Is the right bubble wrap for RV windows?

This is the place where you can ask for or offer recommendations for event-related goods and services.
Rusty Needles
Burning Since: 2016

Is the right bubble wrap for RV windows?

Postby Rusty Needles » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:16 pm

I want to keep the heat out and saw "Aluminum Bubble Wrap" but wasn't sure if that's the right type of it.

Thanks!!!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Is the right bubble wrap for RV windows?

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:28 pm

Yes, many use reflectix for that.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Rusty Needles

Postby Rusty Needles » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:45 pm

Sweet thanks.. And I see people talking about putting it on the outside and over the window frames too?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:50 pm

You know, a bunch of free newspapers from whatever local cafe you got in town will pretty much achieve the same thing.

Double up a few pages, make sure all the personals are readable from outside, maybe some strip joint ads. That would be fun.

Spend tha money on good painters tape instead. The kind that doesn't leave sticky on the RV.

Rusty Needles

Postby Rusty Needles » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:54 pm

excellent idea. Sex ads everywhere. :)

just to confirm you're doing it on the outside of the windows?

Drawingablank

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:05 pm

I've put it inside because its easier to access and no chance of blowing off, but it is said to work better when placed on the outside.

Use fresh good quality painters tape so you don't leave residue.

Most RV windows have 2 slots at the bottom for water drainage - tape over those or dust will enter there.

Tape over the stovetop exhaust vent as well since dust will enter there as well.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Drawingablank

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:12 pm

BTW there is a thread for RV's at viewtopic.php?f=277&t=78622 which you might want to keep an eye on as well.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:50 pm

Ive given this thread a nudge to the Recommendations board, since that's a better fit.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:09 am

Reflectix is a miracle. You can put it on with painters tape or stucco tape. It's pricy but worth it. You can cut the reflectix to cover just the glass or the whole frame. It's expensive and bulky but doesn't seem to wear out. Mines a few years old and still looks brand new.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Rusty Needles

Postby Rusty Needles » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:16 am

All great info thanks! Been checking out all the forms.

Will Gaffers tape cook in the Sun? I got Gaffers tape for the outside for the aluminum foil covering but I read somewhere that the tape can get cooked in the Sun and then leave a residue. Shold I worry about that in 8 days?

Skuzzy61

Postby Skuzzy61 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:24 am

Token wrote:You know, a bunch of free newspapers from whatever local cafe you got in town will pretty much achieve the same thing.

Double up a few pages, make sure all the personals are readable from outside, maybe some strip joint ads. That would be fun.

Spend tha money on good painters tape instead. The kind that doesn't leave sticky on the RV.

Definitely a cheaper solution, but you are limited to placing the paper inside the glass, whereas putting the Reflectix (or similar material) on the outside does offer more benefit as it pertains to blocking heat/UV from the inside.

Yes, the tape is critical. We will have extra rolls to gift, in the odd case someone brings something like electrical tape with them. EEK!

I just hope 200 sq. ft. of Reflectix is enough for the 28' RV. I really do not have room to carry any more than that. Well, and keep the RV where it can be easily inspected at the gate.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

Rusty Needles

Postby Rusty Needles » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:37 am

Does gaffers tape cook in the Sun and leave residue?

Skuzzy61

Postby Skuzzy61 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:41 am

Rusty Needles wrote:Does gaffers tape cook in the Sun and leave residue?

I have never used gaffers tape outside before. Take a piece of it, attach it to a cheap aluminum pie pan and set it in direct sunlight for a few days.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

Rusty Needles

Postby Rusty Needles » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:14 am

hmm... I don't have that kind of heat or sun here right now to test that.

What are most people using outside to secure the Reflectix?

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:38 am

Stucco tape and blue tape as a back up if i run out

Rusty Needles

Postby Rusty Needles » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:39 am

Ratty are u saying you use gaffers tape outside wth no sun issues?

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:42 am

No. Go to home depot and buy Stucco tape. Its pricey abot 7 or 8 dollars but it stays put and leaves no residue

Rusty Needles

Postby Rusty Needles » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:51 am

great... thanks for that. I bought the gaffers which was 16 per roll. Will return that and get the stucco tape instead.

Skuzzy61

Postby Skuzzy61 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:18 am

Rusty Needles wrote:hmm... I don't have that kind of heat or sun here right now to test that.
<snip>

Lucky you. :)

I am bringing several rolls of 3" painters tape. Tested in a week of 104F heat and it did good. Clean pull away.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:04 am

We used Reflectex in our bus which is obviously mostly windows. While it didn't lock in the cool of the night it did make a huge difference keeping the heat of the day out. Of course the down side was that the inside of the bus was freaking dark even in the daytime. A small price to pay IMHO.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:30 pm

Ratty wrote:No. Go to home depot and buy Stucco tape. Its pricey abot 7 or 8 dollars but it stays put and leaves no residue

Stucco tape is the best proven Playa Tested solution.

