Sections for Placement of Participants with Theme Camps

We're doing it wrong...we know
aidentrance
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Zerodrome

Sections for Placement of Participants with Theme Camps

Postby aidentrance » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:41 pm

It seems like there aren't any specific areas dedicated to helping theme camps and aspiring camp members link up.

It would really help to see some sections under the current year issues like these categories:

Theme Camps Seeking Members
...Tent camping members wanted
...RV camping members wanted
...Participants with assets

Participants Seeking Theme Camps (volunteer labor assumed)
...Willing to haul
...willing to arrive early to setup
...willing to stay late to clean up
...tents campers seeking theme camp
...RV campers seeking theme camp

There doesn't appear to be a consistent or dedicated area for such postings presently, or if something exists, it isn't obvious. This improvement would sure help manage common interests and resources at the event better.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013

Re: Sections for Placement of Participants with Theme Camps

Postby Jovankat » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:10 pm

That's what the 2015 Camps, Art & Activities section, where you've posted 2 threads, is for.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:18 am

aidentrance, I see what you mean. Like the tickets wanted and tickets offered sections. That way camps and campers could easily shop for a match. Good idea.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby tamarakay » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:25 am

Yes, good suggestion. Easy to find and to the point.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:00 pm

In the past we've had a separate forum for Theme Camps and one for Art/ Projects, but while they each were about 3-4 pages long, they were low post count. This year we tried merging them to see if it would create more activity in that section (we actually changed a few of the 2015 event specific forums). The forum layout isn't written in stone, and we look at how things are performing to make decisions on future modifications. This layout is currently working fine, and it's not being changed this season.

Also, all the categories you've suggested are ones to fit your specific needs, not the best needs of the board as a whole, and are so micro-level that I can't see them being seriously considered. The specific posts by a camp can explain what the camp is looking for in members. We have to take the community into account, not what's going to be best for one camp.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

aidentrance
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Zerodrome

Postby aidentrance » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:58 am

Well, whatever it is this year isn't working either, hence the suggestion.

Many people are aware that some theme camps want members, and are also aware than many campers would like to join theme camps. The barrier presented between the two continues to exist.

There remains a need for a clear and consistent option for camps and campers to link up. The current configuration isn't cutting it.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:40 am

How about word of mouth between existing campers? Not sure I'd enjoy the results of a camp recruited entirely off the internet.
And have you tried http://spark.burningman.org/? I think that's what that board is actually designed to do, especially if you're searching for people with specific skill sets.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Postby The CO » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:12 pm

aidentrance wrote:Well, whatever it is this year isn't working either, hence the suggestion.

Many people are aware that some theme camps want members, and are also aware than many campers would like to join theme camps. The barrier presented between the two continues to exist.

There remains a need for a clear and consistent option for camps and campers to link up. The current configuration isn't cutting it.

At this very moment in the "Camps, art and activities" there are 7 camps posted with "join us" or similar phrasing, just on the first page. I didn't count how many "seeking camp"posts there are.

I'm not sure I see a barrier.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:27 pm

aidentrance wrote:Well, whatever it is this year isn't working either, hence the suggestion.

The configuration is fine. It is not, however, a guarantee that a camp will generate interest, or that people will flock to a camp.

You are the only camp that has complained about the way the Camps/ Arts/ Activities board is set up this year, and it's been this way since at least the beginning of the year. As I said in my post above, you are targeting a very specific subset of people, and I'm pretty sure most of the people in that category already have made plans by this late date. You might also want to look at the phrasing of your post and see if it's framed in a way to generate excitement and make someone want to camp with you. You are selling yourself. Lastly, just posting doesn't guarantee any responses. Period. All it's doing is allowing people to see you have room for new members - it's up to those potential members, not the board itself, to actually be interested.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:33 am

Just because you aren't personally getting a lot of response from your listing does not necessarily mean that the system itself is not working.

There are a couple main reasons for a point of failure. First, general laziness - meaning the individual can not be bothered to read through the board to find camps or campmates or whatever it is they're looking for. Second, lack of a compelling offer - meaning that people are not interested in the post for whatever reason (it's a subjective choice).

Addressing the first, we have a lot of history that shows that adding boards does not fix lazy. If they can't be bothered to look through one board, people will be even less bothered to look through multiple boards.

Addressing the second, making changes or additions to the board's structure will not make an offer any more (or less) compelling. It's also not the site's job to fill up your camp, or find you a camp.... so it's a little hard to give guidance here. Sometimes a camp dreams really big with a theme or an idea that's a bit more specialized... but it could also be a communications issue. The only camps that get a lot of response from very little posted details are either camps that have been around a while, or whose members are long-time active regular members of the site. Everybody else has to put some work into it.

That can be the toughest part for a lot of people, it's hard to put it all into words - and even harder still to clearly communicate your creative vision and passion. It should be bubbling with excitement! Links to a camp web site or FB page are nice, but if you're a returning camp and have pictures online perhaps embed an image or two showing the camp, your art, etc. If you've already posted a thread and it's not getting any activity, you can reply to that thread up to once a week to bump it, or (better still) to add more info. Tell people about events that are being planned, art that you're working on, or add another pic or two. Actually, even if you are getting a response, come back periodically and do that anyways - your camp thread is for you to not only recruit campmates but to get people excited about what you're doing. Half the fun (for me, anyways) of reading through the various camp threads is to see what kind of awesome stuff people are getting up to.

Participation is key - the more you put in, the more you get out of it.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:11 pm

Wait a darn minute Trillo, Tamarakay and I don't want results. We have a camp. (Sorry Tamarakay. You and I are the only yes votes so I have to use your name here. Strength in numbers and all that.) We just want it to be 'one click away' from all the inquiries, (read beggars), while we sit back and browse. At least that's why I liked the idea. Lazy? You betcha. I would love it if you could put them on a split screen and I could draw lines to match people with camps. Now THAT would be a hoot.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:58 am

Ooooh, this could be a THING!!! (for next year)

Newbs post what they're looking for (blind)
Camps post what they're looking for (blind)

Eplaya denizens match up (or snark mercilessly) the newbs with the Camps!!! :twisted:

Like burner camp 'dating', online.
(what the hell was that show with the bachelors, old skool, called???) :roll:

Who's in??? 8)
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Media Mecca & Black Rock City Airport

Postby Meat Hunter » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:50 am

The Dating Game.....
Make America Kind Again.
veni, vidi, ego exuro.
Miss Ratty makes me happier than a tornado in a trailer park.
Specializing in: Calibrating Windsocks -- Any size - Any where - Any time...

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:45 am

Mismatchmakers!!! :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby tamarakay » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:10 am

I'm in!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Return to “ePlaya Feedback”