A funny fact about this forum. You will be laughing really h

We're doing it wrong...we know
omer
Burning Since: 2016

A funny fact about this forum. You will be laughing really h

Postby omer » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:11 pm

Okay, here's the thing: I have been lookin for people to rent an RV together in this forum. So I typed "looking" on the search bar.

Guess what happened next? Nothing showed up. NOTHING! I was in shock. How come nobody used the word "looking" in their sentence? Then, I typed "lookin" accidentally. Hundreds of results came down.

What a coincidence right? :D
Lookin for burners to rent an RV for 2016 BM. Feel free to msg me.

My instagram is: omersakarya <- go follow!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: A funny fact about this forum. You will be laughing real

Postby Elderberry » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:39 pm

Guess what? I typed "looking" into the search bar just now and still nothing shows up. And I know that word should be in there because you just typed it. Funny, no? Are you laughing yet? :)

Search on this site sucks.

But, if you go to Google and type: "looking for rv to share eplaya" (without the quotes), you'll get a bunch of results. (Or you could also type: looking for rv share site:eplaya.burningman.org" again without quotes.)

Welcome to eplaya.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Stop word.

“Words that do not appear in the index in a particular database because they are either insignificant (i.e., articles, prepositions) or so common that the results would be higher than the system can handle (as in the case of IUCAT where terms such as United States or Department are stop words in keyword searching.) Stop words vary from system to system. Also, some systems will merely ignore stop words where use of stop words in other systems will result in retrieving zero hits. ”

http://www.iusb.edu/~libg/instruction/h ... lean.shtml

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:51 pm

Just_Joe is probably dead on.

Cut and paste the search below, with quotes, into google:
site:eplaya.burningman.org "RV" AND "share"

That got me 11,400 hits just on ePlaya (the site: parameter means it will only look on the site you list)

Part of Google-fu is knowing how to work with it's limitations
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:56 pm

Thanks Just Joe. I've often wondered about that. So kids what did you learn today at school? ''Stop Word".
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

omer

Postby omer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:19 am

Eric haha so it all comes down to the martial art of Google-fu... Good technique though
Lookin for burners to rent an RV for 2016 BM. Feel free to msg me.

My instagram is: omersakarya <- go follow!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:27 am

Sorry, I didn't see this as it was posted in Open Discussion and not in ePlaya Feedback. I gave it a nudge to the right board, as that's a better fit for a discussion about operation of the site.

Joe's closest to hitting the nail on the head. The site's mysql search functionality works really well, but doesn't index various common words. Elderberry's right in that if you want to go the dumb search route (that is, not search by keywords and just type random words that come into your head), using something like google or bing with those words plus 'eplaya' will get you the best results (all the major search engines index our site). Eric is right in that if you're smart and search by keywords, you get better results (the same is true on just about every search engine).

You can also get better results when searching on ePlaya sometimes by clicking on the advanced search button and narrowing the focus. You can specify that you're looking for words in topic titles or in topics and messages, or for stuff posted by a specific person (great for trying to find an old conversation, if you've been on the site for a while), or you can choose just a specific board or boards to look in.

All searching aside, you can expect to see posts about RV shares for the 2016 event on the aptly titled "Rideshares and Resource Sharing" board. There's very little in there now, because it's still really early in the season. Good luck in finding a connection.

Skuzzy61
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Skuzzy61 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:58 am

To get MySQL to catch the common words, change the length of the ft_min_word_len from the default of 4 to 3. You will need to rebuild the index, but that should catch a lot more.

Just a thought.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:29 pm

Sorry, we're not doing that.

Skuzzy61

Postby Skuzzy61 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:32 pm

trilobyte wrote:Sorry, we're not doing that.

Oh, I worded that poorly. It was not meant to be a directive. It was meant to be informative. My bad for the poor choice of wording.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Re: A funny fact about this forum. You will be laughing really h

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:52 pm

No worries at all, I took it as a request... it's just something we aren't going to be doing anytime soon. Doing things like including common words and reducing the minimum number of characters beyond those minimums has a fairly high performance cost. The current setup offers a performance sweet spot and provides great results to those who use it for strategic keywords, and those who would prefer a more google-esque or bing-tastic experience can get best results by simply using those search engines with the keyword 'eplaya' tacked on.

Skuzzy61

Re: A funny fact about this forum. You will be laughing really h

Postby Skuzzy61 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:24 pm

Oh, I know. And yes, I know you took it as a request, which is what I did not intend at all.

Sometimes you do things for so long it becomes second nature and you just flat out forget how to parse out that information in an informative way, rather than a declarative manner.

Yes, there are performance ramifications. It was never meant to be a request, but thank you for not taking a hammer to my temple. :)

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:41 pm

trilobyte wrote:
Joe's closest to hitting the nail on the head.

I win!
Drinks all around, but don't go nudging this to the bar thread, Trilo.

Return to “ePlaya Feedback”