Mod abuse: Looks like I'm leaving?

We're doing it wrong...we know
That is Nice
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: The Real World

Mod abuse: Looks like I'm leaving?

Post by That is Nice » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:56 am

Just thought I'd throw this out. I posted a notice for the Chicago Full Moon Fire Jam on the Off-Playa Meetups board

viewforum.php?f=26

which Trilobyte gives us a link to in this post

viewtopic.php?f=470&t=79622

I posted that notice where I was asked to post it. The event absolutely is a burn, maybe the single largest event that could seriously be called on in a city which Burning Man seems to be going out of its way to alienate. I even embedded a video from a past event, showing what was going on and yes, it's a burn.

This didn't keep the mod with masturbating avatar from deleting my announcement and telling me that there was a rule against posting an announcement of an event not connected with Burning Man. On a board where there is little to be found other than such announcements.

This was arbitrary as Hell. It also strikes at very reason for being here. As I said in my personal introduction

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=91048

I'm here to share stuff. Not to schmooze, not to take part in some online drama, just to share stuff. If that stuff is going to get deleted by a mod with a bad case of Barney Fire syndrome, or some other reason that's just as bad, why bother?

I'll look back in, in a few days. If I see apologies and support, we can let bygones be bygones, as long as Elderberry is off of the mod staff, because he did abuse his power. If not, if I'm getting dogpiled or I'm watching the mods double down on their position?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How much was I getting paid to post here? :lol:

I'll just move on somewhere else. I'm attached to the idea of Art, to the idea of community, but I'm not attached to the Burning Man brand. If you guys are going to spit on my local community, then to Hell with you. If not, what were you thinking about?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Mod abuse: Looks like I'm leaving?

Post by AntiM » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:24 am

I looked at it. That's sponsored by the city of Chicago/Chicago Parks, and while it includes fire, it is not really a burner meet up. I can see why you think it is, and as a mod, I can see why it is not.

Just because you disagree with a decision doesn't make it mod abuse.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:44 am

That is nice, it's been great. If a little thing like having a Mod remove your post upsets you...well good luck with your social media persona. I like Elderberry. If you met him I dare say you would too.

If the community here were allowed to post every rave, concert, festival and zombie walk this board wouldn't be about Burning Man. We've all had emails from the Mods. Good and bad. Don't get all butt hurt. You aren't due any apology. Grow a pair.

You could spend endless time rehashing this and stating your case but who cares? This is the community board for Burning Man. Let's talk dust and dehydration.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:59 am

Oh I’ve been reprimanded for a variety of things here by the mods...

I’m still here, I think they like it. :twisted:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

That is Nice
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: The Real World

Post by That is Nice » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:10 pm

AntiM wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:24 am
I looked at it. That's sponsored by the city of Chicago/Chicago Parks
No, AntiM, it's not. The Chicago Full Moon Fire Jam is held in one of the parks (Lincon Park) in the city of Chicago, but it is not held by the city of Chicago or the Chicago Park District. It is an event held mostly by burners that has to get a permit from the city, and the city does mention it on its website, but it not run or funded by the city. There are many such events in Chicago.

https://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/eve ... -out-parks
and while it includes fire, it is not really a burner meet up.

Yes, it really is. Using your logic, Burning Man is itself not a Burning Man event, because it is held on federal land, has to be licensed by an agency of the federal government (the BLM) and is mentioned on said agency's website. The relationship between the city government, the Park District and the Fire Jam is directly analogous to that between the federal government, the BLM and Burning Man.
I can see why you think it is, and as a mod, I can see why it is not.
In other words, being a mod gives you your fifteen minutes of fame, so you expect that I'll be a good little burner and not question anything a mod does. To which my response is "please get over yourself."
Just because you disagree with a decision doesn't make it mod abuse.
Mod abuse doesn't stop being mod abuse just because another mod is willing to twist logic like it's a pretzel just to make the abuse look like something other than what it is. Or, just as bad, because she doesn't understand that this is what she is doing.

But this is all a moot point, given what I saw in this discussion ("Salon takes a hatchet to Burning Man?")

Short form: Ranger gets her retinas fried out by a laser mounted on an art car. LLC makes rule against handheld lasers, but lasers mounted on art cars are still allowed. Burners think that problem is solved when, in fact, the issue hasn't been addressed at all, and stare blankly when anybody tries to explain the problem to them.

