I don't like the changes to the board....

We're doing it wrong...we know
Colonel Monk

I don't like the changes to the board....

Postby Colonel Monk » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:35 pm

I just wanted to say, that I don't like the changes that were made getting rid of the Mutant vehicle forum and combining it and others.

I love all art at Burning Man, and I appreciate theme camps though talking about them doesn't float my boat.

I love mutant vehicles and for the little time I have to visit eplaya (particularly in the summer before the event) I liked being able to come to the forum and just look at threads about mutant vehicles!

I don't have a TV for the same reason, because I don't like commercials and like being able to focus on my interests without having to sift thru other information.

As an engineer I get enough of that crap when I'm at work, I don't want to deal with it when I'm relaxing.

So, no offense but two thumbs down.

Could you at least make them sub forums? What was the reasoning in making the change?

CM
dust.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: I don't like the changes to the board....

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:37 pm

Colonel Monk wrote:I love mutant vehicles and for the little time I have to visit eplaya...

You pretty much answered it right there. There simply aren't any number of people posting M/V threads. Seems they're all to busy working on them.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Colonel Monk

Postby Colonel Monk » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:52 pm

Well, yeah but not completely. There's been some 40-50 or so threads per year that I read with enthusiasm. Now they are all mixed in.

This is the reason that the newspaper has sections. If it was all one jumble of content, many people wouldn't bother reading it.

But I've been called crazy before.
dust.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:17 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to ePlaya feedback, since that's a better fit for your feedback.

I'm sorry you don't like it, Colonel Monk. We tried having a separate section for mutant vehicles in 2012, 2013, and 2014 (there had never been an MV section before), and found that the response and participation was pretty dismal. It also led to some confusion with other boards, and gave some people the mistaken impression that there weren't going to be very many mutant vehicles on the playa.

All that isn't to say that we'll never have another mutant vehicle section on the board. Plans are in the works for reviewing the board's categories later in the year, and if possible I'd like to find a way to make it work.

In the meantime, ePlaya is hardly a newspaper without any sections. There are plenty of sections (categories and forums), and just like in years past threads announcing or updating people on their mutant vehicles are welcome in the same board as any other art projects.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Postby Jovankat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:30 pm

Would it maybe be helpful to have a pinned thread in 2015 Camps, Art & Activities for MV folk to announce their plans to bring a vehicle sort of like the 6:00, 3:00, 9:00 etc threads?

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:13 pm

No.

We do neighborhood threads so that camp organizers can connect (and in some cases share resources) with people in their neighborhood, and so that participants can get a sense of what camps may be in their particular section of town.

MV's are a vastly different thing and city-wide. Mutant vehicle builders are welcome and encouraged to announce and post updates about their projects in their own threads... creating a sticky thread to ask the MV builders (most of whom are not using the board to talk about their projects to begin with) to make additional posts for the benefit of those who aren't interested in browsing the boards is not a solution.

Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:20 pm

I just thought it might be a compromise. I genuinely thought the neighbourhood threads were just an announcement kinda thing, that's how they seem to be used. There are a lot more camps who've been mentioned in the respective neighbourhood threads than have whole threads to themselves.

Also your last sentence there kinda sounds like you're opposed to the idea of making the board accessible to folks who don't have the time to spend all day every day here. While our regulars are great I really hope you're not as dismissive of the needs of the casual user as that sounded.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Hey Colonel, did you know there is a burningman.org email list for MV's? Not sure how active. And sure there are more social media forums devoted to art cars, mutating, film effect cars, even BM MVs. Social media is always shifting! Sure things will go crazy because of the recent big commercial movie. Don't know where you are geographically, but MV teams usually need plenty of year round volunteer help!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Colonel Monk

Postby Colonel Monk » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:27 am

some seeing eye wrote:Hey Colonel, did you know there is a burningman.org email list for MV's? Not sure how active. And sure there are more social media forums devoted to art cars, mutating, film effect cars, even BM MVs. Social media is always shifting! Sure things will go crazy because of the recent big commercial movie. Don't know where you are geographically, but MV teams usually need plenty of year round volunteer help!

