"Daytime stay"-friendly hotels in Reno?

This is the place where you can ask for or offer recommendations for event-related goods and services.
Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

"Daytime stay"-friendly hotels in Reno?

Postby Papa Bear » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:54 pm

So, the plan is for my wife & kids to exit the event on the Burner Express bus, then take a late afternoon flight from Reno home. It would be really convenient for them to be able to check into a hotel for a few hours in between to get clean and give the kids some downtime.

Problem is that for most hotels the "official" check-in time is after 3 pm, whereas we'd be looking for something before noon. I'm sure we can call around and find a place willing to accommodate if they've got space, but I'm also sure we're not the first to have ever tried this.

Can anyone who has done this before offer suggestions, whether that be a for a specific hotel that's been shown to be friendly to this sort of deal, or just the best way to inquire about it? To be clear, we're happy to pay for a full night - we're not looking for a discount, just earlier-than-usual availability.

(As for me, I'll be helping strike an art installation, then driving the two days home. I'm pretty sure I'll have the easier end of the deal.)

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: "Daytime stay"-friendly hotels in Reno?

Postby lucky420 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:13 pm

What day are they heading into Reno? It could be a full weekend for the hotels here. I've found the Sands has let me check in early (last time was at 11am but it was a weekend in January). Maybe they could hang at the GSR poolside. There is a fee to get in but you don't have to be a guest. They've expanded and maybe they could rent a cabana.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Or reserve a room for the day before and let the desk know she won't be there til the next day. You'd be paying for 2 nights
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Papa Bear

Postby Papa Bear » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Argh, I'd have sworn I went back and edited my post to add that information. They'll be leaving on Monday morning, post-event.

SteveInRealLife
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Fjorgyn / Stag Camp co-founder

Postby SteveInRealLife » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:19 pm

If all you're looking for is a place to personally clean up and chill, I would look into an airbnb. There are lots, but they get booked up quickly here before, during, and after the burn. Depending on the level of anticipated shit-show, however, you may want to consider doing the primary clean up in Pyramid Lake on the way back. Having a swim heading back to Reno is a long time tradition for a lot of folks and it can provide some much needed stress relief, cool down, and a place to relax for free. Some of the beaches at Pyramid are sandy and nice. The water can leave a little film on people, so it might still be a good idea to stop and have a nice shower up afterward, but Pyramid could give your wife a chance to shake things out in a playa free environment while your kids goof around. Sometimes, a little pre-game is just the thing...

Papa Bear

Postby Papa Bear » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:43 pm

SteveInRealLife wrote:Depending on the level of anticipated shit-show, however, you may want to consider doing the primary clean up in Pyramid Lake on the way back.

That's an interesting idea (and hopefully will be helpful for other readers of this thread). In this case, though, they're taking the Burner Express bus, so making that stop isn't an option. AirBnB is a definite possibility, though - I'd completely spaced it.

Given that we'll have access to showers at the camp through Saturday, the family shouldn't be too horribly crusty when they hit Reno (modulo whatever the weather Sunday is like, of course). My wife and I are experienced burners, this is just the first time we'll have the kids in tow.

SteveInRealLife
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Fjorgyn / Stag Camp co-founder

Postby SteveInRealLife » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Papa Bear wrote:
SteveInRealLife wrote:Depending on the level of anticipated shit-show, however, you may want to consider doing the primary clean up in Pyramid Lake on the way back.

That's an interesting idea (and hopefully will be helpful for other readers of this thread). In this case, though, they're taking the Burner Express bus, so making that stop isn't an option. AirBnB is a definite possibility, though - I'd completely spaced it.

Given that we'll have access to showers at the camp through Saturday, the family shouldn't be too horribly crusty when they hit Reno (modulo whatever the weather Sunday is like, of course). My wife and I are experienced burners, this is just the first time we'll have the kids in tow.

Yeah, sorry - I know you mentioned they were taking the bus and I totally spaced it replying.

Airbnb is where it's at - you can't reason with hotel staff on a sensible level, usually, but airbnb hosts are typically pretty cool about discussing things ahead of time. We have an airbnb host facebook group here in Reno, too. If you like, I can ask any of the hosts involved there any questions you might have. In the interest of remaining conflict-of-interest free (and to refrain from advertising on eplaya), I won't tell you which place is mine if you should happen to look into Reno listings.

On a note of personal taste, I HATE showering on the playa unless I can do it in an RV, otherwise I feel dirtier than I did when I started, typically. I was a wildland firefighter for years here in Nevada and got pretty well used to being disgusting for weeks on end while managing to maintain some semblance of hygiene and that's typically my playa MO. Top and tails sponge bath as needed.

Papa Bear

Postby Papa Bear » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:58 pm

SteveInRealLife wrote:Yeah, sorry - I know you mentioned they were taking the bus and I totally spaced it replying.

No worries. Like I said, I'm sure someone else will find it useful. As I see it, threads like this are are meant to be helpful for lurkers and later readers just as much as anyone else.

SteveInRealLife wrote:I HATE showering on the playa unless I can do it in an RV, otherwise I feel dirtier than I did when I started

I can see that.

We get it better than most, since our shower is heated and pump-driven, so easier to be effective with than the typical solar shower bag. It's also just for getting bodies washed - we don't allow washing hair in the shower, since it is so much more water-efficient to get up on one of the headwashing stations (outside of public hours, of course) and have a campmate wash it for you.

It is striking how much getting your head clean makes you aware of how gross the rest of you is, though.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:02 pm

I'm giving this a nudge to the Recommendations board, since that's a better fit for threads like this.

Return to “Recommendations”