Looking for a used shade structure

This is the place where you can ask for or offer recommendations for event-related goods and services.
unkulunkulu
Burning Since: 2019

Looking for a used shade structure

Post by unkulunkulu » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:37 pm

For mods: if this is not the correct forum, please move my post!

Hello, everyone! My camp is looking at different options to get hold of a shade structure for a chill zone for our camp. One of the options is trying to buy something used from burners so here I'm on eplaya :)
Maybe you have a shade structure you used previously or know someone or have any other suggestions on where to look for it.

This is what we came up with regarding requirements:

- Last years chill space was 20’ x 40’ (7m x 13m)
- 20’ x 40’ was a good size, should aim for something similar this year
- Must withstand wind
- Must be able to assemble it without fancy equipment (hand tools are fine)
- Should have sides that can be open or closed (protect from dust when needed, open when not)
- Suggestion: consider how to make it less isolated from the rest of the city, and more inviting to people outside of our camp

Thank you for any input!
The only thing safer would be to just not jump out of the airplane.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Looking for a used shade structure

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:03 am

You might look at the FB group b_ m_ classifieds, regional specific FB groups that allow commerce, occasionally you will find this on Craigs in larger burner cities. I'm not part of the FB group b_ m_ camp organizers or the b_ m_ camp organizer discussion group so I don't know their commerce policies.

That size and capable of keeping dust out sounds like an aluminum frame event tent. Even though they are made in China they are very expensive. In a major city they should be rentable, sometimes you find event rental cos selling them.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

unkulunkulu

Post by unkulunkulu » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have no experience with buying those, can you elaborate a bit on “very expensive”? I think we’re trying to make it 3k$ for this

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:57 pm

Hey there, You know the decommodification principle in the 10 principles.
ePlaya is an official arm of the Burning Man OrganizationTM. Therefore it is very strict on buying and selling posts and comments.
So generally we provide obscured hints that are easily searchable and we avoid discussing prices. We trust readers to figure it out and research their price.
I realize that is not the style of demanding an answer and persisting demanding from other Internet sources.

ePlaya is a great source, hope you stay involved for the things we can do that are not commodified.

unkulunkulu

Post by unkulunkulu » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:44 pm

Oh I see, I did not understand that extends beyond the playa, will lurk more regarding that, thank you for your help!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:52 pm

SSE speaks truth.

If y’all are looking for the path of least resistance, four Costco Carports will give you that footprint and are all-included kits with sidewalls that are removable.

Carports are proven out there provided you follow some basic sane securing procedures on which you can find detailed discussions on these forums.

Remember that the journey is just as important as the destination. Buying your way into a BM experience is ... less than enthusiastically received in these parts of the Interwebs. No judgement, just gentle guidance ;)

unkulunkulu

Post by unkulunkulu » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:25 am

I’m a noob, gyus, I was lurking quite a bit, but turns out I don’t quite feel it, you mean buying any commodity structures is not how things are supposed to be at Burning Man? We will decorate it inside and out to make it unique and fun, no offense taken just trying to understand.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:52 am

Burning Man is built on buying!

If you can DIY-build-it that is ideal. That would apply to costumes, for example. The Figjam cooler is an example. Building your mutant art car.

The next best is buying from burners, at garage sales, costume makers, from other camps phasing. Sometimes a burner will sell their mutant art car.

Next next best is from individual craftspersons - etsy, or a small business making tents, as an example.

But realistically most of the material culture of the event is from large manufacturers. There is a burner shade structure small businesses, but I would wager all their components are manufactured in China.

So consider your source, and think in advance of how you will dispose-send on all the things to their next life.

All in my opinion, of course!

To your exact question, individualistically decorating your shade structure is truly in the spirit of the event.
It can be used or new bought, a Chinese wedding-event tent, Costco carport, burner or greenhouse supplier shade house, a giant canvas military or circus tent, DPW-style limber from Canada and polyester shade cloth from where, something you build from metal tent fittings and aluminum or steel pipe with Chinese tarps or with Israeli sparkle shade cloth.
No guilt.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:56 pm

unkulunkulu wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:25 am
I’m a noob, gyus, I was lurking quite a bit, but turns out I don’t quite feel it, you mean buying any commodity structures is not how things are supposed to be at Burning Man? We will decorate it inside and out to make it unique and fun, no offense taken just trying to understand.
No, nothing like that.

We all bring stuff that was bought one way or another.

It’s about getting creative, growing and learning along the way.

What it’s about is learning the culture.

The “education” part of the journey is that as a community we share know-how, we help out, we do community effort.

Going out and just throwing a wad of cash at something last minute ... not the way the place should work. We are collectively better than that.

So, consider the four carports approach - you still buy a commercial product but then use it in a creative way.

It’s readily available from many vendors.

It’s got tons of flexibility and much community based collaboration, instructions, modifications etc.

Since you have a month left to solve this, learn how to secure it against the wind and elements ... it’s a good way forward.

unkulunkulu

Post by unkulunkulu » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:13 am

I see, we have more experienced guys in the camp who camped last year, and also we divided our efforts, other guys are looking into getting new carports, I'm personally trying to find something used from burners who might not need it this year.
I guess my mission lies in the mentioned facebook group, they don't seem to approve my request though...

unkulunkulu

Post by unkulunkulu » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:36 am

Hahaha. I finally got an approve for bm classifieds, now I get it with all those build-camp-as-a-service offerings... Nonono not like that :)))

Return to “Recommendations”