Tickets Cancelled!!! WTF

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
swingjump
Burning Since: 2012

Tickets Cancelled!!! WTF

Post by swingjump » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:55 pm

So today I received an email saying my BM tickets were being cancelled because I had ordered too many!!! This is the email:

"We are writing to let you know that in reviewing our sales records it was discovered that you have exceeded the maximum number of tickets allowable as outlined in section 20 of the Terms and Conditions to which you agreed during your purchase: Section 20 states "An individual may purchase no more than the maximum number of two (2) tickets at the $390 price, and any attempts to purchase more than the maximum number may result in all ticket sales to that individual being canceled." This was also stated on screen during the purchase process. As a show of good faith, we are allowing you to keep one order. Order number XXXXX, for which you selected Will Call delivery, will not be canceled. "

First response... WTF! So after some investigation, here's the reality. I purchased tickets for my partner and myself. My sister in the UK purchased tickets for herself and a friend. Total 4 tickets for 4 people. It turns out that the cancelled tickets are my sisters. Clearly the claim made by BM is compete crap and I haven't received any real explanation as to why the tickets are being cancelled. So for those who don't yet have tickets we have just found something more frustrating... getting tickets and then having them taken away for no valid reason.

The only connection between between the purchases is the credit card being used. Now I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure how I use my CC is not of BM's business and definitely not a reason to cancel tickets. The only feedback from BM I have received just makes the same claim again with absolutely no basis. As my sister now has no tickets to BM their claim of 'too many tickets' is absolute BS.

While I appreciate the efforts to deal with scalpers this approach is insane. I have to admit I'm at a loss as to why this is so difficult as there are plenty of large event around the planet that don't have these ticketing issues (eg. Glastonbury).

I would be interested to hear who else has had unfounded ticket cancellations.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Tickets Cancelled!!! WTF

Post by lucky420 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:20 pm

unless you purchased presale tix you can only purchase 2 tickets per credit card. Yes it's your card but BM's party...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:24 pm

The only connection between between the purchases is the credit card being used. Now I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure how I use my CC is not of BM's business and definitely not a reason to cancel tickets.
Wait, wait. You don't see where this rational of yours is straight up fucked? The terms of purchase are set so as to discourage people from doing exactly what you tried (and failed) to do. Namely, attempt to purchase more than the maximum amount of tickets using your credit card.

And you're right. It's a good thing you aren't a lawyer because Judge Judy would be building a judicial nest up your ass for trying to game the system.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:33 pm

Yep, you tried to buy 4 tickets with 1 credit card. The BORG can't possibly know that you're not trying to game the system. I'd say you're lucky they didn't cancel ALL 4 tickets.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Sis better get on STEP ticket list ASAP and try for tickets there. The instructions did say that the name on the credit card needs to match the name on the order and that a person's credit card could only be used for 1 order. Bummer, but both of you should take it as a bittersweet lesson in reading the instructions carefully and the 10 Principles (Radical Self-Reliance). STEP tickets work for a lot of people so don't panic.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:44 pm

One card, one ticket order of two tickets. No more. This is not secret information, nor should it have been a surprise.

From the ticket info on the main site:

With the exception of the Pre-Sale, buying a ticket in a sale precludes you from buying tickets in a later sale—only one order per person is allowed.

The name on the credit card used to purchase is the name on the ticket order.

Your sister should not have used your card for her order. Not her fault, but it was a violation of the written rule.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:49 pm

It sounds as if a valid reason has been explained. Regardless, the place to direct your ticket support questions and concerns is ticketsupport@burningman.com.

Return to “2015 Tickets Discussion”