Fraud or not?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Burning Since: 2015

Fraud or not?

Postby ayal » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:27 pm

I just want to be sure that this is real and not a fraud as i am flying to Black Rock from far far away and this is my first time... please help me to understand better if the email that the seller send me make sense to you:

original massage from seller:

I'd need your full name and email, give it to them so that only you can pick the tickets up, and once that's done, they'll email you an email confirmation confirming the tickets are in your name! Once you receive email confirmation email confirmation stating the tickets are in your name, you would either Walmart 2 Walmart the $ to me, Stubhub e gift card, bank cash deposit, or Moneygram it, unless you're PayPal verified and have had an account for 15+ years. Was scammed out of 4k during the a World Series and have been weary of PayPal ever since. Has to be done in cash, and you need my state and full name.

Thank you very much for your help.

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Re: Fraud or not?

Postby Madgirl » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:41 pm

Paypal's barely even been around for 15 years. This sounds fishy to me.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:20 pm

Fraud. Period.
If you want to confirm, give them your name and email. When you receive your bogus " email confirmation confirming the tickets are in your name", have someone who knows the internet examine the headers and verify that it's from (The BM ticket provider). For that matter, there's nowhere in the ticketfly willcall name change process to even add a new ticket holders email address from what I can see.
Take a breath. Plan for next year. Go to Midburn. Become active on this forum. Next year will be better anyway.

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby pink » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:57 pm

All of the payment methods he wants indicate fraud. Don't do it.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Postby SnowBlind » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:28 pm

This exact text (including the weird 15 year thing) has been posted multiple times, by multiple people. It's a scam.

there are Two reddit threads with the same guy

Burning Since: 2015

Postby ayal » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:45 pm

Thank you all so much! you saved me!
you are so kind and good people!
Now i just had to find 2 tickets and a VP and everything will be perfect!

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:02 pm

Ayal - please send the information you have to: Include the email (with all the headers) if possible. They try to keep track of these as much as possible.

I'm locking this thread as the question's been answered and we have to be very careful with accusations of fraud. This is a good lesson for people looking for tickets - if it sounds fishy, it probably is. Don't let your desire to go to the Burn get in the way of making rational decisions - we don't want you to get scammed.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Return to “2015 Tickets Discussion”