"Tickets Wanted" requests and my reaction to it

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

"Tickets Wanted" requests and my reaction to it

Post by Dr Helix » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:59 pm

I don't think there's a day that goes by that I don't look at the "Tickets Wanted" category. And it seems to me that not all, but many of these requesters send some sort of heart rending tale as to why they should be considered for a ticket. I've seen cancer, death, heartache, and marriage as just a few of the preambles before they get down to the bottom line; sell me a/your ticket and all will be well. And I find myself feeling their pain and wanting to help. But.......I think to myself "I'm not giving them MY ticket." And I feel sorta bad about that. But not too bad. Is this asshat behavior? Or am I just doing the classic "You can help this child.....or you can turn the page" dismissal?
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: "Tickets Wanted" requests and my reaction to it

Post by Elderberry » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:11 pm

I don't think so. There are some that sound sincere and I hope they do get a ticket. I don't necessarily feel I am under any obligation to help. But if I was, or did have a ticket, I'd definitely either give it first, to a member of our camp that needed one, second to a person I know from eplaya that I knew and liked and needed one, and third to the best, most heart wrenching post in the tickets thread.

Someone that just posted up in that thread for their first post, and never bothered to post further on the board wouldn't stand a chance. And I don't feel any guilt or remorse. If I had a lot of money, I'd probably help them all if I could.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:12 pm

If you're feeling particularly sobby, give a dollar to UNICEF.

None of life's ills will be solved by donating your ticket to someone else.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:47 pm

I read them all as well and generally come to the same conclusion each and every time: It sure must suck to be you.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:11 pm

The same response I give whenever someone ask too much of me.

"I'm good...............but not THAT good!!!!!!!!!!"
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:16 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to Tickets Discussion, since I think that's a better fit.

It's an unfortunate by-product of scarcity. We only allow the sale of tickets for a fixed price, with no additional enticements, and so people will tend to craft a plea that makes them seem more worthy or deserving of a ticket than the other ticket-seekers. It's only natural to feel a tug on your heart-strings, when the authors are very specifically trying to tug on your heart strings.

I wouldn't say it's asshat behavior at all. If you're planning to go, then you make sure your own ticket needs are met and then any others you may have or come across you can try and help direct to someone you feel would be the best fit.

After years of reading most of the ticket thread posts as well as what gets pulled, I'm less likely to be moved by a well-crafted tear-jerker post from someone who isn't participating in the community, and more likely to be moved by someone that's demonstrated a commitment to participation or preparation. You can tell those apart immediately - peek at the post count, and then click the user's name and look at their post history.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:21 pm

Dr Helix wrote:I don't think there's a day that goes by that I don't look at the "Tickets Wanted" category. And it seems to me that not all, but many of these requesters send some sort of heart rending tale as to why they should be considered for a ticket. I've seen cancer, death, heartache, and marriage as just a few of the preambles before they get down to the bottom line; sell me a/your ticket and all will be well. And I find myself feeling their pain and wanting to help. But.......I think to myself "I'm not giving them MY ticket." And I feel sorta bad about that. But not too bad. Is this asshat behavior?
No. :)

Any spare is yours to allocate as you see fit.

Like Trilobyte, I would be more excited to sell to someone who was ready & participatory than to someone who was simply trying to move me with a story I can probably never verify.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:22 pm

If I had a ticket for sale, you know what I'd want to hear?
"I have the cash and I'll meet you wherever you like and pick it up".
Everyone wants tickets just as bad as everyone else. I don't need the fluff. The bigger the sob story about how a Burning Man ticket will completely turn a horrible life around, the less interested I am.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:28 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:If I had a ticket for sale, you know what I'd want to hear?
"I have the cash and I'll meet you wherever you like and pick it up".
Everyone wants tickets just as bad as everyone else. I don't need the fluff. The bigger the sob story about how a Burning Man ticket will completely turn a horrible life around, the less interested I am.
And almost everyone has had great pain and frustration or hit some awful dead end in their lives. Some can talk about it, some won't. No one should have to trot it out in some gruesome competition.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Dr Helix
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:37 pm

trilobyte wrote:I'm giving this a nudge over to Tickets Discussion, since I think that's a better fit.

