3/8"x14" lag screws for good price

This is the place where you can ask for or offer recommendations for event-related goods and services.
tataumarc
Burning Since: 2017

3/8"x14" lag screws for good price

Postby tataumarc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Lag screws are getting more and more popular these days on Playa. Like most others, I searched the web for lag screws that are the appropriate size and for a good price. I actually had a difficult time in doing this. I finally came across these:

http://www.thefastenerstop.com/product/FS215528.html

I wanted to wait until I received them to make sure they were truly what would work before I shared the resource . There was a little issue with UPS and shipping but the guys over there took care of it right away and fixed everything. I received them yesterday and am very happy. If anybody else is looking for lag screws you might check them out.

See you in the dust!

*this post is in no way a sales pitch nor did I receive any endorsement from the company. I just wanted to share my findings and help other Burners out.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Re: 3/8"x14" lag screws for good price

Postby DoctorIknow » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:05 pm

Good find...(much cheaper including shipping than what's on amazon now.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:27 pm

That is a good price considering the next best option requires you to buy a 50-pack.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Shipping is also roughly $10 regardless of quantity. You'll still benefit from buying 50x or so at a time, but if you want fewer, it's still a decent deal.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Recommendations board, since that's a better fit for shopping recommendations.

TinkerGeorge
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Above The Limit

Postby TinkerGeorge » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:54 pm

I ordered these, and they came in quite partially threaded. (only about 5" of thread, leaving 9" of screw that is *bigger* than the threads having to force its way through the playa, and making the top 9" of the hole easier for even the threaded section to slide out, should it come to that). I suppose pull-out strength is not what you're mostly worried about, and that the hardest, most compacted playa is likely to be at the tip of the screws... anyone have on-playa experience with such partially-threaded lag screws?

Edit: 6 of the lag screws came in with 8 inches of their length threaded, the other 2 came in with just 5 inches threaded.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Weird about the inconsistency. The ones I've gotten from the other shop all had 8" of threading or so.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:14 pm

TinkerGeorge wrote: 6 of the lag screws came in with 8 inches of their length threaded, the other 2 came in with just 5 inches threaded.

I've never measured, but yeah, I have significantly different thread lengths in my collection. On the playa, they've all held fine.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:52 am

It's not a huge problem, that last few inches is the only part reaches firm playa anyway.

Pull-out strength is absolutely why we use lag screws, and with just a few inches of bite about 10 inches below the surface of the playa, it's many times more secure than rebar.

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:48 pm

TinkerGeorge wrote:I ordered these, and they came in quite partially threaded. (only about 5" of thread, leaving 9" of screw that is *bigger* than the threads having to force its way through the playa, and making the top 9" of the hole easier for even the threaded section to slide out, should it come to that). ...

So:
  • some came with 5" of screw thread and 9" of shank,
  • some came with 8" of screw thread and 5" of shank, and
  • the shanks had a larger diameter than the threaded sections.
It's that last one that puzzles me.
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:44 am

Canoe wrote:
  • the shanks had a larger diameter than the threaded sections.
It's that last one that puzzles me.

I think he means that the shank diameter is the same as the major, instead of minor, diameter of the screw.

TinkerGeorge
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Above The Limit

Postby TinkerGeorge » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:04 pm

I think he means that the shank diameter is the same as the major, instead of minor, diameter of the screw.

Correct! Thanks for the clarification, Canoe and BBadger.

I also just ran these into dirt, as a test, and while the ones threaded only 5" of their length took a bit more time (almost twice as long? still well under 30 seconds) with the impact driver, they went in OK, and came out no problem.

Side-note, I have been very impressed with the service I've gotten from the fastener stop. I complained to them about the surprise at the partial threading, they responded quickly, and when I mentioned I would know better if it would be a problem after I tested them at the San Diego regional this past weekend, they followed up this morning and offered to make it right if I had any problems. A+ for The Fastener Stop.

Return to “Recommendations”