Positive Feedback

We're doing it wrong...we know
jcliff
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Positive Feedback

Post by jcliff » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:27 pm

I've been thinking a lot about Marian Goodell's Cultural Correcting post, mostly for how it applies to my Crew's ongoing work with new Lamplighter acculturation. I keep coming back to my own start with Burning Man. Back in that day (2008) ePlaya was the go-to source for folks looking to research all things Burning Man. I didn't know anyone who had ever been, and I went solo in my inaugural year, so I got everything from ePlaya. Most important for me was being able to research camps that were good for Noobs and solo folks....which directed me toward Lamplighters. I was attracted to the idea that getting in with a working camp that has a shared purpose is the best way to get into a Burn. Now, 11-12 years later, I've taken time every year to think about how my life would be different if I hadn't received that direction. My Lamplighter Family is truly that, and it's offered me some of the closest friendships that I have. Twenty-four of us are vacationing in Costa Rica together this June!

Back to ePlaya....I think the emergence of social media as the source of Burning Man information has been a detriment? for our Cultural Course. ePlaya has always offered a depth and breadth of information, opinion, advice, knowledge, etc. that has never been available from social media. I wish the BOrg did more to push it out to participants as a valued source for research and community interaction.

I just wanted to say that I'm grateful to have cut my teeth with ePlaya when I did. I've relied on this community many times over the years for trusted advice, and I've always gotten it. I go here when I want to know more. Many thanks to all the Mods and regular posters that keep ePlaya relevant. Fuck your day!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Positive Feedback

Post by lucky420 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:52 pm

Smoooooooch ^^^ great post jcliff

I too cut my bm teeth on eplaya. I also knew no one who had been so 2 of my kids and I were solo bad asses our first 2 years. Then we joined TK with Dye with Dignity out of Barbies. We moved from there to the 404 Village not found 3 years ago.

I also think about the friends made, the fun times, the irritated times :wink: but it’s been a great ride so far and yes I do owe a thank you to eplaya,the mods and everyone else here. SALUD!

This will be my 10th, I finally feel like a vet burner
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:49 pm

I am really glad to hear the kind words. There is that delicate balance of valuable information, gentle ribbing, humor, camaraderie and outright snark. With Facebook, Instagram and other popular forums available, we are really working hard to be true to the mission.

Over the past several weeks, I have seen many old faces popping back up here. I hope that eplaya remains the welcoming place for first timers are well as the seasoned, crusty burners.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:48 pm

Far out man, far out!

Thousand Yard Stare!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:10 pm

I found ePlaya a year before you and I too found it to be very helpful and informative. One thing I always appreciated was the ePlaya meet and greet on playa. I liked the idea of knowing that I would be meeting the people I met here. It helped to keep it real. You are more aware of what you say online when you know you'll be meeting the people reading what you post.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:13 am

Having been a denizen if ePlaya before we had the snazzy phpBB software, when it was a glorified listserve ...

EPlaya has its ebbs and flows, it can be an intimidating place from time to time, but compared to the general pulse of the Internet at large, it’s not that bad of place to hang your hat and shoot the breeze with like minded villains.

Over the decades the only place that came close to the utility and zeitgeist of the burn was the now defunct Tribe gizmo.

And for those itching to smell some 20 year old, never washed, worn daily Playa socks ... 3Playa is still around with ghosts of decades past.

Now if we could only insert a lesson for all new users during registration on how to use the google site: ePlaya.burningman.org “ask me how great I am” search ...

Luigi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: VW Bus Camp

Post by Luigi » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:59 pm

I too found eplaya super helpful before my first time, things like fig jam cooler and two person 6 foot stretch yurt. I did my homework before class and was really comfortable. I mostly agree with captain and token on their views!
"Water is the driving force of all nature. " Leonardo da Vinci

Return to “ePlaya Feedback”