Those in need of a VP who entered VP only OMG sale

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
MrBeardy
Burning Since: 2011

Those in need of a VP who entered VP only OMG sale

Post by MrBeardy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:50 pm

Despite what the sites, blogs and such said, I still show the option to purchase a VP, so it may be worthwhile to log in and check yours. not sure if something buggy is happening as earlier it said no VPs available, but just tried again and got through al the way to the purchase page. I have a friend that just offered me theirs prior to the sale starting so I don't need one anymore so I didnt buy it, but it certainly seems strange. Worth a try at least.

Sham

Re: Those in need of a VP who entered VP only OMG sale

Post by Sham » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:52 pm

YES, as of this posting, anyone who pre-registered for the OMG sale can still buy a Vehicle Pass. No lines, no waiting. :D

MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:54 pm

Excellent! Happy VP buying to all!

Melonblue
Burning Since: 2015

Post by Melonblue » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Holy smokes that's great news!!!!
Get on it happy burners!

danibel
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Post by danibel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:22 pm

I just bought two VS's from my open link from the Pre-sale registration. Felt kind of weird, but I am so glad that my campmates won't be walking in from Empire.
In dust we trust.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:35 pm

If you actually go to purchase it, it states no more ticket available.
We break to remind us how to mend.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:37 pm

Nice. That ought to make the price of VP's drop fast on those ticket sites.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

danibel

Post by danibel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:41 pm

Mine didn't. I completed my sale and got a confirmation number.
In dust we trust.

Theraplst
Camp Name: Camp Hotel Rug

Post by Theraplst » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:57 pm

I'm unable to use my OMG code to get into the sale! so bummed! Earlier today (12:20) the sale told me there were no more vehicle passes. sooooo lame!
They call me simba

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:59 pm

My campmate has gotten the "sold out" page after trying several more times. They don't seem to be available now. On behalf of my friend, I am now looking for a VP. He is hauling 1/2 of our camp in......
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:02 pm

it is very weird. it shows VP's available and then it says no tickets available but still has it as an option.

Good luck to you all!
We break to remind us how to mend.

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:05 pm

I have heard that some people see that they are still available and some don't. I can't buy one as I did not pre-register. I have the one I need for my truck, but we need another. Whatever. What good is a ticket in hand if you can't get in.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?

danibel

Post by danibel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:13 pm

After talking to a few of my campmates, I understand that if you purchased a ticket in the main sale, you had a chance to register "just for a VS." If you bought a ticket from a friend, you weren't given a choice since the system didn't know you already had a ticket. It assumed you were trying to get a ticket and a VS.

I agree with this in many ways (though I realize it screws a lot of people that bought an aftermarket ticket), it allowed the people that bought tickets in the main sale a reasonable chance to get a VS. Because as it is well known, what good is a ticket without a VS?!

By doing this the org is taking care of the people that already have tickets, AND were on top of the situation by registering for a much needed VS. It also kept people that hadn't purchased anything (scalpers) from buying up the low cost item and then capitalizing on the market of ticket only holders on CL, Ebay, Ect..
In dust we trust.

Melonblue

Post by Melonblue » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:54 pm

danibel wrote:After talking to a few of my campmates, I understand that if you purchased a ticket in the main sale, you had a chance to register "just for a VS." If you bought a ticket from a friend, you weren't given a choice since the system didn't know you already had a ticket. It assumed you were trying to get a ticket and a VS.
that's weird . I was given a choice.
I clicked on the "just registering for VP" link at registration and then that took me to a radio button survey

"I got my ticket from": "Burning Man" or "a Friend/Someone else"

Bemerritt

Post by Bemerritt » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:05 pm

I can still add one to my cart. Registered for a VP pass only.

danibel

Post by danibel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:25 pm

Melonblue wrote:
danibel wrote:After talking to a few of my campmates, I understand that if you purchased a ticket in the main sale, you had a chance to register "just for a VS." If you bought a ticket from a friend, you weren't given a choice since the system didn't know you already had a ticket. It assumed you were trying to get a ticket and a VS.
that's weird . I was given a choice.
I clicked on the "just registering for VP" link at registration and then that took me to a radio button survey

"I got my ticket from": "Burning Man" or "a Friend/Someone else"
Maybe they were confused. *shrug*
In dust we trust.

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:29 pm

So it is sounding like there is some kind of snafu with the vehicle purchase process.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:04 pm

tamarakay wrote:So it is sounding like there is some kind of snafu with the vehicle purchase process.

That is such a nice, ladylike way to describe the basic failure of this system...again. Are there any IT professionals out there that would like a job? Like, selling tickets?

danibel

Post by danibel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:07 pm

Not sure if it was a snafu - or perhaps the people I spoke to didn't pay much attention to the registration process, and thought they clicked "VS only, please."

I don't know. All I know is that my some miracle they are getting the VSs they need, and my camp needs to get on playa this year.

Jeez this whole thing is struggle. I think next year I am going to Maui.
In dust we trust.

bolamin

Post by bolamin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:57 am

Didn't realize I had to enter a code to get my vehicle passes until too late.
Lots of things were working against me: On iOS devices, with my yahoo mail app, the link with the code embedded wasn't clickable and I couldn't even cut and paste it easily. So I just clicked on the big button not realizing that it didn't have the code embedded, because iOS opens the link in a full screen window that obscures the email. Unless I closed the ticketing window I couldn't see the code anymore.

