Where can I buy Burning Man themed jewelry?

This is the place where you can ask for or offer recommendations for event-related goods and services.
burnertron
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Black Rock Kwoon

Where can I buy Burning Man themed jewelry?

Postby burnertron » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi there, 4-time burner here. Would love to buy some Burning Man themed jewelry for my holiday gift giving, and hopefully support some creative jewelry-making burners. Anyone know where I can find a good selection to order? Specifically looking for a necklace with a silver or gold man emblem. Thanks so much!

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Where can I buy Burning Man themed jewelry?

Postby Meat Hunter » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:28 pm

Due to Copyright and Trademark restrictions, I doubt that you will find much BM related jewelry for sale to choose from.

Or, as the venerable FIGJAM would say, don't buy your BM related jewelry gifts, build them.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:12 pm

The Burning org often has those listings removed from sites like eBay and Etsy. But if you made posts describing what you are looking for and ask for private messages on FB and reddit groups, your regional, you might get some hits, but no seller history. You could also contact Shapeways makers of jewelry and have them custom. Jewelers who do lost wax casting can do custom as well.

Your most cost effective solution would be to buy the chain necklace and blank pendant at a wholesale jewelry supplier in your preferred metal, then take that to a water jet or laser etcher with your CAD file - those services are available in good size cities. Get some extra pendants to calibrate the cutting, and you might need a jeweler to do some polishing.

I think your timing may make this difficult, custom takes time.

Usually people have swag manufactured in the Spring and Summer and they don't return with leftovers after the event.

There are good legal reasons for the controls in place. Maybe the Burning Org should start a licensed market place and take their cut?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:39 pm

I'm moving this over to the Recommendations board, since that's a better fit for 'what do I buy' discussions. What Meat Hunter said. While Burning Man does allow for camps and projects to make use of intellectual property for the purpose of gifting (that is, the making and giving of gifts, not the buying of gifts from merchants), they do not license it for commercial purposes.

If you really want to give a special someone in your life a piece of Burning Man themed or inspired jewelry.... design and make it yourself.

My girlfriend and I wanted a cool 'burner' ring, so she put together a 3D design and got it set up on a site that offers fancy 3D printing options. Here is the link to the ring, if you like you're welcome to pick from the different available metals and pay them whatever the cost is to have it made. Do it quick, individually made 3D printed nonsense takes a couple weeks to get done.

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Postby torrey.smith » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:24 am

I make BM jewelry and pendants, but here's the rub: They're not for sale.

We are allowed to use these as fundraiser rewards for our BM projects, but we have to be very careful about not going down the slippery slope. Typically we do a targeted fundraiser with a crowdfunding website so all transactions are directly linked to a specific fundraiser (we're still learning how to do that effectively).

We've actually given out at least 10x more man pendant bottle openers at events and on Playa than we've ever used as fundraiser rewards. We like to say you can get one for $100 on our fundraiser, or get one for free at a BM event, your choice.

Where do you live? I definitely recommend considering making these yourself, especially if you have a makerspace like TechShop in your vicinity. The process of designing and making something like this adds a lot to the overall experience, expanding the feeling of the burn IMHO.

As they say, make a man a fire and you warm him for a night. Set a man on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life. (Or was it a fish?) Our hearts go out to everyone affected by the tragedy in Oakland this weekend btw. I know anything "burn" related is very sensitive right now :( :( :(

Sarge

Return to “Recommendations”