Commerce Policy Feedback

We're doing it wrong...we know
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Commerce Policy Feedback

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:08 am

On April 22, 2015 Burning Man updated its Terms Of Service and Community Guidelines, and introduced a new Commerce Policy. We believe this was a long time coming, and will help the board to better serve the community as a resource for planning their adventures and projects. Let us know what you think of these changes in the post below.

PS - Remember, if you absolutely do not want to see any commercial listings on this message board, you can follow the instructions in this post to opt out and stop seeing that whole section of the board.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Commerce Policy Feedback

Postby VultureChow » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:02 pm

I had strong negative feelings at first. I suppose it will depend on the moderation and the moderators. Luckily we have good ones.

That said, I wish it was in a different category from 'Show your Support" In my mind buying someone's used tent is in a different category from supporting a theme camp or art project.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:05 pm

Yippy! I'm always cruising CL and now I have a board with something more relevant to my interests. I don't buy anything on CL so this just makes my window shopping handier. My first instinct was to put up a really funny ad about having a sale at one of the mod's homes. I knew it would be purely for my and some mods enjoyment. The problem with internet humor is you never know where they draw the line.

If it's annoying I may have to block it.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:32 pm

I understand where you're coming from, VultureChow. It's all under the Show Your Support category because in broad terms, it's supporting the community. That includes fundraisers for playa camps and art (Show Your Support), recommendations/endorsements from people in the community to others in the community (recommendations), other burners (playa exchange), and community owned/managed businesses (burnerpreneurs... which in many regards is very similar to the annual JRS resource guide).'

That said, do not feel bad or unsupportive of the community if you should choose to opt out of seeing those posts. Remember, you can join or leave that group at any time, so if you'd feel better about not having it around most of the time, but opening the doors from time to time when you're looking for things or looking for a worthy project to help out... you can do that.

@Ratty - please keep gag threads confined to Open Discussion, thanks.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Postby Jovankat » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:43 am

I for one am kind of excited about these new additions. I love browsing shops/classifieds online and it would be cool to get to see what burner run/related business and services are out there.

I do have one question and two suggestions though.

Firstly the question; does this now mean it's ok to post links to commerce-y things in other threads? Like a while ago there was a thread from an international burner who really wanted to be able to rent or recycle their camping gear rather than just chuck it out at the end of the week and I posted a link to a burner tent hire kinda place but it was removed since it was not allowed within the site rules. Would something like that in the context of it being an answer to a specific question in a thread somewhere else on the board be ok now?

If not would it be an acceptable work around to start a recommendation thread about the thing you want to link to and then post a link to that thread in your comment in the other part of the board?

Now first suggestion/observation. Now that we have this new section of the board if feels like "Share Resources" is out of place. It seems more like categorically it belongs with the rest of the commerce/trade/gifting stuff even if "show your support" doesn't sound like it goes with sharing. Actually I agree VC that "show your support" doesn't seem like the best name for this new section now.

And lastly, and I'm not even sure if this is possible, but it seems like the commerce/trade etc section should be below "all about burning man" and "year round connections" because I predict they will continue to be busier sections than the commerce one and it sort of seems like they're more *important* sections of the board. Also I'm not as interested in the commerce stuff as everything else but I don't want to hide that section completely and I assume I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Just my 2 cents, oor maybe 6 cents since its three things...

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:16 am

No, it is not acceptable to post commerce posts in other threads. As per the posted guidelines, the limited commercial listings we allow must be in one of the designated areas.

Posting a recommendation or endorsement of a company offering an event-specific thing that you've personally had experience is fine, however posting recommendations for random stuff you found while surfing the web is not. We believe that most users will exercise reasonable judgment there, but if it turns out to be otherwise then we may have to tighten up those rules.

Share resources is not out of place at all. That is still a commerce-free zone that's used for gifting and coordinating various shares (rides, rv, gear haulage), and as with camp dues we ask those posters to keep the financial details confined to private messages between interested parties.

A restructuring of the board's categories is planned for later in the year, until then the Show Your Support category will stay beneath the year-specific event board. As for the category's name, see my reply to VultureChow above.

If you don't want to hide the section completely.... then don't. Any of the boards on the site are pretty easily ignored simply by not clicking into the forum and browsing its topics. If the only part of the Show Your Support category that you're interested in is fundraisers (and yes, fundraisers are commerce... money's changing hands there), then from the index page click directly on the 'Support A Project' board and don't click on the broader 'Show Your Support' category. It's perfectly fine to be more or less interested (or have no interest at all) in one type of commerce. It remains to be seen how busy things will get to be, or the kind and quality of listings that we'll see.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 15, 2015 6:32 pm

trilobyte wrote:If you don't want to hide the section completely.... then don't. Any of the boards on the site are pretty easily ignored simply by not clicking into the forum and browsing its topics.

You can click the sub-forum, browse the topics, open any you want to and then press the handy button/link that will clear out the rest! You just gotta trust your judgement about which threads are worth clicking. And if you can trust yourself, whom can you trust?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

waynerd
Camp Name: Cameltopia 2014! 8:30 & E

Postby waynerd » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:00 pm

Trilo,
Is there anywhere on eplaya that is okay to promote a non-profit Burning Man inspired gifting project that is looking for help via crowdfunding?

Thanks, W
Excuse me, this is way different than what was described in the brochure!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:32 pm

No there is not. Sorry, but as per the posted guidelines that is outside the scope of what is allowed on this board.

waynerd
Camp Name: Cameltopia 2014! 8:30 & E

Postby waynerd » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:52 pm

trilobyte wrote:No there is not. Sorry, but as per the posted guidelines that is outside the scope of what is allowed on this board.

Alright. Thank you for the confirmation.
Excuse me, this is way different than what was described in the brochure!

Return to “ePlaya Feedback”