STEP tickets actually directed to specific people

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
OnFiya
Burning Since: 2003

STEP tickets actually directed to specific people

Post by OnFiya » Mon May 04, 2015 7:38 pm

The STEP is a farce. All the STEP tickets actually get directed to certain people, good friends of BMorgers, their significant others, and people deemed "worthy". Its basically another directed sale. BMorg cronyism.

Eric
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: STEP tickets actually directed to specific people

Post by Eric » Mon May 04, 2015 7:46 pm

"All"?? There is no "all".
You apparently don't understand what STEP is in the slightest - there are no (zero, none, zilch) designated STEP tickets, the only tickets that go into STEP are from Burners who can't attend and put them in there for resale to other Burners (basically it cuts out the weirdness with third-party sales by not having the seller robbed, not having the buyer ripped-off with a fake ticket).

Tickets can only sell as they are added, and you can bet that there are way more people in line than the amount getting added could cover.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Mon May 04, 2015 7:49 pm

OnFiya wrote:All the STEP tickets actually get directed to certain people, good friends of BMorgers, their significant others, and people deemed "worthy".
The bullshit is strong with this one.

OnFiya

Post by OnFiya » Mon May 04, 2015 10:25 pm

Ya, there is an all. All of the tickets released into the STEP are actually directed to certain people. They are not sold to any old person in the so called queue. The queue is a lie just to cover up what actually happens to the tickets.

digital

Post by digital » Mon May 04, 2015 10:33 pm

OnFiya wrote:Ya, there is an all. All of the tickets released into the STEP are actually directed to certain people. They are not sold to any old person in the so called queue. The queue is a lie just to cover up what actually happens to the tickets.
Riiiiggghhhhttttt.... That's how it works.

:roll:

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon May 04, 2015 11:11 pm

Well, I guess I might as well buy that $3,000 on ebay. I'm certainly not an insider with the ORG. Thanks for the heads up, (or where ever your head is), OnFiya.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

watchyourfeet
Burning Since: 2013

Post by watchyourfeet » Tue May 05, 2015 9:13 am

OnFiya wrote:Ya, there is an all. All of the tickets released into the STEP are actually directed to certain people. They are not sold to any old person in the so called queue. The queue is a lie just to cover up what actually happens to the tickets.

Well then, it's good to know my friends who have gotten STEP tickets are actually BMOrg insiders :roll:

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Tue May 05, 2015 9:24 am

I've had friends get tickets from step in the past two years, and none of them are "insiders."

You sound bitter Onfiya. I know it's hard to think you might not make it out to the playa this year when tickets are so scarce, but no need to spread lies and rumors. Step works, in my opinion. Good luck to all the STEP children!!!
In dust we trust.

melodiousdirge
Burning Since: 2011

Post by melodiousdirge » Tue May 05, 2015 9:47 am

Beware teh snarkasm

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue May 05, 2015 9:48 am

STEP does work, but even going by the crazy accusation of only insiders getting tickets using STEP----insiders would not have to go through STEP, they're INSIDERS. :roll:

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Tue May 05, 2015 9:54 am

Sham wrote:STEP does work, but even going by the crazy accusation of only insiders getting tickets using STEP----insiders would not have to go through STEP, they're INSIDERS. :roll:
I don't know that it's a crazy accusation, given some of the anecdotes from last year, but it's certainly pointless and inflammatory.
Beware teh snarkasm

digital

Post by digital » Tue May 05, 2015 10:54 am

melodiousdirge wrote:
Sham wrote:STEP does work, but even going by the crazy accusation of only insiders getting tickets using STEP----insiders would not have to go through STEP, they're INSIDERS. :roll:
I don't know that it's a crazy accusation, given some of the anecdotes from last year, but it's certainly pointless and inflammatory.
Which anecdotes are those? Link?

So far I see nothing more than people making wild accusations with zero proof or first-hand accounts. It's always hearsay or a friend of a friend.

Sorry, but I'm getting tired of people pulling shit out of their asses then selling it as gold.

Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Tue May 05, 2015 12:30 pm

it must be true - it was posted on Eplaya
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Tue May 05, 2015 12:43 pm

digital wrote:I'm getting tired of people pulling shit out of their asses then selling it as gold.
Please provide a link to where I'm selling anything as gold.

If you want an anecdote of someone circumventing the system/using it in a way it wasn't intended; I personally know someone who (more than once) got an early entry pass/directed group sale tickets, who is not part of a theme camp.

The plethora of other anecdotes I've read/heard but have no way to verify abound in sufficient numbers to raise the question about just how much cronyism goes on; however I'm not selling those tales as gold, I'm just saying someone doesn't have to be crazy to suggest the system is being abused.
Beware teh snarkasm

digital

Post by digital » Tue May 05, 2015 1:02 pm

melodiousdirge wrote:Please provide a link to where I'm selling anything as gold.
It is a general statement.
melodiousdirge wrote:If you want an anecdote of someone circumventing the system/using it in a way it wasn't intended; I personally know someone who (more than once) got an early entry pass/directed group sale tickets, who is not part of a theme camp.
This is not the first time I've seen you post this anecdote. I'm curious, what was the Org's response when you reported this person for abusing the system? You did report them, right? Because if you know of someone abusing the system and do nothing, yet complain about it multiple times online, you are part of the problem.

Also, circumventing the system != intentional distribution of tickets by the Org to insiders. Two totally different subjects.