Also I had emailed ticketfly who said the regular OMG ticket registration and the VP only registration both had access to the same pool of tickets, so I was perturbed by the message (which apparently wasn't accurate) that there were VPs for those who registered VP only. From these threads it sounds like some who were registered non-VP-only got VPs way after the 12:06 ticket sellout.

Finally, they should label the box where you enter the code something other than "Promo Code". I didn't realize that I had failed to enter a code because promo code doesn't give any indication I should be entering the code from my email.

I'm not even going to get into the confusion over the new queue system; although it's probably a good thing it should have been explained beforehand.

Bemerritt

Post by Bemerritt » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:19 am

Just checked again, when i click on the link in the email I received, I can still purchase a vehicle pass. So anyone who registered for a VP only should quit complaining and buy one.

Anime Girl
Camp Name: Ludus Symposium

Post by Anime Girl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:08 pm

I tried to buy one and clearly saw that some VPs were available but it also said "to those registered to buy a vehicle pass only". I registered for tickets and a vehicle pass and when I got through the cue it said my code was invalid to buy one. That sucks! I think if any tickets became available after the fact that anyone registered should have an opportunity to buy the vehicle pass! :( A fellow local burner sold me his extra ticket last night but now I need a vehicle pass. Ugh!
~Anime Girl

bolamin

Post by bolamin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Clicking on the link in my email with the code I get this message while waiting:
Message last updated: 12:33 PM PST
At this time, all event tickets have been purchased.
There are still Vehicle Passes available for those who registered for Vehicle Pass-only access to the sale.

Then when I get to the buy page I get
Promo code [XXXXXXXX] is invalid or tickets may not yet be available.

I'm assuming this is because I didn't register for the vehicle pass only access.

Is there anything I'm missing that will let me buy a vehicle pass?

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:31 pm

bolamin wrote:Clicking on the link in my email with the code I get this message while waiting:
Message last updated: 12:33 PM PST
At this time, all event tickets have been purchased.
There are still Vehicle Passes available for those who registered for Vehicle Pass-only access to the sale.

Then when I get to the buy page I get
Promo code [XXXXXXXX] is invalid or tickets may not yet be available.

I'm assuming this is because I didn't register for the vehicle pass only access.

Is there anything I'm missing that will let me buy a vehicle pass?
They are only selling VPs to people who registered for them only, not for them & tickets. I'm assuming the logic is that if you need a ticket & didn't get one, why do you need a vehicle pass alone? Not an official statement, but it looks like a pretty cut & dried anti-scalping measure to me.

Unless something changes, you're going to have to attempt third-party sales, either through here, fb or one of the other sites.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Theraplst
Camp Name: Camp Hotel Rug

Post by Theraplst » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:10 pm

@eric. I can directly address the question posed in your post. After failing the individual sale, I began hunting craigslist and facebook for a ticket. I registered for STEP, well STEP came and went with no love. I registered for OMG, but by the time the sale was 2 days away a friend of mine let me know that he had found a ticket for me. I was like swiggity swooty, lemme get that looty. got the ticket even though it didn't come with a vehicle pass. I simply assumed I would be able to buy a vehicle pass in OMG. Nope. disallowed. thanks OMG!
They call me simba

bolamin

Post by bolamin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:45 pm

Yep, I also got a ticket from a friend. Ticketsupport said it wasn't a problem that I was registered in OMG for tickets+VP that the VPs all would come from the same pool, but they were obviously incorrect. If anyone has access to a VP purchase and has inclination to help undo some of the inequity here, please contact me via private message... I much prefer action to complaining and send blessings to those who are on the same path.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:37 pm

Sadly, the current ticket environment makes it so they have to do the registration as it's apparently the most efficient way for them to scrub known scalpers & scammers from the list & enable as many legit people have a chance to get in the sale. If they didn't do it beforehand the phone lines could have ended up filled with people who's purchases would end up being rejected in the after-scrub, but those tickets wouldn't be available to Burners since all sales have ended. (long winded, but I'm trying to be clear)

With the amount of people entering it would be almost impossible to reopen registration for people to change their "need" status - which sadly leads to cases like yours. It it a situation anyone wants to see? Not that I know of, but it is the reality of where we're at now (which doesn't help either of you, and I realize that).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Bemerritt

Post by Bemerritt » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:57 am

I just tried again and my link no longer works. Such a bummer as I had to eplayans trying to use it. Good luck everyone!

MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:36 am

Bemerritt wrote:I just tried again and my link no longer works. Such a bummer as I had to eplayans trying to use it. Good luck everyone!
Is this allowed? Any repercussions? Seems like an easy way to help someone out in need if so, but also risky if they don't permit this and track you down and either void your VP or even worse, your ticket...

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:26 pm

MrBeardy wrote:
Bemerritt wrote:I just tried again and my link no longer works. Such a bummer as I had to eplayans trying to use it. Good luck everyone!
Is this allowed? Any repercussions? Seems like an easy way to help someone out in need if so, but also risky if they don't permit this and track you down and either void your VP or even worse, your ticket...
Sharing a code can get both the original purchase voided (that's tickets & VPs), and any other purchases made with it as well. It will also get the original user on the scalper list, so they won't be able to purchase tickets in the future. There is a reason people have distinct codes. Sharing your code is not a smart move to make.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Return to “2015 Tickets Discussion”