Bugs and Tickets

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Blompson
Burning Since: 2009

Bugs and Tickets

Post by Blompson » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:13 am

Reading about the green bug problem this year I can't help but wonder if some of the current ticket holders will be suddenly turned off by the infestation reports and start selling off their tickets in a hurry. This is the time of year where last minute cancellations usually start to break free a good number of tickets, right? I wonder if this will lead to an unusually large increase in ticket availability over the next couple of weeks. I mean, I can't go regardless due to a broken collarbone, but I find it an interesting thought. I guess we'll see!

Don't let the bedbugs bite!
History does not repeat itself, though it often rhymes.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Bugs and Tickets

Post by trilobyte » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:31 am

I wouldn't count on it. We've been in last-minute mode for more than a week now, and no appreciable spikes in ticket activity. No real uptick in ticket offers here (or elsewhere) in the last couple days, either. And anecdotally, I have yet to see a single person in my social circles posting to the effect of "fuck bugs, I'm out."

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:26 am

Blompson wrote:Reading about the green bug problem this year I can't help but wonder if some of the current ticket holders will be suddenly turned off by the infestation reports and start selling off their tickets in a hurry. This is the time of year where last minute cancellations usually start to break free a good number of tickets, right? I wonder if this will lead to an unusually large increase in ticket availability over the next couple of weeks. I mean, I can't go regardless due to a broken collarbone, but I find it an interesting thought. I guess we'll see!

Don't let the bedbugs bite!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:17 pm

I think the real effect--if the bugs are truly terrible--will be next year.

2008 had crazy windstorms, so the population dropped by approximately 10,000 people in 2009.

However, whether people hate windstorms or bugs more would still be the question, and I think the population drop would not be as marked because publicity around the event has reached such heights.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:31 pm

Savannah wrote:I think the real effect--if the bugs are truly terrible--will be next year.

2008 had crazy windstorms, so the population dropped by approximately 10,000 people in 2009.
I'm sure that contributed, but I suspect the economic collapse had a lot more to do with the population being 6k smaller that year.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:17 pm

DrYes wrote:
Savannah wrote:I think the real effect--if the bugs are truly terrible--will be next year.

I'm sure that contributed, but I suspect the economic collapse had a lot more to do with the population being 6k smaller that year.
Spoken like someone who missed both of those 8-hour long windstorms. :wink:

The economy may have had an effect, too, sure . . . but poor economy has dogged other Burn years and yet there was never a backwards slide as big as that between between 2008 and 2009. (And 2008 was the last time we really had amazing dust storms of protracted length.)

Hell, there's NEVER been a backwards slide that I can see, other than that year.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:20 pm

On the other hand...everyone at work today knew about the bugs and was amazed that anyone would attend.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:26 pm

Ratty wrote:On the other hand...everyone at work today knew about the bugs and was amazed that anyone would attend.
After working so hard to get tickets, get time off, make art and structures and costumes and signs, reserve rentals, hotel rooms, & flights, and the promise & excitement of seeing friends . . . I think most of us would still go, even if there were wild packs of roving wolves.

Even Stink Wolves.

mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Post by mooserider » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:07 pm

But aren't there already wild packs of stink sparkleponies out there?

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:30 pm

I gotta admit, I hate bugs so much I intend to make certain my truck and trailer aren't landlocked so I can say fuck this and get the fuck out if I want.
I'm gonna show up, but if it's Bug Apocalypse I'm fucking leaving.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Blompson
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Blompson » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:02 pm

I've figured the dedicated burners would just view the bugs as another obstacle, of which their are always plenty out there. I guess the thought I'm more specifically trying to explore is whether or not the weekend warrior tech-types with little personal investment in the community/event will decide to pass their tickets along.

I know that if I had a ticket this year I'd just be figuring out ways to combat the bug problem.
History does not repeat itself, though it often rhymes.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:15 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I gotta admit, I hate bugs so much I intend to make certain my truck and trailer aren't landlocked so I can say fuck this and get the fuck out if I want.
I'm gonna show up, but if it's Bug Apocalypse I'm fucking leaving.
He's so ugly even a bug would throw up if one bit him in the first place..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:16 pm

The "tech types" usually ARE the dedicated burners.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:42 pm

I went to my comic book store today, and the owners first words after 'hi' were, 'what's up with all the bugs this year?'.

Even though the placement email said they were all coming with the stuff from the ranch and would die off, if this were true there would be new infusions with every theme camp container brought from the ranch. :(

I'm glad we don't have a container at the ranch
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Return to “2015 Tickets Discussion”