Didn't know about the list, I'll try to find that.

Social media? Not sure how I feel about that specifically..... Myself and other burners are of the belief that social media has been detrimental to the event since it places BM in front of those that would not otherwise have seen it. Hence bucketlisters, PnP camps, etc etc which in my opinion have not been good for the social fabric of the event. Just sayin.....

My point for starting this thread is that I don't like the changes to this board that stuffed what MV material there was into a box with other stuff I don't care about. That is social media in a nutshell, the only reason I bother with facebook anymore is to see pics of my nieces and nephews...

Thanks

CM
dust.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:21 am

I'm sorry if you misread that as being dismissive, or jumped to the conclusion that I don't give consideration to casual users of the board (when that isn't the case at all). To simplify it a bit more, you can not fix a lack of participation by a group by adding another place where they would need to participate in order to appease the people who aren't interested in skimming the topic list.

Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:42 am

Let me simplify what I was saying since you seem to have misread what I wrote jumped to the wrong conclusion. My suggestion wasn't about trying to increase the participation of MV folk, it was about making their limited participation more visible. Given that they don't post all that much their threads are now quickly buried in the combined camp, art and MV forum. I just thought having a pinned thread like the neighbourhood threads would help those looking for the MV content by being a quick reference to which users are MV folk.

mgb327

Postby mgb327 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:53 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:07 pm

Only 1% of burners have a mutant vehicle. The majority of those are decorated golf carts or decorated busses, ho hum who cares. So the pickins for anything interesting M/V related are real slim. You could make a relatively large increase in eplaya M/V discussion by starting a thread about one. If there were a few M/V threads, Trilo would have a reason to create a category.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Colonel Monk

Postby Colonel Monk » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:21 pm

Move along, people.... nothing to see here...

I said my peace, there's not much else to say.

I liked it when there was an MV forum. Some didn't like it, so there isn't one now.

There used to be a couple handfuls of threads each year, though last year was only 20.... So I guess it's true, though I like them they aren't of much interest. BORING maybe even...

Ain't the end of the world, "first world problem"?

See you on the playa
dust.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:22 pm

Jovankat wrote:I just thought having a pinned thread like the neighbourhood threads would help those looking for the MV content by being a quick reference to which users are MV folk.

But what would the thread be about? "Hey we have an MV"? "Help us build our MV"? "Here's pictures of our MV"/ "We have questions about building an MV"? It's not as easy as just pinning some vague thread, the thread has to have an actual reason to exist. Take the neighborhood threads, they exist to say "hey, we think we'll be camping in this area", and, yes, more camps post in them than create individual threads because it's not about recruiting or asking questions, it's just saying "here we are" (or, at this point of the season: "we hope to be here")

For an MV thread there just isn't any way to do a simple cohesive topic for a pinned post - they're all over the city, and they're all very different animals. Think about it - what do the Cupcakes and Robot Heart have in common other than wheels & motors? IMHO it would be worse than having it as part of a larger forum, because everything would just end up jumbled together, without even the convenience of threads to organize things.

This doesn't mean there will never be an MV section again, just that there isn't one now.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:44 pm

I was imaging it being about "Hey we have an MV" just like the neighbourhood threads are about "hey, we think we'll be camping in this area."

And just like posts in the neighbourhood threads do occasionally make mention of there being openings in a camp the posts in the MV thread would probably occassionally make mention of volunteers being needed to work on the vehicle. And just as the camp posts sometimes include a link to an external website or another thread the MV posts could do that too.

It just seemed like a pinned thread was the halfway point between having a dedicated section and the way things are now *shrug* I'm not super bothered either way, it was just a suggestion.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:42 pm

Colonel Monk wrote:I said my peace

My inner proscriptive grammarian has itchy palms.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:23 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Colonel Monk wrote:I said my peace

My inner proscriptive grammarian has itchy palms.

It's an interesting topic of discussion. Google it.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Return to “ePlaya Feedback”