first, etc. I got my application in about 1 hr 30min after it opened, and haven't heard back yet.

I'll check with my friend in defaultia about when they sent theirs in.

Again, congratulations!

MyPlayaUserName

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Sat May 09, 2015 11:02 pm

A friend of mine applied about an hour after the application opened, and was notified she did NOT receive a low income ticket back on the 21st. They must really have had a HUGE number of applicants this year. I'd love more insight into how the behind-the-scenes of the selection process works too, but for now, I am happy to bask in the bliss of being awarded a ticket at all, and not ask too many questions.

I know how difficult it has been for many of us not knowing either way. 3 weeks of checking e-mail like a child going downstairs on Christmas morning to see what Santa has left him only to find that Santa STILL hasn't made it over. Never look a gift horse (which is what, exactly?) in the mouth but hurry up Santa!!!!

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sat May 09, 2015 11:29 pm

So...Back when horses were commonly used for work if someone gifted you a horse it was rude to look at the horses mouth because it would be judging the gift in the presence of the gift giver and possibly wishing the gift were of more value. Looking at a horses teeth can tell you the age of the animal and from that you can ascertain what kind of performance you might be able to expect from it.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

MyPlayaUserName

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Mon May 11, 2015 12:10 pm

That actually makes complete sense, thank you!

CyanEssence

Post by CyanEssence » Mon May 11, 2015 7:18 pm

Alright, my friend got back to me about when he and a friend applied/got notified (LIT).

Friend in SF - sent in application less than 1.5hr after it opened = no response yet

Me - sent in application about 1.5hr after it opened = no response yet

Friend in Sac - sent in application about 2hr after it opened = confirmed on the 24th of April

That seems to rule out the idea of them responding in the order they received them.

This also seems to add credence to the idea that when I experience anxiety/anticipation related to something over which I have zero control, I seek to more fully understand it.

aardvark
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sin City

Post by aardvark » Tue May 12, 2015 12:45 pm

Huh, this is all really interesting to read, because I've been going crazy trying to figure out the order that they reviewed the applications.

My one friend submitted his ~5 hours after applications opened and got notification on April 21. Two of my campmates submitted theirs also ~5 hours after applications opened and heard back the 21/22. A friend who submitted his about 1 hour after applications opened heard back around April 27. I submitted mine within 0.5 hours of applications opening and heard back on May 1. I thought I had figured out that they were going in reverse order, but I guess not since people here still have not yet heard.

I am so curious about this process!
Dr. Aardvark von Hermit Crab, PhD
"Ten billion termites in this world, and I'm having trouble with just one." - Unknown

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Tue May 12, 2015 8:28 pm

I still haven't heard from them. I sent them an application about 5 days after a puter glitch... :?

CyanEssence

Post by CyanEssence » Fri May 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Yesterday marked week ten since I sent in my LIT application.

Is anyone else still waiting for a response one way or the other?

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Fri May 15, 2015 1:45 pm

Yep. Lots of folks.

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Fri May 15, 2015 5:39 pm

I emailed them and they told me to call back in two weeks. Theyre very busy with all the applications.

Return to “2015 Tickets Discussion”