I look at that and then think about some of the discussions I've had in chat and find that I'm having an epiphany. Those jokes people were telling about using drugs so heavily that they didn't know where they were sometimes - those weren't really jokes, were they? I've been working under the assumption that you folks were capable of functioning as adults, and now I wonder why I was assuming that. Maybe if I knew more druggies, I would have seen this sooner.

Well, holy fuck. After reading that, there's no way in Hell that I'd agree to go to Burning Man or a regional burn, or any local burn is, which the Full Moon Jam is. I can look at your profile, AntiM, think of the references I was seeing in the Camp Envy chat and I get the picture - Burning Man is "home" to a pack of holdouts from the late 20th century drug culture, who've been given access to 21st century technology at 21st century prices. FUCK, that's dangerous.

The Chicago Fire Jam people have been notified, so you'll have that political mess to deal with, but as for how you guys work it out or don't, I just stopped giving a fuck. Noooo ... I am not going to hang around with a pack of burnouts who have access to lasers and combustible material. I like being in one piece, with all senses still functioning, and as for the conversations I'll miss out on?

Even with the links I provided, which clearly show that your assertion was wrong, will you even understand what I'm telling you? I suspect that you won't. About an hour ago, somebody told me that a few years ago, you flipped your shit on ePlaya because somebody said that the Great Salt Lake wouldn't be a good source of drinking water, and that the Midwest produced more food than did the highly arid state of Utah. That, ma'am, is more craziness than I'm ready to handle. It says "heavy drug use" to me.

I avoid people like you, even here at home. Why would I want to travel to meet a pack of you? Goodbye. I'm logging out and not logging back in.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:30 pm

oh I so do get amused when people stomp their feet and rant.
Rage Quit at its finest to be sure.
Yes, stay home where it’s safe.
I think you’ve made the right choice.
Adios
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:02 pm

That is Nice wrote: ...I'm logging out and not logging back in.
That's nice.

Burning Man really isn't everyone's cup of tea.

It seems to me that it is much better for everyone that you realized this sooner, rather than investing a ton of time and money, and using up a ticket, only to figure it out later. I'm sure you'll find other fun things out there to enjoy and participate in for which you are better suited.

...and for what it's worth, just because it looks like a fire, and smells like a fire, doesn't necessarily make it an officially sanctioned Burning Man event. I suspect there's paperwork and hoops to be jumped through for that distinction.

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:38 pm

There are so many instances where Burning Man would shatter someone's soul. Clearly we have that here.
Think of the shit ton of money you just saved.
There are resorts and festive theme parks that cater to a certain segment of the population. The paid staff can deal will needy guests.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:51 pm

I Am Not Nice wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:10 pm
there's no way in Hell that I'd agree to go to Burning Man
My favorite of your quotes.

Look everyone, I said something positive!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:27 pm

"We're NOT adults. We ALL died at Burning Man!!!"
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:15 am

About an hour ago, somebody told me that a few years ago, you flipped your shit on ePlaya because somebody said that the Great Salt Lake wouldn't be a good source of drinking water, and that the Midwest produced more food than did the highly arid state of Utah.
Wow, that was ages ago. 2006? I remember the conversation, after Katrina, some of the refugees were housed at an Army facility on a major highway, not out in the desert in a prison camp as that person suggested. No, I didn't flip my shit, I pointed out we had water (not the GSL) and a modern transport and distribution system which made where the food was grown a moot point. That you know someone who would recall that old conversation and still harps on it is pretty bizarre. That you would consider it a valid point of personal attack is stranger still.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:23 am

If you do not feed a stray dog then the stray dog will not hang around the house very long.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:51 pm

So how do you do a dramatic temper tantrum exit? Slam your laptop shut really hard?
Throw your smartphone as far as you can?
Goddamm Eplaya... sometimes it's like trying to use an LED light bulb in an Easy Bake oven.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:41 pm

tumblr_n5kgwzzHYc1smcbm7o1_400.gif
Captain Goddammit wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:51 pm
I Am Not Nice wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:10 pm
there's no way in Hell that I'd agree to go to Burning Man
My favorite of your quotes.

Look everyone, I said something positive!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:28 pm

I thought if you left, you stopped logging in and checking posts.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:34 pm

Want to know what the mod with the masturbating avatar looks like from the front in response to posts like these?
wanker.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:11 pm

Bye, Felicia
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Post by sparr » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:25 am

I've been to the event in question. It is not in any way a burn, or even remotely Burning Man related. Some burners show up, there's some fire spinning, that's the whole connection. 90% of the people there are Chicago locals who are just attending a party in the park, watching some spinning performances.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:03 pm

Roll on through, tumbleweed.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Return to “ePlaya Feedback”