With kind permission from the Burning Man ticket team, I'd like to share with you some details on the plans to improve the will call wait times and overall box office experience at this year's event.
- A brand new box office with 19 windows at maximum operations!
- Largest shade ever built by DPW - 60'x72' to cover an awesome efficiently designed queue that can hold 440 people in the shade.
- The ability to quickly expand that queue on demand to accommodate another 220 people. They won't be under shade, but it'll be orderly.
- At the slowest possible anticipated processing rate, they expect to be able to clear the queue in 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- They'll be implementing up to 6 "mobile box office" units (for processing straight will call pickups) to help lines move even faster during peak times, and effectively taking the box office from 19 to 25 'windows' during those peak periods.
- An amazing 'front of house' team to help expedite and guide folks in the queue. Lolligagging in line is a major time suck, this team will help keep things moving and make sure people are prepared when they get to the window.
- More flexible operations so they can tailor their window functions in real-time to address highest demand.
- They have doubled the size of the box office crew. There are some great new recruits on board.
As in previous years, you do not need to worry about which gate lane you are in if you have a passenger who needs to go to the box office. As you approach the gates, a member of staff will check to see if you need to go to the box office and will safely direct your vehicle to the box office parking lot. Keep all your passengers together - don't send someone ahead or leave someone behind on foot.
Drivers, make sure that all your vehicle's passengers either have physical ticket in hand, or have copies of their order info and a valid ID for will call orders. Make sure you have your vehicle pass (more info on vehicle passes can be found here), or have a copy of the order info so that it can be picked up at the box office. Low Income Ticket recipients should have a copy of the email they received from the LIT folks, as well as valid ID and their ticket money. Check for this before you leave your point of origin, and make sure everyone has that handy before you get to the gates. Remember, if any person in the vehicle does not have a valid ticket, the entire vehicle will be turned around.
The Burning Man Box Office opens at noon on Monday August 24th for participants with valid early arrivals, and the box office will remain open 24/7 until the day of the man burn.
In order to arrive at Burning Man before the gates open at 10AM on Sunday August 30th, all passengers of your vehicle must have an early arrivals pass that is valid for that date (in addition to tickets and vehicle pass). Early arrivals passes are unique single-use bar codes assigned to that project, and are clearly marked with an arrivals date. Remember, early arrivals passes are not transferable between projects, and may not be bought, sold, bartered, traded, or gifted. For camps, every person who receives an early arrival pass from a camp or project is expected to camp within the borders of that camp.
The Burning Man gates open at 10AM on Sunday August 30th.