It's an unfortunate by-product of scarcity. We only allow the sale of tickets for a fixed price, with no additional enticements, and so people will tend to craft a plea that makes them seem more worthy or deserving of a ticket than the other ticket-seekers. It's only natural to feel a tug on your heart-strings, when the authors are very specifically trying to tug on your heart strings.

I wouldn't say it's asshat behavior at all. If you're planning to go, then you make sure your own ticket needs are met and then any others you may have or come across you can try and help direct to someone you feel would be the best fit.

After years of reading most of the ticket thread posts as well as what gets pulled, I'm less likely to be moved by a well-crafted tear-jerker post from someone who isn't participating in the community, and more likely to be moved by someone that's demonstrated a commitment to participation or preparation. You can tell those apart immediately - peek at the post count, and then click the user's name and look at their post history.
That's funny Trib, as that was where I orginally thought I would place it. Thanks for finding the proper spot.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:15 pm

I'm not sure I'd ever recommend Burning Man to someone already going through a rough time. It's more of a place to go when you feel strong, and then you find out in what ways you still aren't.

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:32 pm

Many of the posts this year don't mention payment, though it is implied. Almost like it is a given that they will pay, as compared to the past when no mention of paying meant they wanted to manifest a ticket for free. I wonder if the days of asking for a free ticket here have passed?
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:45 pm

I agree mostly with Elderberry on this. The only exception is that I have friends that are not part of my camp that are seeking tickets and if I had one I would offer it to them first. One hasn't been to the playa in a few years and is looking to take a memorial to the temple (same as me), and another friend that missed last year due to work issues.

I am keeping my ears and eyes open for a ticket for a certain eplayan that I really want to see go. I wish I had 20 tickets to sell/give to friends/campmates/eplayans. But even then, it wouldn't be enough.

My order of priority:

the two friends, campmates, certain eplayan.

oh. I rarely read the "wanted" I don't have any tickets to offer, and it makes me sad to see all the people on that list.
In dust we trust.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:59 pm

and cue "Laughing Forest"..............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:14 pm

And almost everyone has had great pain and frustration or hit some awful dead end in their lives. Some can talk about it, some won't. No one should have to trot it out in some gruesome competition.
Wait a minute..I remember 'Queen for a Day' on TV. They marched their pathetic stories past a nation wide audience for a washer, drier and of course a crown and bouquet of roses. It was great. Everyone watching felt smart, rich and pretty. Yes, I read the ticket wanted thread every day. Guilty pleasure? You betcha.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

louisacrystal
Burning Since: 2000

Post by louisacrystal » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:45 am

“If cabin pressure should change, panels above your seat will open revealing oxygen masks; reach up and pull a mask towards you. Place it over your nose and mouth, and secure with the elastic band, that can be adjusted to ensure a snug fit. The plastic bag will not fully inflate, although oxygen is flowing. Secure your own mask first before helping others“
I have gone out to find myself. If I get back before I return, Please keep me here until I get back. Thank you!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Secure your own mask first before helping others“
Now THAT is funny. Thanks for the chuckle.

jneilvindy
Burning Since: 2014

Post by jneilvindy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:15 pm

I look at it like do I really want broken-hearted bob or sad sack sally there at burning man with their bagload of misery, pain and suffering?

My luck I'd sell an extra ticket to some sob story and then they'd go and toss themselves into a fire or under an art car and then I'd feel bad for the perimeter security, art car driver ect.

Or I choose say a super perky Ratty?

easy choice if ya ask me!

Raoul
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Honest MiSteak

Post by Raoul » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:13 pm

I have a hard time with the notion that a personal hardship makes one person more entitled to a ticket than the next person. What about someone who has wanted to attend for years but hasn't been able to for whatever run-of-the-mill reason...job, kids, whatever? What about someone who finally has enough set aside after saving for years so that s/he can attend without being financially irresponsible in other aspects of life? What about the veteran Burner of X years who just had an epiphany to build a kick-ass thingamajig to give to the community? Seems like any of these people would be just as deserving for any number of reasons.