Reports of painter's tape not holding as well as it used to. Old/stale? Made differently? (some is made differently from what it used to be)

Reflectix goes on the outside of windows that are IN THE SUN, and should cover over the frames so they don't bake in the sun!!!
(frames in the sun can get so hot that touching one inside can burn you; that's conducting in a lot of heat; if they're black frames, it's not uncommon to feel that heat radiating onto your face from as far as four feet away (and by mid-morning))

If your in-the-sun window needs to double as an emergency exit, then do not cover it on the outside. Instead:
  • Cover the frames on the outside with painters tape, then carefully put aluminum tape over the painters tape. Do not get the aluminum tape on the frame, glass or the RV sides anything but the painter's tape.
  • Install the Reflectix on the inside of the windows.
    Due to sun coming in the glass and onto the frame that is exposed there, where possible extend the reflectix on the inside out beyond the frames by at least three inches. Consider six inches. If black frames, consider a double or triple layer of reflectix where it is over the frames.
Too dark inside?
North facing windows aren't in the sun and can be covered on the inside as you're not addressing sun-baked frames conducting tons of heat inside.
Then cut a one inch square in the Reflectix: lets in enough light to navigate by, while admitting minimal heat.
(North frames do absorb radiated heat (the air and ground get really hot and radiate lots of heat), so if they're black do cover the frames on the outside with painters tape, then carefully put aluminum tape over the painters tape. Do not get the aluminum tape on anything but the painter's tape.)

Skylights will bake your RV. But for these install the reflectix on the inside and extend past the frame at least three inches. Consider a double or triple layer of Reflectix. Like North facing windows, to have some light, you can have a one inch hole in the middle of the Reflectix and have another small piece of Reflectix to tape over it. Pull it off to have light in the bathroom, cover it again to keep the heat out.
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Skuzzy61

Postby Skuzzy61 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:00 am

We solved the light problem with a solar powered/battery backed LED lantern. Our bike headlights also double as flashlights.

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Postby sadie » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:26 am

I have used gaff tape for the past two years. There are no issues with it
leaving any residue. I use it to seal the gap where my solar panel cable
enters through the window....it touches the glass and the frame...no problems.
It would work fine for you if you don't have time to go exchange it.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:07 am

Glad your Gaffer's tape worked for you.

Before Stucco tape was available/discovered, Gaffer's was the top choice for performance on the playa, even if it was pricey.
  • Gaffer's tape will almost always hold outside on the playa.
  • Along with its low- or no-residue (depends on the tape).
  • But there are some reports of items secured with Gaffer's getting loose in the heat, usually with a high wind. This is NOT common, but it can happen.
  • If I'm remembering correctly, in the cases where Gaffer's didn't hold, it was black or gray (but they're also the most common/popular colour), except one case where it was white (but the quality of that tape was suspect).
  • If what you're securing is important enough to you, then if outside in the sun, to ensure Gaffer's has the maximum chance to retain its hold in sun/heat in a strong wind, it should be covered over with Foil Tape. Gaffer's is available in white as a distant second to a foil tape on top.

• White Gaffer's is a better choice than black to reduce the heat gain that may reduce adhesive strength, but you'd be surprised how much more heat white will absorb compared to aluminum foil.
  • As heat appears to be the a main factor, I would expect the reduced hold to be aggravated where the tape is used on something black in the sun. Like a black frame in the sun, as the heat the frame gains is huge; as in, touch it and you're burnt. If you're taping to something black in the sun, consider something to cover the black to limit heat gain. Somewhere on eplaya, someone posted an aluminum spray-can paint that used actual aluminum as pigment.
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:37 pm

I had issues specifically with stucco tape peeling away from reflectix after a while in the heat. I used it to encase my coolers in reflectix. It stopped peeling once the coolers were inside the hexayurt with some AC cooling.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:03 pm

I used reflectix for my van and was very satisfied. I DID learn that it comes in many forms. the first roll I used was all plastic like electrical tape and was good for 30 day removal. The stuff I bought at home Depot this year was reinforced like strapping tape and good for 7 day removal. they both worked fine. I had to wipe everything down to attac it.

I ave a broken keyboard so fill in te blanks.

Skuzzy61

Postby Skuzzy61 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:32 pm

The painters tape (3" wide) I used worked splendidly with the Reflectix. No residue and easy off. Before attaching I wiped the area tape would be applied with alcohol. I applied two overlapping strips to each edge of the Reflectix.

After 9 days in the Playa, only a few edges showed signs of early release.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:13 am

On the advice I read here I got a few rolls of the red stucco tape.
The stuff was pretty impressive. With the help of a tiny bit of blue painters tape it was able to create the Black Rock City Coast Guard!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

korierika4
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Temple of the flying spaghetti monster

Postby korierika4 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Token wrote:You know, a bunch of free newspapers from whatever local cafe you got in town will pretty much achieve the same thing.

Would this possibly work for a cargo van?
The answer may not be at Burning Man, but shouldn't we at least check :?:

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Ummm. NO. Those papers will be mooping all to hell and back. Reflectix bubble wrap from home depot and painters tape will keep your RV cooler. It's worth the investment if you plan to use it for several years. Mine is getting ancient and shows no signs of wear.

Return to “Recommendations”