Notification Center

We're doing it wrong...we know
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Notification Center

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:34 pm

One of the many cool things we picked up in the big upgrade is a totally revamped notification system. It's been re-written from the ground up, and is now a lot more efficient under the hood. Now everything you do or check doesn't require entire pages to re-load, and the layout has gotten a lot more intuitive.

The notification center is a great tool for not only keeping track of messages but also new posts and replies in threads you may be subscribed to. Click on the link on the upper right, and it will display the last 5 notifications as well as a link to the page where you can see them all.

In the screen shot above, you'll notice that the stuff that's already been viewed has a white background, and the one that hasn't been viewed has a colored background. Click on the notification and it'll take you to the post in question, or if you simply hover over the item you'll see a checkbox on the right where you can mark the item as read.

Clicking on the 'See All' button takes you to the Notification Center in your User Control Panel....

If you want to change what kinds of things you're getting notified about, you can change that in the Board Preferences -> Notifications tab...

It's pretty self-explanatory. Check it if you want a notification by email or in the notification center, un-check it if you don't. Save your settings by clicking the Submit button (not in the screen shot, but at bottom right) and you're all set to go. Enjoy!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Notification Center

Postby Elderberry » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:10 pm

That was one of the first things I noticed. Love it.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:11 pm

Oooh... I really like this feature. One question: are we automatically subscribed to threads we create and/or respond to? Or does thread subscription always require positive action?

Thanks for all you do, trilo! The upgrade is slick!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:32 am

That is actually totally up to you. When you post a new thread, under the message editor window is a checkbox for notifying you when people reply. Check it, and it remembers your choice and will default to that next time you start a new thread. Similarly, when posting a reply in a thread, there's a checkbox to let you get notified when somebody posts another reply after yours. Since the settings are sticky, it should just be a matter of setting them once.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:52 am

So there are... now that I think about it, weren't these boxes here in the previous iteration? Amazing how my eye just slides right over useful features. Amazing, and a bit embarrassing.

Thanks for the hand-holding, trilobyte! :oops:
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:51 am

Yeah, that's been built into the software a while. In fairness though, I think those features really start to come into focus now that the notification center works the way it does.

Return to “ePlaya Feedback”