Besides, there are some really good storytellers out there, and I would hate to think I had the wool pulled over my eyes, regardless of whether it's a "heart-string" case or not. Who knows...maybe that sad story is really karma coming to exact its toll. If I had an extra ticket, I would be much more inclined to give/sell it to someone I know, even indirectly, than to someone behind a random post. I'm all for random acts of kindness, but probably not with such a scarce resource and so many truly deserving people out there, no matter how one defines "deserving."
"No problem is ever solved in the same consciousness that was used to create it." --Albert Einstein

Honest MiSteak: 2018
Hookah Lounge\Black Rock Power Co-op: 2014 - 2017

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:54 pm

Is it too early to start begging for a 2016 ticket?
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:10 pm

Heck yes it gets old. I look em over, but have to admit after years of doing this I do not give it a second thought really. Rarely one well written one will pique my interest and ill fully read it. I used to throw up a "Best of the worst deals or begging" type of thread, but it got too off the wall to do anymore. I might start a best sob story or moochers thread and see how that goes.

Once in a while though I actually wonder if a story is legit.

MDMF
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:20 pm

I like the one where would have offered to sacrifice her first born if she had one. Bri's post last year was classic. One of those would get any extra ticket before a sob story. Of course, Ratty or another eplayan comes before any random stranger!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

digital
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:47 pm

I keep wanting to respond, "It will be better next year!"

No, really. It will be better. There's no rush. I prepped for years before actually going.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:52 pm

Thanks Pink. I read all of those threads and I feel a tiny pang of compassion for the ticketless. I want a ticket. They want one too. I can't dredge up anything for the people that haven't been there before. But, my heart goes out to those that fell in love with THITD. They count on it being their special vacation. At this point they have 6 months tied up in planning and prep. Plus X amount of dollars spent on 'stuff'. It's disappointing, to say the least, if you don't get to go.

Think back to your first year. Would you have been devastated if your plans fell through. Have you chosen to go every year since? Will you try to go every year as long as the event is fun for you? What did you really contribute your first year? Or in 2014 for that matter. And why aren't there a bunch of eplyans that didn't get tickets? I don't recognize anyone in those ticket wanted listings. (I guess this is a good thing. I have a lot of friends here and they all have tickets.) These are the things I think about when I read the begging threads.

Well that, and, "what a putz", "who do you think you're kidding" and " Oh for Gods sake stop making me laugh or I'm going to wet myself".

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:02 am

My first year, I did not know any burners going in, this was something I had simply stumbled on while looking for art projects online. I bought a couple tier one tickets about March or April (memory is hazy, it was right after my oldest brother died). You could still get tickets at the gate. I would not have been let down, I did not know better.

Took more than a few years to begin worrying about tickets, because the event was largely unknown. Now even the old guy in the jacuzzi at the pool knows what camping in the desert over Labor Day means.

I think you do not see eplayans often asking for tickets because many have a presence and have worked for their tickets for years, whether through art projects, theme camps or volunteering. You work your ass off, there are avenues to tickets for that. Not for the newbies though, which is another discussion.

But yes, if I had a spare, I'd take care of friends first, then either eplayans or Hushers over random strangers. I've gifted tickets in the past, but that is not going to happen now.

And if I could not get two tickets, for myself and MyLarry? Of course I would be disappointed, Id miss my friends. We never have thrown our full art project and camp at our regional. We could do that. But even those smaller events sell out now. Ogden has Notquinox, we have never done that full force either. At last resort, I have a vision of setting up by ourselves in the Valley of the Gods, and see who drops by.

Everything works out one way or the other.

TT120
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:36 am

Whatever happened to offering sexual favors for a ticket? I kind of miss those posts.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:01 am

On the instructions to sellers and buyers.
You may not offer enticements for either tickets/passes offered or wanted postings.
I take that to mean no sexual enticements. I miss the promises of exotic tongue dancing, body to body oil massage and aura cleansing.

Darn it! I was married to a Mexican for 10 years. Begging was his form of foreplay. (Baby, baby, Pleeeeease). It seems only right that all this begging should be followed by some form of sex.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:42 pm

It means any and all enticements, even dusty hugs. :shock: Oh dear. :oops:

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:23 pm

TT120 wrote:Whatever happened to offering sexual favors for a ticket? I kind of miss those posts.
There are very few fucks worth an irreplaceable ticket. Though, honestly, I can think of two off the top of my ... um ... head
(well, that and the rules against enticements. Face value + shipping only, yada yada)
Ratty wrote:Darn it! I was married to a Mexican for 10 years. Begging was his form of foreplay.
I've been married to a Mexican for almost 30 years. His foreplay is looking at me with big brown puppy-dog eyes, and smiling slightly. Works like a charm
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:52 pm

Eric! You are so cute.