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Tue May 05, 2015 1:35 pm

digital wrote:This is not the first time I've seen you post this anecdote.
I'm so glad you pay attention!
digital wrote:I'm curious, what was the Org's response when you reported this person for abusing the system? You did report them, right?
Fuck off, obviously I didn't/won't report them.
digital wrote:Because if you know of someone abusing the system and do nothing, yet complain about it multiple times online, you are part of the problem.
Actually, I'm not complaining about it. This fellow if a long time burner who brings a great deal to the party and I'm quite glad he got tickets by whatever means he could. IMO the BORG making decisions about who gets priority and who doesn't is a bunch of crap, so I'm tickled pink that their best efforts to dictate who gets to attend are not 100% successful, and I'm not about to help them enforce the policy. The point of mentioning it was to illustrate that BORG systems are easily circumvented, and the odds are if I happen to know someone doing it, there are likely a whole lot of people doing it.
digital wrote:Also, circumventing the system != intentional distribution of tickets by the Org to insiders. Two totally different subjects.
Uh well we could get all pedantic and discuss whether or not the two topics are related. Given that in order to intentionally distribute tickets to cronies, insiders would have to CIRCUMVENT THE SYSTEM, I'd say they are related, but you seem to have (somehow) totally missed the point I was trying to make. Since italics AND bold lettering don't seem to have garnered your attention, let me be as clear as I know how:
  • Please note my initial response labeling the OP a troll - clearly I do not agree with his statements.
  • Please also note that I have not accused the BORG of directing tickets to insiders, what I did say is that many others have shared anecdotes suggesting that they do.
  • I have not re-posted links to anecdotes because I do not like spreading stories I can't vouch for. You seem to be familiar with these anecdotes based on your "I'm tired of..." bitching however.
  • All I fucking said is that it's not a completely CRAZY ACCUSATION, as Sham suggested.
Now, I think it's safe to say this horse is not only dead, but rotting in the sun. Can we argue about something useful?
Beware teh snarkasm

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue May 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Not quite yet. I get early entry and I camp alone. All you have to do is work your ass off for one of 100 depts. BTW if you search my posts you'll see me state repeatedly that I got a ticket through STEP last year and plan to get one again this year. OK. Now you can close the grave.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue May 05, 2015 4:19 pm

I like cheese.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Eric
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue May 05, 2015 4:26 pm

digital wrote:
melodiousdirge wrote:If you want an anecdote of someone circumventing the system/using it in a way it wasn't intended; I personally know someone who (more than once) got an early entry pass/directed group sale tickets, who is not part of a theme camp.
This is not the first time I've seen you post this anecdote. I'm curious, what was the Org's response when you reported this person for abusing the system? You did report them, right? Because if you know of someone abusing the system and do nothing, yet complain about it multiple times online, you are part of the problem.
I can give you hard data that there has been some issues in the past: the Org has cracked down on how many EAs are given out, they are tied directly to camps, and any attempts to circumvent the process can cost an entire camp it's ALL of it's current EAs, plus endanger future placement. This isn't ticketing, but the Org watches data a lot more carefully than people think, and if they see a problem happening with them I can see cracking down in the future. As it is you're tied to your camp when you buy DD tickets, if a camp is buying excess tickets they know.

I also agree that if you know of someone abusing the system, report them. Every single person who doesn't have a ticket is getting screwed over by this person/ camp, why protect them?
digital wrote:Also, circumventing the system != intentional distribution of tickets by the Org to insiders. Two totally different subjects.
Truth.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

digital

Post by digital » Tue May 05, 2015 4:46 pm

Actually, I'm not complaining about it. This fellow if a long time burner who brings a great deal to the party and I'm quite glad he got tickets by whatever means he could. IMO the BORG making decisions about who gets priority and who doesn't is a bunch of crap, so I'm tickled pink that their best efforts to dictate who gets to attend are not 100% successful, and I'm not about to help them enforce the policy. The point of mentioning it was to illustrate that BORG systems are easily circumvented, and the odds are if I happen to know someone doing it, there are likely a whole lot of people doing it.
  • On May 5th, you said:
    This fellow if a long time burner who brings a great deal to the party and I'm quite glad he got tickets by whatever means he could.
  • On March 16th, you said:
    I know people who got tickets in the DGS who are NOT part of a theme camp and do NOT build or contribute anything more special than themselves to the event.
So which is it? Did this friend bring something to the table or not? Or does the story change to support whichever argument you're trying to make?

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:20 pm

I like cheese on a cracker.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:41 pm

WTF?

this makes little sense - would it not be easier for BMORG to simply sell the tickets to whom they wanted to begin with? there is no need for a pretend system to cause drama.

Trolls blow.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

smiffman
Burning Since: 2014

Post by smiffman » Wed May 06, 2015 6:31 am

Queso Es Bueno!

I was awarded STEP last year also, waited till STEP was almost closed then BOOM! Tickets.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Wed May 06, 2015 12:25 pm

Some people like pickles. But they hate cucumbers.

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Wed May 06, 2015 12:48 pm

gad damn it, he wasn't suppose to tell anyone until AFTER all the hookers were ticketed.

I like pickles AND cucumbers
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:24 pm

i love my kids
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed May 06, 2015 1:36 pm

Chicken is delicious
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Wed May 06, 2015 3:03 pm

I like cheese quesadillys. I love cucumbers and pickles. I adore hot fudge sundaes. Wait...what?
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Wed May 06, 2015 3:20 pm

You seriously still want to argue about this, even though you're still missing my point completely? I think I'll go back to "Obvious troll is obvious".
Beware teh snarkasm

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Wed May 06, 2015 3:23 pm

digital wrote:So which is it? Did this friend bring something to the table or not? Or does the story change to support whichever argument you're trying to make?
He does not bring anything more special than himself. This does not meet the requirements for DGS or EA.
I am quite happy that he is able to bring himself; himself is quite good enough for me.

Now go troll someone else.
Beware teh snarkasm

Return to “2015 Tickets Discussion”