OMG tickets

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Warbaby Fox
Burning Since: 2016

OMG tickets

Post by Warbaby Fox » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:00 pm

I think I'm gonna go this year instead of next year. However, I don't have a ticket yet. Luckily they're going to open up ticket sales again through OMG tickets. Are these typically hard to snatch up. It says there will only be 1000 for sale, and I figure if I'm able to purchase right as the window opens, I should be able to buy a ticket. Anybody ever buy through the OMG sales?

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Re: OMG tickets

Post by digital » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:17 pm

It will be like winning the lottery. Well, almost. Demand will likely *FAR* exceed supply.

BTW, there will be more than 1000 since voided tickets go into the pool.

Good luck!

Warbaby Fox

Post by Warbaby Fox » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:23 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Whose ever got the fastest internet wins that day lol.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:26 pm

Sort of what digital said. Most tickets from voided and canceled sales are actually fed directly into STEP (getting them into the community's hands in a more timely fashion), but there were a couple hundred ticket order that were voided after it was determined that they were purchased using an exploit in the system. As per a blog post earlier this year, those tickets were going to be put back into the OMG sale.

Demand is always high (go figure, as people see and hear about all the amazing stuff people are planning to bring to the desert, more people become interested in the event), so pay attention to dates and time zone differences (if you're in another part of the world) and hopefully you'll get through.

digital

Post by digital » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:31 pm

trilobyte wrote:Sort of what digital said. Most tickets from voided and canceled sales are actually fed directly into STEP (getting them into the community's hands in a more timely fashion), but there were a couple hundred ticket order that were voided after it was determined that they were purchased using an exploit in the system. As per a blog post earlier this year, those tickets were going to be put back into the OMG sale.
That's right. Thank you. The 'hack' tickets stuck in my head.

One other suggestion to anyone trying for this sale: Be sure to sync your computer clock to NIST time. This is the source of most sysadmins' server time. Here's a list of those servers. Most likely they are:
time-a.nist.gov
time-b.nist.gov
time-c.nist.gov

[Edit: With the thought that the server will release tickets at exactly 12:00 noon PST August 5th.]
Last edited by digital on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warbaby Fox

Post by Warbaby Fox » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Never thought to do that. Wouldn't even know how

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:19 pm

digital wrote:
trilobyte wrote:Sort of what digital said. Most tickets from voided and canceled sales are actually fed directly into STEP (getting them into the community's hands in a more timely fashion), but there were a couple hundred ticket order that were voided after it was determined that they were purchased using an exploit in the system. As per a blog post earlier this year, those tickets were going to be put back into the OMG sale.
That's right. Thank you. The 'hack' tickets stuck in my head.

One other suggestion to anyone trying for this sale: Be sure to sync your computer clock to NIST time. This is the source of most sysadmins' server time. Here's a list of those servers. Most likely they are:
time-a.nist.gov
time-b.nist.gov
time-c.nist.gov

[Edit: With the thought that the server will release tickets at exactly 12:00 noon PST August 5th.]
Hahaha...WTF does this mean? Consider who you're dealing with here, in large part...signed: Computer Illiterate.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

digital

Post by digital » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:11 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
digital wrote:One other suggestion to anyone trying for this sale: Be sure to sync your computer clock to NIST time. This is the source of most sysadmins' server time. Here's a list of those servers. Most likely they are:
time-a.nist.gov
time-b.nist.gov
time-c.nist.gov

Hahaha...WTF does this mean? Consider who you're dealing with here, in large part...signed: Computer Illiterate.
lol, sorry.

Many of you already have this with newer operating systems. If not, you can go into your "Date & Time" settings for "Internet Time" to add the above NIST time servers. The thought being if Ticketfly sets the release time to 12:00:00 PST hitting refresh on the browser at the exact second could get you in. (This in an ideal world where Ticketfly's system is set correctly. Looking at the general sale this might not be the case. However, if I needed a ticket in the OMG sale I would do anything I can to be one step ahead -- without cheating.)

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm

I've been getting good syncs with the free wifi I get with my coffee at Bob's Fix-It-All Garage.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

kiss-o-matic
Burning Since: 2012

Post by kiss-o-matic » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:07 am

The FAQ says these are fully transferable. Are they still handled by Ticket Fly? They're transferable electronically from one Burner Profile to another?

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:50 pm

Was the "exploit in the system" the one where the ticket form page URL was exposed in the source code of the ticket landing page? Ha. Lamest exploit ever, and, in my opinion, not even close to "hacking." Those tickets should have remained valid.

digital

Post by digital » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:00 pm

vargaso wrote:
Was the "exploit in the system" the one where the ticket form page URL was exposed in the source code of the ticket landing page? Ha. Lamest exploit ever, and, in my opinion, not even close to "hacking." Those tickets should have remained valid.
No, not hacking, but neither is arriving before gate opens and being pushed to the back of the line in D-lot. The Org said those tickets are no longer valid -- so the tickets are no longer valid. It's their party and they can do what they like without our opinion.

vargaso

Post by vargaso » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:02 pm

digital wrote:
vargaso wrote:
No, not hacking, but neither is arriving before gate opens and being pushed to the back of the line in D-lot. The Org said those tickets are no longer valid -- so the tickets are no longer valid. It's their party and they can do what they like without our opinion.
Yes sir, sorry sir. Won't happen again. To the back of the line? No pudding?

I must quibble with your early entry analogy, in that physically entering the event before the gates open can cause logistical and safety issues, which is why the gate is fairly secure. Whereas virtually entering the ticket queue before the official opening by simply hitting "View source" and espying the ol' super secret URL right there, and hence copying and pasting it into your browser, is effectively no different than having multiple browser windows open while constantly hitting Enter. Talk about doing! Those guys were doers. They did not compromise the system or hack into it. In my opinion. And jeez, exposing the URL in the source code? That's some rookie shit.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:21 pm

Kiss-o-matic, you would follow the normal procedures to transfer a will call ticket. See the information posted in the announcements on this thread, or the ticket support site linked in my signature.

Speaking personally, hack or no they were going well out of their way to virtually cut in front of thousands of other people. Sounds like an exploit in my book, I have no sympathy for those whose sales were canceled as a result.

vargaso

Post by vargaso » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:33 pm

trilobyte wrote:Kiss-o-matic, you would follow the normal procedures to transfer a will call ticket. See the information posted in the announcements on this thread, or the ticket support site linked in my signature.

Speaking personally, hack or no they were going well out of their way to virtually cut in front of thousands of other people. Sounds like an exploit in my book, I have no sympathy for those whose sales were canceled as a result.
I don't mean to veer off topic and beat a dead horse (I usually beat dead horses on topic), but do you think it's any different than the more tech savvy people virtually cutting ahead of the less tech savvy by having multiple browser windows open? Or maybe those with multiple computers coming at it from different IP addresses? I really don't see a difference.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:33 pm

Multiple browser windows open hasn't really been an effective angle of attack in years (the queue position would most likely be pushed back to the most recent of the windows opened, that's been fairly standard for a few years now). As for playing IP games, yeah that's a jerky move too, I'd have no sympathy for any of those who would have been discovered and had sales canceled.

kiss-o-matic
Burning Since: 2012

Post by kiss-o-matic » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:15 am

trilobyte wrote:Kiss-o-matic, you would follow the normal procedures to transfer a will call ticket. See the information posted in the announcements on this thread, or the ticket support site linked in my signature.
Super late to this, but thanks.

Return to “2015 Tickets Discussion”